Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 29-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
avex30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
There's certainly enough space to fit K1 media inside the TOTTO but cannot put alot.
gryphon is very right that the TOTTO airstone is of a very good quality as I'm only using an Ehiem 3704 (split to 6 other things)
bro just my own observation i think the base too wide some of the K1 after coated with BB will tend to sink. It might land on the side...

Unless you're using the smaller one but than again the smaller have lesser space to put more K1.
Old 29-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
Navanod
Arofanatic

Smaller one cannot even fit in the K1...and someone told me they're noisier.
Noted the part about the K1 just sinking...need a VERY powderful airpump?
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
avex30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
Smaller one cannot even fit in the K1...and someone told me they're noisier.
Noted the part about the K1 just sinking...need a VERY powderful airpump?
not really need a powerful air pump bro just need the bubble to cover the base so that it can keep the k1 afloat. if your base is wide and the air stone is concentrating at the centre... might have k1 landing on the side and not moving.

Just my thought maybe you give it a try you can enclose the base with a mesh netting just a suggestion.
Old 30-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #24
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

how about using an air disc to generate bubbles across the entire cross-section area?
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #25
vannel

You don't really need to cover the whole base. As long as there is sufficient amount of flow, you should be able to get all the K1 to move in a circular fashion. This being said, if the base is obviously too large.. the circular displacement of water will not be able to reach some areas.

Usually, an inverted cone is used to minimise the base area and direct the sinking K1 towards the air outlet. Don't think I've seen anyone employ the use of an upright cone with the base larger than the top.

My air outlet runs along 1 side of my inverted bottle instead of the middle. This ensures a constant flow of K1 media in a circular motion.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
Koji™
Account Disabled

Mine. Nothing to do yesterday so make one and attach to my sponge filter
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #27
Koji™
Account Disabled

For those who are more greedy and wanna make a bigger one. Please be aware that the media float very well thuse you either need a good heavy weight to weight the whole setup down or you anchor them to piping in the tank which I did.

I use those big drink bottle and fill the bottle with 75% K1 media in there.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #28
TRIX
Senior Dragon

May I ask, is using K1 media filtration system better than normal canister with normal s.glass media? Thanks
TRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #29
avex30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIX View Post
May I ask, is using K1 media filtration system better than normal canister with normal s.glass media? Thanks
bro depend on the amount of bio-load if keep low bio-load like shrimps still not too bad. But if you keeping fish than you have some ugly apparatus in your tank that might spolit the view.

hahaha
Old 11-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #30
avex30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
For those who are more greedy and wanna make a bigger one. Please be aware that the media float very well thuse you either need a good heavy weight to weight the whole setup down or you anchor them to piping in the tank which I did.

I use those big drink bottle and fill the bottle with 75% K1 media in there.
Bro abit too much the flow not enough.