Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 30-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
randchai

Default Theory : 80% WC over 3 day period ?

Hi all,

If you remember the previous thread I started with regards to long-term nitrate build-up in aquariums due to partial water changes, there may come a time where we may need to do major WC in order to reset the nitrate levels in our tanks. Hence I am thinking it may be good to do 80% WC for our tanks maybe once in 6 months or 1 year for this purpose.

And I am proposing this to be done over a 3-day period in order not to stress/shock our dear aros too much, and to avoid chlorine burn etc. Proposed WC regime as follows :

What do you guys think ? Comments/feedback ?
Old 30-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
lukeber
Arofanatic

In your graph, there it is equivalent of a 50% water change in the first day Are you trying this method?
lukeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
octane
Endangered Dragon

i tried doing 25% wc continuously for 3 days and no effect on nitrate reduction at all (<100mg/l). this is especially true for high load tanks where larger nitrate levels are being generated everyday. thus i believe doing it once every 6months or so is rather useless even for small load tanks. nitrate level will hit an equilibrium wrt to whatever denitrifying bacteria there is in the biological filteration.
octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
ken_yg

Maybe u can diy one of those simple continuous overflow siphon to your tank/sump, & top up water very slowly (slow drips) to tank/sump instead. Add a lot of blackwater, & let the tap water slowly replace tank water over a period of 1 or 2 days.
I'm practising it for some of may tanks where floor drainage is nearby.
Old 30-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
octane
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeber View Post
In your graph, there it is equivalent of a 50% water change in the first day Are you trying this method?
i also notice that. anyway 80% wc and only top up 20%, won't the tank water be full until 3rd day?
Old 30-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
randchai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeber View Post
I have tried 50% WC once previously when I finished treating my aro for HITH.. Aro no ill effects..

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane View Post
i also notice that. anyway 80% wc and only top up 20%, won't the tank water be full until 3rd day?
Yup, its to ensure we add in new water slowly so as not to ph/chemical shock the aro... The tank water level may not look nice after Day 1 or 2, but I don't think the aro will mind it..
Old 30-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
randchai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_yg View Post
Maybe u can diy one of those simple continuous overflow siphon to your tank/sump, & top up water very slowly (slow drips) to tank/sump instead. Add a lot of blackwater, & let the tap water slowly replace tank water over a period of 1 or 2 days.
I'm practising it for some of may tanks where floor drainage is nearby.
Good suggestion, but this option may not be available to many of us whose tanks are not near drainage/water source...
Old 30-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
ymmij
Senior Dragon

one thing i dun understand is that many discus keepers do 100% water change while many aro keepers dun even want/dare to do more than 50% water change. shouldn't aro be more hardy than discus?
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
octane
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by randchai View Post
I have tried 50% WC once previously when I finished treating my aro for HITH.. Aro no ill effects..

Yup, its to ensure we add in new water slowly so as not to ph/chemical shock the aro... The tank water level may not look nice after Day 1 or 2, but I don't think the aro will mind it..
impossible for sump users.
Old 30-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
Tustar
Senior Dragon

wont doing 30-40% wc 3x a wk would have been better if one can manage the time n effort in doin so?
Tustar is offline   Reply With Quote