Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 25-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #51
Betta Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphone View Post
No worries. Yup...over the years, learnt alot from the bros here as well as read from web. Wrt to feeding, the wild caught ones are normally the very shy ones and it will take a long time for them to get used to you. However, those F1 are easier to accustomed to you as well as the Mblues and Burundis. I guess their variants does have some effects. I used to have a bunch of young F1 Mobas and they defy all shyness and always eat from my clippers, so if you train them from young, then end result may be different. As for my tank, I usually use the plastic spoon to tab lightly on the glass, followed by food, so over time, the F1 are less shy to come forward, but being fronts, any sudden
movement will still cause them to dash....just some food for thoughts
Tks of for the tip, what type of fronts are you keeping and how long have you had them before they recognize you. What are your views on the different species and strains of fronts - is there a character difference????

Last edited by Betta Mania; 25-08-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old 25-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #52
Epiphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Mania View Post
Tks of for the tip, what type of fronts are you keeping and how long have you had them before they recognize you. What are your views on the different species and strains of fronts - is there a character difference????
In my tank, they are all Moba Zaire. They can be easily identified by the "zorro" mask across their face, deep purplish blue and clear strips. As for MBlue, they have that very nice metallic blue above their head, which stretches back to the top fin. As for the rest, well...I dun have much experience. Hope the link below can be of some help.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...ariant_map.php

From some of the sites that I read, when we buy from LFS or import from overseas, we based on what the LFS or seller says about the variant. Fronts are found at very deep waters and thus, the Fronts are not easily located, as they will swim around the area. InLake Tanganyika, there are a few catchers and each catcher will never tell the exact location of where they caught the particular variant. More often than not, they will state that they caught this at some other location, so as to divert the competitors....As such, the variant may not the actual variant based on which part of the lake they thrive in. Furthermore, with constant civil war going on, its even harder for these catchers to venture into war torn regions....