Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 04-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #261
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmarine View Post
Hi Bro Atom,
Where do u purchase the deniballs and how much???

Thanks
I get it from aquamart. Better you check it out with regards of pricing from them.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #262
Catmarine

Thanks Bro Atom
Catmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #263
ray2828
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Not really. Try reading through this link as it will give you an overall picture of ORP.

http://canadiankoiandpond.ca/articles/article13.html

The ORP which I am introducing is lean towards denitrification than the general condition of an aquarium.
Very good article...never knew we could add pp into pond system in an emergency. Thanks for the link.
ray2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #264
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray2828 View Post
Very good article...never knew we could add pp into pond system in an emergency. Thanks for the link.
For pond setup, pp is commonly used because of the huge volume of water.
Old 13-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #265
starting out

Hi Atom

Would this controller be ok to use on a de-denitrator?
Your wisdom is greatly welcome and appreciated.
Old 15-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #266
WaterDroplets

instead of a denitrator, can we just add lots of plants in one of the slump compartment with strong lights?
Old 18-12-2008, 01:25 AM   #267
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by starting out View Post
Hi Atom

Would this controller be ok to use on a de-denitrator?
Your wisdom is greatly welcome and appreciated.
It is very good have such a device to be used on the denitrator. It simply takes away the guess work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDroplets View Post
instead of a denitrator, can we just add lots of plants in one of the slump compartment with strong lights?
You can try but I doubt you can have sufficient plants to reside inside the sump.
Old 18-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #268
chonghyen

Hi Bro Atom,

Been reading all this denitrator thingy and have something to ask you

1. whats the diff. between coil type and carbon type denitrator? I meant in terms of pro and cons
2. whats the purpose of feeding?
3. I am not sure whether you have coils in your denitrator and I assume you had. Please correct me if I am wrong.
4. If you got a coils, how long are you using? How to make sure there is already oxygen defficient at the end of the coil? If the coils are too long, anaerobic bac will start to grow on the internal wall of the coils (after the O2 defficient water) hence making the coil easy for blockage.

I am planning another setup of a aro tank (after the jumping suicide of my first aro) and denitrator is on my list.

Thanks a lot
Old 18-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #269
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonghyen View Post
Hi Bro Atom,

Been reading all this denitrator thingy and have something to ask you

1. whats the diff. between coil type and carbon type denitrator? I meant in terms of pro and cons
2. whats the purpose of feeding?
3. I am not sure whether you have coils in your denitrator and I assume you had. Please correct me if I am wrong.
4. If you got a coils, how long are you using? How to make sure there is already oxygen defficient at the end of the coil? If the coils are too long, anaerobic bac will start to grow on the internal wall of the coils (after the O2 defficient water) hence making the coil easy for blockage.

I am planning another setup of a aro tank (after the jumping suicide of my first aro) and denitrator is on my list.

Thanks a lot

For denitrification to happen, the dissolved oxygen level must be removed. This is done by using aerobic bbs to achieve it.

1. For coil denitrator, the aerobic bbs residing inside the coil are used to strip the oxygen. For carbon type denitrator, the aerobic bbs are allowed to mixed together with anaerobic bbs within the reactor.

Since coil has small diameter, there is a tendency to choke easily.

2. Aerobic bbs require oxygen to nitrify ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. Anerobic bbs require carbon to denitrify nitrate. To maintain or increase the level of carbon available, carbon base compound is introduced artificially. This is called ....feeding.

3. I do not used coil for my current setup.

4. The longer the coil, the better chancesof achieving the reduction of oxygen. Having the anerobic bbs to reside within the coil is perfectly fine. Exposing to light source causes more choke than others.
Old 18-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #270
chonghyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
For denitrification to happen, the dissolved oxygen level must be removed. This is done by using aerobic bbs to achieve it.

1. For coil denitrator, the aerobic bbs residing inside the coil are used to strip the oxygen. For carbon type denitrator, the aerobic bbs are allowed to mixed together with anaerobic bbs within the reactor.

Since coil has small diameter, there is a tendency to choke easily.

2. Aerobic bbs require oxygen to nitrify ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. Anerobic bbs require carbon to denitrify nitrate. To maintain or increase the level of carbon available, carbon base compound is introduced artificially. This is called ....feeding.

3. I do not used coil for my current setup.

4. The longer the coil, the better chancesof achieving the reduction of oxygen. Having the anerobic bbs to reside within the coil is perfectly fine. Exposing to light source causes more choke than others.
Appreciate your prompt response...

Actually I am planning on a coil type denitrator... Did some research in the internet and they didnt even mention feeding except those sold commercially... Based on the answer of yours above, seems like coil type denitrator also need to be feed... From my understanding, when there is unpleasant of oxygen, anerobic bbs use up the O- (oxygen in NO3-) to denitrify like the following steps:

NO3- → NO2- → NO → N2O → N2 gas

redox equation:

2NO3- + 10e- + 12H+ → N2 + 6H2O

I consider the carbon you fed is to supply the 12H+. But carbon is C and H+ stand for hydrogen ions. Mind to explain further of the feeding part? Do you know whats the content of your deniballs?

Thanks