Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 30-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
bojyeo

Default 1 Starfish and 1 long flat fish Dead

Hi Bros,

Saw 1 starfish and 1 long flat fish dead today........din realise they are dead until I saw the corals "collapse".......the water abit not clear.........I believe there is severe spike in ammonia, NO2 and NO3..........remove them (dam stinky sia and it took my 3 handwash using JIF liquid to get rid of the NH3 smell)........

All these started once I boght a small blue lobster with 2 very long white feelers.......it ate up 3 fire shrimps + 2 cleaner shrimps + 1 small crab + 2 harlequin shrimp and now the flat fish and I supposed the starfish.......

Now I am worried about my corals.......I poured a fair bit of Stress Zyme into the tank.......but not sure if it will solve the problem or how long it will take.......the corals seem so healthy only yesterday (I fed them with cut up fresh prawns everyday) but today seem reserved.......I saw some strands of spongy stuff coming off the corals.....Are the dying soon?.......

Let me know what else I can do..........Thanks in advance........
Old 30-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
tropic
Arofanatic

Did you actually read up on the lobster before throwing into the tank? Remove the dead matter and do water change partial. Make sure skimmer is running properly. That's why skimmer is one of the important things in a reef tank. Times like this u need a reliable skimmer
tropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
tropic
Arofanatic

Try to siphon off the prawns or remains of the dead fauna...and do a water change.
Old 30-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
bojyeo

I did remove the dead stuff...........I have so much live rocks that I am unable to remove the prawns or lobster......they are hiding under the mountain.........my skimmer is from Skimz........
Old 30-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
tropic
Arofanatic

All the dirt and dead matters trap will eventually increase nitrate levels And also algae will start to build up. With all the liverocks , jut make sure you have adequate flow all around. No flow is too much. Do a water change.if you have anemones just monitor them as if they die your tank will face more prob. I am using skimz skimmer also so make sure the skimmer is running properly .
Old 30-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #6
bojyeo

What is the wavemaker u using?.........how much water change u tink is necessary? 20%?........I have 4 packs of seawater standby.........no anemonies........
Old 30-06-2011, 02:00 AM   #7
tropic
Arofanatic

Can start with 20% over few change. I'm using vortechs and sunsun wavemaker. 4 packs how many liter?? Or u store in drum?
Old 30-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #8
tropic
Arofanatic

Sitetrack abit, you using what light for the 5ft?
Old 30-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #9
bojyeo

i duno how many litres..........its those packs u see they sell in LFS........i have 3 x 150w MH, 3 LED and 2 x blue T5...........
Old 30-06-2011, 02:14 AM   #10
tropic
Arofanatic

20% water change is approx about 120l for 5x2.5x2.5