Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > AquaMedics Board & Pet Loss

Old 06-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Jonathan_ee
Dragon

Default Aro spitting out MP

Hi Bros, after feeding my 12inch XB MP during the night ( I make sure that my Aro finish the MP and will net out leftovers ) but during the next day, I would see left over MP at the bottom of my tank. If my Aro is spitting MP out, does it mean that the MP is bad or what? This have been happenig for 1 week already, any advise from bros here? Would appreciate it very much, Tia. Currently housing him in a 3x1.5x1.5 with eheim pro 3 and a 12in ( with tail length ) potamotrygon Motoro.
Jonathan_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Cow36
Dragon

U mentioned its been a week already?
So it was eating well before right.....Best to check on your water conditions.
Is your tank cycled?
Cow36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Is it you feed too much or do wc after feeding? Or disturb the tank after feeding?
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Jonathan_ee
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow36 View Post
U mentioned its been a week already?
So it was eating well before right.....Best to check on your water conditions.
Is your tank cycled?
Yes, but for the past we it doesn't happen everyday it's like mood swing, on and off de. Just check water parameters, Ph7.2, ammonia 0ppm(mg/L), Nitrate 80ppm(mg/L), Nitrite 0ppm(mg/L). Yeap, have been running tank since April this year and changed canister in around late May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Is it you feed too much or do wc after feeding? Or disturb the tank after feeding?
I do WC every Saturday and won't feed for the whole day till Sunday morning. I use tongs to pick up uneaten MP 30mins mins after feeding, don't wanna risk the chance of getting stung by ray so use tongs. My Aro is always hungry, thus I control the amount of MP I feed per meal, I feed 1 MP per meal and twice daily.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Cow36
Dragon

I am just to trying to relate to my limited aro and ray keeping experience to provide an analysis here. Again, I might be wrong.
For your water test, are u using different test kits to confirm readings?
For my case, beside PH meter, i also have a test pen to counter check the PH reading.

Base on your results, imo, the ph by right should be going down if your tank is cycled. I hardly can maintain my 4Ft tank Ph at 6.5 with just five below 8 inch lima catfish whom are greedy for MP, not to mention PH 7.

Is your motoro ray also on MP diet?
Cause when aro vomited mp...its normally a sign of bad water.
A healthy Aro will constantly hungry and digest whatever it has eaten...likewise a healthy ray will also always hungry and the ray will sweep clean whatever mp left on the tank floor......
Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
WXTan
Arofanatic

dont feed for 2-3 days. if u just wanna do something to have peace of mind, add blackwater after WC.

if u dont mind feeding feeders, try SW
WXTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
Jonathan_ee
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow36 View Post
I am just to trying to relate to my limited aro and ray keeping experience to provide an analysis here. Again, I might be wrong.
For your water test, are u using different test kits to confirm readings?
For my case, beside PH meter, i also have a test pen to counter check the PH reading.

Base on your results, imo, the ph by right should be going down if your tank is cycled. I hardly can maintain my 4Ft tank Ph at 6.5 with just five below 8 inch lima catfish whom are greedy for MP, not to mention PH 7.

Is your motoro ray also on MP diet?
Cause when aro vomited mp...its normally a sign of bad water.
A healthy Aro will constantly hungry and digest whatever it has eaten...likewise a healthy ray will also always hungry and the ray will sweep clean whatever mp left on the tank floor......
I have a bag of $2 worth of coral chips in my tank hence maintaing the ph at 6.8-7.2, cause experience with reticulated ray they die and don't eat when ph at 6.2..

All test kits are API, didn't invest in a ph pen, looks like I would have to get one soon, bro, can advise on pricing of PH pen?

My motoro currently on GS diet, rarely touches mp no matter how small I cut it too, I'll usually buy $2 worth of GS quarantine 1 day and put the whole bunch of GS ( excluding dead ones ) and both Aro and ray would finish whatever that's put in there in a day ( ray would finish most of it, Aro have difficulty catching them ).

Thanks for your reply bro,

Best regards,
Jonathan Ee
Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
Jonathan_ee
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXTan View Post
dont feed for 2-3 days. if u just wanna do something to have peace of mind, add blackwater after WC.

if u dont mind feeding feeders, try SW
Thanks bro, would stick to just anti chlorine, high active and Arowana elixir, don't really like black water..

Aro took SW before but stopped feeding as read on forum that SW causes drop/pop eye due to high amount of fat in SW
Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
Cow36
Dragon

No problems, bro.
for Ph pen....the one i m using is transinstruments which i got less than two blue note a years plus back. Been using it till now. Test kits wise, personally i prefer sera brands. I have not use api before thus cant comments. But it always good to counter check for accuracy.

cheers!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
WXTan
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_ee View Post
Thanks bro, would stick to just anti chlorine, high active and Arowana elixir, don't really like black water..

Aro took SW before but stopped feeding as read on forum that SW causes drop/pop eye due to high amount of fat in SW
drop eye dont really come from feeding SW, could be other reason. my aro right drop eye even tho on MP diet only.

as far as feeding SW is concern, i personally dont like the aro to be too bulky so i dont feed SW.

hope your aro start eating soon
WXTan is offline   Reply With Quote