Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 16-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
KaLiB

1) Yes, liverocks will go into the tank right from the start during cycling. The sand should go in as well if you are opting for a sand bed.

2) Skimmer can go in after cycling.

3) Yes, they should be in together with the liverocks and running from day 1.

4) In general, take a good look at the rock and look out for pests like aiptasia or large crabs(might harm fish). Rocks with pests on them should be avoided. You can also smell the rock and avoid those that have a rotten egg smell or are very smelly in general.

On the other hand, it's good to pick pieces with good coralline algae growth. I would opt for odd shaped rocks as well as they would be easier to stack than round, boulder like ones. You can pick some flat pieces to make caves and overhands in your rock work. I usually try to visualize how the pieces can come together when I pick my rocks.
Old 16-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Jackyx
Arofanatic

Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6015(1800L/H) or 6025 (2800L/H).

Will the 1800L/H be enough?
Jackyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
Jackyx
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
1) Yes, liverocks will go into the tank right from the start during cycling. The sand should go in as well if you are opting for a sand bed.

2) Skimmer can go in after cycling.

3) Yes, they should be in together with the liverocks and running from day 1.

4) In general, take a good look at the rock and look out for pests like aiptasia or large crabs(might harm fish). Rocks with pests on them should be avoided. You can also smell the rock and avoid those that have a rotten egg smell or are very smelly in general.

On the other hand, it's good to pick pieces with good coralline algae growth. I would opt for odd shaped rocks as well as they would be easier to stack than round, boulder like ones. You can pick some flat pieces to make caves and overhands in your rock work. I usually try to visualize how the pieces can come together when I pick my rocks.
Cool! Thanks once again, will go get my rock soon when my tank comes! =D
Old 16-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #14
Jackyx
Arofanatic

See so many different brand of Salt Mix.

Anyone care to recommend or share what you using?

Thanks
Old 16-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
best88
Arofanatic

im using blue greasure synthetic sea salt , so far no problem for fishes
best88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #16
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyx View Post
Okie placed order for my tank. =D

Few question on starting.

1) Live Rocks go in right in the beginning ya?yes, pust as many as you want/can, they need to go through together with the cycle.

2) When does the Skimmer go in? During cycling or only after cycled? If you are using uncured liverocks (buy from farm/LFS) you'll need to cycle for at least a month, i would on the skimmer only from the 3rd weeks onwards.

3) I believe Wavemakers are suppose to be the first to start working? Please do correct me if i am wrong. dosn't really matter if the wavemakers are on, probably just turn 1 on if you're using 2.

4) Advise on choosing, what to look out for and anything to note regarding buying of Live Rock.
(Planning to go all the way to Coral Farm to get their Live Rock which i have been reading many bros good comments.)
CF do have one of the best LRs here, but they are still un-cured and full of pest (crabs, worms etc etc), best if you can find reefers who are decomming their tank and are letting go their LRs, this way there's lesser chance of introducing pest, not saying there's none. The only way to get totally pest-free rocks is to buy dry rocks, or buy liverocks and sun-bake them.
Thanks =D
Hope this helps!
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #17
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyx View Post
See so many different brand of Salt Mix.

Anyone care to recommend or share what you using?

Thanks
Blue treasure is cheap and ok for just fishes, if you prefer a more reliable and trusted brand, go for the red sea salt. the normal one will do.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
Jackyx
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by best88 View Post
im using blue greasure synthetic sea salt , so far no problem for fishes
Haven seen that brand while shopping. Will check it out.
Thanks bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
Hope this helps!
Thanks bro, guess i got an idea now. Will post more question if i encounter any issue during cycling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
Blue treasure is cheap and ok for just fishes, if you prefer a more reliable and trusted brand, go for the red sea salt. the normal one will do.
I might settle with Red Sea Salt. Have seen it at Seaview but only the 4kg pack that goes for 2 red notes if i not wrong.
Any idea where i can get bigger packs? better if in those tubs as its easier for me to keep. Also the cost if you dont mind. =D

Thanks all bros once again =D
Old 17-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
KaLiB

The Nanostream 6015(1800l/hr) should be enough for your tank size.
Old 17-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Jackyx
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
The Nanostream 6015(1800l/hr) should be enough for your tank size.
Thanks!

Did some calculation and realised its actually slightly higher than 20x so thats what imma get!

=D