Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 02-12-2010, 01:03 AM   #11
3inone

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kai_ View Post
Oh i see. If you are looking for smooth texture than bogwood definetly does it. But weathered i think driftwood is more suitable. Not really sure of wat weathered means but i think is battered and rough? Correct me if im wrong . For driftwood treatment. I heard of boiling it before to make it sink faster. But this im not too sure .
meaning instead of it looking plain and lack of "character", i want it to have more curls, bumps, antique look is best. light brown unwanted. darker brown prefered.

i like driftwood too. but haven found the one i like yet. most i see is soft, lacklustre and damaged.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #12
_kai_
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3inone View Post
meaning instead of it looking plain and lack of "character", i want it to have more curls, bumps, antique look is best. light brown unwanted. darker brown prefered.

i like driftwood too. but haven found the one i like yet. most i see is soft, lacklustre and damaged.
Oh if you want nice driftwoods u can check out mainland. They have beautiful pieces. I bought a piece that was huge, took up half my 3 footer and it was practically a root structure at a cheap price. Plus they have cured driftwoods that are already sinkable .
_kai_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:20 AM   #13
3inone

Quote:
Oh if you want nice driftwoods u can check out mainland. They have beautiful pieces. I bought a piece that was huge, took up half my 3 footer and it was practically a root structure at a cheap price. Plus they have cured driftwoods that are already sinkable .
where will that be? sry but im new to this hobby.

btw i placed my bog wood in hot water. and i noticed some cracks. is it normal?

cracks dont bother me much since moss is gonna cover it. but just wanna know if its normal.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #14
_kai_
Dragon

Mainland is in pasir ris. Not sure of the address. Do a search on google, they will tell u where is it. Btw, pasir ris has many farms with nice driftwoods, search on google maps when u r free. About the cracks, i do not know. I always wash my DW and just put it straight in my tank .
Old 02-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #15
3inone

Quote:
Mainland is in pasir ris. Not sure of the address. Do a search on google, they will tell u where is it. Btw, pasir ris has many farms with nice driftwoods, search on google maps when u r free. About the cracks, i do not know. I always wash my DW and just put it straight in my tank .
LOL. mine floats cant do that. i will leave it there for 2 days then observe. thanks btw.

btw, do help me look around if anyone keen on siamese algae eater. i got them free, but removed them as they swim too fast for my shrimp. and too big too.
wanna trade them for something safe for my shrimps/usable such as food/moss. if u know anyone can alert me

will definitely check pasir ris out before xmas. but i live dam far away.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:34 AM   #16
_kai_
Dragon

Oh my tank has a glass panel above so i shove it underneath so it doesnt float. SAE? Bro u shldnt get sae for shrimp tanks. Ottos are much safer, smaller and cuter .
Old 02-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #17
3inone

Quote:
Oh my tank has a glass panel above so i shove it underneath so it doesnt float. SAE? Bro u shldnt get sae for shrimp tanks. Ottos are much safer, smaller and cuter .
i have 2 Otos alr. thats why im trying to find a new older for the SAE too.
Old 14-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #18
KeIgO86

From my past experience with bogwood, they take a few weeks to sink on their own and another month or two to turn a dark brown and develop your preferred full of character weathered look.

If you decide to go for a bare piece of wood, a month or 2 under direct light will yield a natural look when some algae begin to grow on it.

So sit back, let nature do its thing, and enjoy aquascaping. =)
Old 21-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #19
kunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
actually it really depends on individual preference and the type of scape you are after (:
for me, i prefer those with more branches that are longish and spread apart. so try imagining what kind of a final scape you want to acheive (:
as for hunting for bogwood, you can try either 328 or seaview, both shld have quite a good quantity to choose from (:

where you stay?maybe we can see if there are any nearby LFS

Yeah me too. I prefer those with lots of branches. Especially when you plant US fissiden on them and watch those shrimps settle on those branches.
But my personal experience for bogwood is that it is much difficult to make it sink than normal drift wood.