Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 29-03-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
ItEndyCatAro

Default Blue and white light tube

i got a T5 4 tube light...each tube is 8w...2 blue 2 white...wanted to ask if the light coming out from 1 white 1blue... is it the same as 2 white tube? i'm talking about lighting for plants...will 2 white tube (16w) be stronger than 1white 1blue(still 16w)
Old 29-03-2009, 02:29 AM   #2
Newtank

this has a lot to do with Spectrum and Color of the lights. There are some beliefs that blue light (10K color) causes algae. Again, there are also talks that pink lights does not help plants, but if you look at dennerle, Arcadia, Sera, you have to start wondering if this is the case, then why are all these big brands still making pink lights?
Old 29-03-2009, 02:34 AM   #3
ItEndyCatAro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtank View Post
this has a lot to do with Spectrum and Color of the lights. There are some beliefs that blue light (10K color) causes algae. Again, there are also talks that pink lights does not help plants, but if you look at dennerle, Arcadia, Sera, you have to start wondering if this is the case, then why are all these big brands still making pink lights?
hmm ic, so is the blue light suitable for plants? cos my 4 tubes are operated by 2 switch, 1 switch for 2 tube...current arrangement of the lights are one blue one white to a switch...so was wondering if i should put both white together...cos i only on 1 switch...wanted to ask bros here if one white one blue is ok for plants growth a not, or should i switch to both white
Old 30-03-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
brfc

you may want to read up on this article i found recently.
http://www.aquajournal.net/na/notes/002/index.html

from what i understand, blue light can penetrate deeper and its intensity doesn't drop as much as red light. thats why the sea is blue.

according the article, should look for those around 7, 000 to 8,000 K range, better for plants
Old 30-03-2009, 03:08 AM   #5
ItEndyCatAro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfc View Post
you may want to read up on this article i found recently.
http://www.aquajournal.net/na/notes/002/index.html

from what i understand, blue light can penetrate deeper and its intensity doesn't drop as much as red light. thats why the sea is blue.

according the article, should look for those around 7, 000 to 8,000 K range, better for plants
wow, nice article...thx bro...=D i'll try out with my blue and white combination for now then