Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
bugaloo
Arofanatic

Default Overdue pregnant leopoldi stopped eating

So this is my Leos 4th pregnancy. The first time she aborted her pups early,the second time she had 2 bd/leos,3rd time was one leo/hen and this time she is pregnant with leo/hen pups again. She is over 120 days now and has stopped eating for over a week. Tried all her favorite foods and even went back to trying dew worms with no success. I know that they sometimes stop eating before they give birth but I have never had a pregnant female stop eating for more then just a day or 2. Now this has been over a week. I still see the pups moving but I am getting worried the female or pups may die and I will lose the female. She isn't very active and just sits still breathing heavy. She has been with me for 4 yrs now with no health problems.

I have never moved a prenant female before for pregnancy but I thought I would try this time as I have lost a couple pups from other adults in the tank biting them. I am wondering if the stress from the male trying to breed with them again is what forces them to give birth? Now that she doesn't have that stress of the male could that be the reason why I am running into problems?

She was moved before the 90 day mark to a 230 gallon tank by herself so the pups wouldn't be injured by the other adults in the big tank. She was eating lots and good for 3 weeks and now for over a week she has stopped eating. I tried doing more water changes and added more air stones to the tank as she likes to float on the bubbles. I believe the bubbles helps relieve the pregnancy pain as all my pregnant females float on the bubbles later in their pregnancy.

Any suggestions on what's going on...Any suggestions on what I could do? I just added a 8" black diamond male pup to her tank last night to see if that would help her.
bugaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Aro77
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaloo View Post
So this is my Leos 4th pregnancy. The first time she aborted her pups early,the second time she had 2 bd/leos,3rd time was one leo/hen and this time she is pregnant with leo/hen pups again. She is over 120 days now and has stopped eating for over a week. Tried all her favorite foods and even went back to trying dew worms with no success. I know that they sometimes stop eating before they give birth but I have never had a pregnant female stop eating for more then just a day or 2. Now this has been over a week. I still see the pups moving but I am getting worried the female or pups may die and I will lose the female. She isn't very active and just sits still breathing heavy. She has been with me for 4 yrs now with no health problems.

I have never moved a prenant female before for pregnancy but I thought I would try this time as I have lost a couple pups from other adults in the tank biting them. I am wondering if the stress from the male trying to breed with them again is what forces them to give birth? Now that she doesn't have that stress of the male could that be the reason why I am running into problems?

She was moved before the 90 day mark to a 230 gallon tank by herself so the pups wouldn't be injured by the other adults in the big tank. She was eating lots and good for 3 weeks and now for over a week she has stopped eating. I tried doing more water changes and added more air stones to the tank as she likes to float on the bubbles. I believe the bubbles helps relieve the pregnancy pain as all my pregnant females float on the bubbles later in their pregnancy.

Any suggestions on what's going on...Any suggestions on what I could do? I just added a 8" black diamond male pup to her tank last night to see if that would help her.

hi bro yes so far my experience is like this too.. previously when i used to leave my preggy females with my males with out separating and when time comes they have a change in smell and thats when the males start to bite and stress the females which causes them to release their pups.. but some times if we dont react on time they can be premature birth cause of the males and some times the female already so weak the male try upz & bite her till she up the lorry ( happen to me a couple of times ) so now i always shift my preggy females alone to a separate fgt to give birth peacefully, about 3 weeks back my preggy female also over due and never eat more then 1 week i just let her be and i change water every day 10% sooner or later after about another week she gave birth peacefully and after another 5 days after giving birth she started to nibble on her food little bit... with in about 2 days her appetite gain back fully... but now i belive mirage aquatics has a new thingy which helps all this maybe u can buy that & try? here's the link - http://arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528917 ive also bought 3 bottles to try
Aro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
rtgaroaro
Dragon

Hi TS, i am also facing the same issue, but mine first time mummy... monitoring also, took out the male, left her with another female and tigers..Would like to know of only male ray will bite the pups? Female ones? Those non pregnant sisters?
rtgaroaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
rtgaroaro
Dragon

Another amateur question, how long female ray pregnancy period?
rtgaroaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
lions12

Normally they move away the male ray right after birth.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
wmh
Dragon

Can make a floating basket in the main pond to keep the mama alone....my friend has a mama that overdue in the main pond...after shifting the mama to the floating basket, after few days, the mama gave birth...
wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:22 AM   #7
lions12

How would the floating basket help?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
wmh
Dragon

reduce the stress of the mama
wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
bugaloo
Arofanatic

Still not eating and may have been nitrate poisoning. Probably due to the fact I moved her into a 230 gallon tank and fed her lots for 3 weeks with only canister filters for filtration. I won't be moving anymore females and will just hope for the best when they have pups that the males don't eat them.
bugaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
Aro77
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaloo View Post
Still not eating and may have been nitrate poisoning. Probably due to the fact I moved her into a 230 gallon tank and fed her lots for 3 weeks with only canister filters for filtration. I won't be moving anymore females and will just hope for the best when they have pups that the males don't eat them.

Hi bro... a canister filter imo cant handle the bio load of a ray , u can contact me @ 97865525 i can try and see how i can help?
Aro77 is offline   Reply With Quote