Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 13-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #101
Lonerboi

Wow, nice info there.

After the terrible incident, the output from my denitrator is more stable. Now i get 0 nitrate output and less rotten egg smell. Is it due to the sudden increase in carbon source that the anaerobes start to work double hard? IF so, then when the carbon source depletes, means the anaerobes will start to die and i'm back to square 1?

Another qns... is the nr5000 better or a modified eheim cannister is better?
Old 13-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #102
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerboi View Post
Wow, nice info there.

After the terrible incident, the output from my denitrator is more stable. Now i get 0 nitrate output and less rotten egg smell. Is it due to the sudden increase in carbon source that the anaerobes start to work double hard? IF so, then when the carbon source depletes, means the anaerobes will start to die and i'm back to square 1?

Another qns... is the nr5000 better or a modified eheim cannister is better?
Too little carbon source, very little denitrification.
Too much carbon source, anaerobe will bloom and choke the denitrator leading to too many dead spots inside. Beside having slime coming out, hydrogen sulfide is the other.

Hmmm NR5000 is more than twice the size of the modified eheim canister (like the one bro mudskipper is using). How to compare?
Old 13-10-2007, 11:46 PM   #103
Spakase

Very clear explanation. Any drawback of this way of managing the flow rate of the Denitrator?
Sorry if I am jumping the gun, just go at your pace.
Old 14-10-2007, 12:59 AM   #104
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
Very clear explanation. Any drawback of this way of managing the flow rate of the Denitrator?
Sorry if I am jumping the gun, just go at your pace.
The major drawback is COST!

There are many ORP controllers in the market. Some are relatively cheap (less than 200) and some are expensive (800 and above). The problem is not many can be use for this application. Most of them can be set to a minimum of 0mV which is suitable for ozone application.

IMO, denitrification best performance occur in the region between -200 to -250mV. The main requirement is exactly as what mod Sunburst had mentioned previously, which is the ability to set to -500mV although -300mV is the possible.
Old 14-10-2007, 01:10 AM   #105
Spakase

Could you explain what -500mV indicates?
Old 14-10-2007, 01:21 AM   #106
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
Could you explain what -500mV indicates?
At this level, it indicates the presence of very powerful reducers namely hydrogen sulfide. This occur because the anaerobe change it diet from nitrate to sulphate.
Old 14-10-2007, 02:03 AM   #107
Lonerboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
At this level, it indicates the presence of very powerful reducers namely hydrogen sulfide. This occur because the anaerobe change it diet from nitrate to sulphate.
May i ask where does the source of sulphate come from?
Old 14-10-2007, 03:12 AM   #108
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerboi View Post
May i ask where does the source of sulphate come from?
Tap water, fish food, water conditioner, unpure salt, buffering agent.....
Old 15-10-2007, 03:39 AM   #109
mudskippy
Dragon

Quote:
Too little carbon source, very little denitrification.
Too much carbon source, anaerobe will bloom and choke the denitrator leading to too many dead spots inside. Beside having slime coming out, hydrogen sulfide is the other.

Hmmm NR5000 is more than twice the size of the modified eheim canister (like the one bro mudskipper is using). How to compare?
Definitely NR5000 is better, since the capacity is alot bigger than the eheim DIY canister. But the cost also proportionate to it effectiveness... So far I am very happy with my denitrator, dun need to do much work but just take care of the dripping rate...
mudskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 03:41 AM   #110
mudskippy
Dragon

Quote:
But this is quite easy to be fixed right? Just increase the dripping rate until the rotten egg smell (hydrogen sulfide) gone...
mudskippy is offline   Reply With Quote