Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 24-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
TuNA
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmij View Post
How is matrix compared to biohome?

As in 1kg compare with 1kg?
Yes, would like to find out about this too...
TuNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
John
Arofanatic

From what i have gathered from what Biohome has put up so far, it seems to be at best in the league of eheim substrate pro. That is the best case scenario, only provided if what they claimed so far is true.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
John
Arofanatic

Biohome is made of the same material as eheim substrate pro (sintered glass)

however, it claims to be able to house both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria like the Matrix.
Old 24-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Lighthouse Aro
Arofanatic

Very useful information.. Can I find out where to get Matrix ? My LFS does not carry. Would appreciate if someone can PM me the price. Thanks.
Lighthouse Aro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
Framejumb0

To obtain Anaerobic filtration using Matrix, you need a slow flow rate. Then the Aerobic nitrifying bacteria colony on the outer shell of media will absorb Oxygen from water flowing around them and Anaerobic will get no Oxygen at the deeper inside media. This will result to Achieve Nitrification and Denitrification at the same media. So for high effieciency denitrification you must provide more Matrix media and slow flow rate. Also Seachem Denitratex is a very good media designed for more dentrification than nitrification resulting low or zero Nitrate in out flow. This will be a very interesting DIY project for anyone who worry about high NitrAte levels.
Old 24-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framejumb0 View Post
To obtain Anaerobic filtration using Matrix, you need a slow flow rate. Then the Aerobic nitrifying bacteria colony on the outer shell of media will absorb Oxygen from water flowing around them and Anaerobic will get no Oxygen at the deeper inside media. This will result to Achieve Nitrification and Denitrification at the same media. So for high effieciency denitrification you must provide more Matrix media and slow flow rate. Also Seachem Denitratex is a very good media designed for more dentrification than nitrification resulting low or zero Nitrate in out flow. This will be a very interesting DIY project for anyone who worry about high NitrAte levels.
Can explain how slow is slow?
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
John
Arofanatic

Bro Framejumbo, just to add,
Seachem Denitratex also has flow rate requirement. ie cannot be too fast too.

I was thinking of this idea:
(1) eheim has this "Prefilter" series. They are essentially the shells of 2213,2215 and 2217 without the motor. inlet and outlet tubes fittings etc are exactly the same.
(2) i intend to put one at the last compartment of my sump and fill it up with Seachem Denitratex
(3) use a low powered pump, something in range of 200L/H to connect to the inlet side. this will provide the flow into the canister.
(4) outlet side just point it right at the sump main return pump.

so in effect, it is a filter within a filter, and i can attain denitrification without compromising the flow rate of the main filtration system.

quite a luxurious idea but i think i will give it a try some day.
Old 24-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #18
John
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Can explain how slow is slow?
bro itchy, quoting from Seachem :

(1) denitrate™ is an economical, natural, porous material with a pore distribution and geometry that promotes both aerobic nitrification within the first few millimeters of depth and anaerobic denitrification at the core. The material has a high surface area and supports a high density of bacteria. Although de nitrate™ has capacity to trap nitrate, this, as with other nitrate retaining materials, such as certain zeolites and synthetic resins, is quite limited and the primary mechanism of nitrate removal is anaerobic.

(2) “Live” rocks or reef rocks remove nitrate by anaerobic denitrification. de nitrate™ removes nitrate by the same process. Efficiency is magnified several folds by forcing the water to filter through the porous de nitrate™. As with reef rock, anaerobic conditions are achieved by the porosity and the depletion of oxygen by the aerobic process at the surface. Excessive flow rates should, therefore, be avoided, as they may impede development of an adequate anaerobic environment to support denitrifying bacteria.
de nitrate™ is also an excellent media for aerobic nitrification and it makes an ideal biological filter in drip trays, canister filters, sumps, or even box filters. At high flow rates (greater than 100 US gallons per hour), it will function solely as an aerobic filter. At slow flow rates (less than 50 US gallons per hour), it will function as both an aerobic filter and an anaerobic denitrifying filter.

(3) For best results, de*nitrate™ should be placed to assure the flow of water through it, such as in a canister filter, chemical filtration module, or box filter. Flow rate should not exceed 200 L (50 gallons*) per hour. If higher flow rates are unavoidable, use Matrix™ or Pond Matrix™. It is best to rinse off dust before use. Once de*nitrate™ has been in use for several days, nitrate concentrations should start to fall and level off gradually at a concentration of about 4–5 mg/L as nitrate. As long as nitrate concentrations remain under control, the product is not exhausted. Each 500 mL of de*nitrate™ treats about 100–200 L (25–50 gallons*), depending on initial nitrate concentration and the current biological load. Enough should be used to remove nitrate at a rate at least as fast as the rate of formation. If very high nitrates are initially present, they should be brought down to less than 20 mg/L with water changes.
Old 24-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #19
Framejumb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Bro Framejumbo, just to add,
Seachem Denitratex also has flow rate requirement. ie cannot be too fast too.

I was thinking of this idea:
(1) eheim has this "Prefilter" series. They are essentially the shells of 2213,2215 and 2217 without the motor. inlet and outlet tubes fittings etc are exactly the same.
(2) i intend to put one at the last compartment of my sump and fill it up with Seachem Denitratex
(3) use a low powered pump, something in range of 200L/H to connect to the inlet side. this will provide the flow into the canister.
(4) outlet side just point it right at the sump main return pump.

so in effect, it is a filter within a filter, and i can attain denitrification without compromising the flow rate of the main filtration system.

quite a luxurious idea but i think i will give it a try some day.
This is good bro. but as I know the prefilter has very small volume after you remove the yellow filter cartridge as below pic. Also if the prefilter sits in sump and the flow is limited to the water disbursed from inlet. So must pay attention to the flow.

Old 24-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #20
John
Arofanatic

No not this one. It is full sized 2217 canister without motor . I bought one from petmart . Its called " eheim classic prefilter 600" . Exactly same body as 2217