Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 16-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
slypower50
Dragon

Default Chances of crossbreeding?

Hi all, very new to shrimps keeping.. However, one question struck my mind.. pardon me if it sounds stupid..
Example:

In a tank there exists :

1 Male cherry 1 Female cherry
1 Male Snowball 1 Female Snowball

All assumption that they are normal, able to breed.
What will be the percentage of crossbreeding? Or it is random? Does the shrimp choose their partner to breed? Since they are so different in colour-wise?
Thanks in advance.
slypower50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
Phira

Hey...

I don't think that theres a percentage of crossbreeding, but I can't be certain.

From what I know, when a female is ready to breed, she releases some sort of "scent" or something into the water. This "scent" attracts males of the same species. I don't think any selection of mates occurs, just depends on who can pick up this scent and who gets there first.

Anyway, I don't suggest keeping cherries with snowballs. The hybrids they produce are quite dull...
Old 17-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
slypower50
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phira View Post
Hey...

I don't think that theres a percentage of crossbreeding, but I can't be certain.

From what I know, when a female is ready to breed, she releases some sort of "scent" or something into the water. This "scent" attracts males of the same species. I don't think any selection of mates occurs, just depends on who can pick up this scent and who gets there first.

Anyway, I don't suggest keeping cherries with snowballs. The hybrids they produce are quite dull...
no lah.. dont intend to crossbreed lah.. just curious.. can the female prevent it from happening it anyway?
Old 17-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
charles_yeo

different generic wise impossible. Like dogs, not all able to cross breed. Different shrimps may mate but does not mean that it will be fruitful.
Old 17-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
Phira

charles, snowballs and cherries can crossbreed.

anyway, I don't think the female can prevent it from happening. But then again im no expert...
Old 17-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
slypower50
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_yeo View Post
different generic wise impossible. Like dogs, not all able to cross breed. Different shrimps may mate but does not mean that it will be fruitful.
ya.. i understand different generic wise is impossible but if they are the same? (example like Neocaridina) Ok.. bro.. you come out with another question, does if different breed(snow & cherry) does crossbreed? What is the successful rate when compared to that of cherry x cherry? Will it be the same?
Old 17-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #7
urbach
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slypower50 View Post
ya.. i understand different generic wise is impossible but if they are the same? (example like Neocaridina) Ok.. bro.. you come out with another question, does if different breed(snow & cherry) does crossbreed? What is the successful rate when compared to that of cherry x cherry? Will it be the same?
wah... bro... dont ask until so deep. what successful rate and etc, etc. this just hobby, relax and enjoy. make it simple, crossbreeding possible in the same family exp neocaridina family. different family not possilbe to crossbred.

my 2 cents.
urbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 01:45 AM   #8
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slypower50 View Post

Since you have:

This is statistic... you have:

chance of you have cherry offsprings is 1/4
chance of you have snowball offspring is 1/4
so the chance of cross breed is 1/2

sucessful rate of cross breeding is 2 times more the cherryxcherry
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
charles_yeo

In simple terms, with the same gene it will be easier to offspring la.
Old 17-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
slypower50
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbach View Post
wah... bro... dont ask until so deep. what successful rate and etc, etc. this just hobby, relax and enjoy. make it simple, crossbreeding possible in the same family exp neocaridina family. different family not possilbe to crossbred.

my 2 cents.
haha..no lah.. just want to know more? don't have the intention to crossbreed anyway.. just a general question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
Since you have:

This is statistic... you have:

chance of you have cherry offsprings is 1/4
chance of you have snowball offspring is 1/4
so the chance of cross breed is 1/2

sucessful rate of cross breeding is 2 times more the cherryxcherry
thanks bro for the explanation.. so that is no definite ans to what will happen if the above situation happen? As in there is no fix order on how the shrimps will breed? (cross or not) ,in other words, this is all random?