Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
omgAL
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst90 View Post
Bro. Care to share what type of drink bottle u using?
I using allswell bottle..
omgAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
w47

First time trying out the media today.
When i first took it out of the bag, it was rather powdery so do remember to wash it before using.

I was a K1 media user and i prefer this product more as it is said to have 10x more S.A. than the k1 , also it is a vibrating rather than rotating media,thus it only take a much smaller space than the k1 media(It takes 10l of space to run 5l of k1, but it only need 1.5l of space to run 1.25l of the biomotion.) Which means more space for your fishes

However , the disadvantage of this product is that the only information we have is that 1litre of it treats 3k litre of water, which is very vague. It can mean 3000l with one arowana or 3000litre with 10arowana. Thus its very difficult to gauge how much of the media we will need. However, some may argue that the exact value does not matter, all we have to do is to over filter.Even if thats the case , using 10l of the media may still not be enough for a tank with maybe 10 aro. Whereas for the k1 media, it is very clear that 1l of it can treat 5gram of waste.
Another problem that i for see is that the biomotion is a porous media thus over time , it may be clogged up with waste, thus it is important to have some filter wool at the bottom of your diy filter to trap some of the waste.

All these are just my first impression of the media, will update soon once my media are cycled and when i see the results of it.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #13
ilovechilired

notice even though i washed it before washing

the water is very very cloudy.. and the body of my rays coated with white substance
Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
w47

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KKUZrmNhxvI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
Steven87
Arofanatic

Arrow Just got my biomotion today

Hi all,
just got my biomotion today.
First thanks to Wilson and Reinbiotech for selecting me.

The 1L package is quite light to my surprise. Comparing the weight to other medias. Was inform by Wilson the Biomotion has got air in it.

Opening the package i soak it in a small tub of my tank water to remove the debris. Biomotion was floating and cleaned up quite fast. and Very very Light.

Decided to use it in another way other than K1 method. I decided to submerge it along with other medias in my IOUS Tank. 6x2.5x2.5

From Bottom to top arrangement of Medias:

Japanese Mat
2.6Kg of Bio Volca from Aqua Genie + 1kg of Bacter Rio 9000
5kg (5L) of OF 3DM Pro Series Filter Medium (Nugget)
5kg of BioHome Plus
2kg of ANS mini bacteria house + 2kg of unknown red n yellowish rough surface ceramic rings
5L of Mr Aqua Ceramic Ring
1L of BIOMOTION (NEW Product)
Japanese Mat
Black Sponge
Black Sponge
Cotton Wool

Bacteria Used:
Bio Booster (Aqua Genie)
Bio Bacteria (Aqua Genie)

Water Parameters now:

GH 0
KH 0
PH 7.2
NO2 0
NO3 20

Did noticed my ph went up from 7.01 to 7.2 immediately after i put the biomotion n other medias in as i just revamped the media arrangements. Tank is cloudy now. Will observe in a day or 2. Will update soon.

Steven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #16
Steven87
Arofanatic

Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #17
Nidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven87 View Post
Decided to use it in another way other than K1 method. I decided to submerge it along with other medias in my IOUS Tank. 6x2.5x2.5
Bro, I hope u dun take offence, but why test a new product other then the way it was designed for? The theory behind K1 media is that the rotating and knocking affect ensures that only the strongest BB remain on it's surface. I believe Bio-motion was designed with a simpler plan behind it. But immersing it like normal media, wouldn't it be better just to use bio-homme? I think it's a waste to test the media like this unless in a controlled environment with 2 different tanks with the same setup, 1 with a K1 like setup and 1 in a immersed set up to see if the movement of bio-motion performs better then the ones immersed. Under ur test it wouldn't give us much useful feedback I feel.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #18
Steven87
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
Bro, I hope u dun take offence, but why test a new product other then the way it was designed for? The theory behind K1 media is that the rotating and knocking affect ensures that only the strongest BB remain on it's surface. I believe Bio-motion was designed with a simpler plan behind it. But immersing it like normal media, wouldn't it be better just to use bio-homme? I think it's a waste to test the media like this unless in a controlled environment with 2 different tanks with the same setup, 1 with a K1 like setup and 1 in a immersed set up to see if the movement of bio-motion performs better then the ones immersed. Under ur test it wouldn't give us much useful feedback I feel.

Thanks Bro Nidd for the feedback. I m new to the hobby and have a tendency to try out things in unconventional ways.

I did saw on youtube of some video of how the biomotion was used. its a little different from K1's way of rotating and knocking. More to vibrating from what i see.

Why my decision to put it submerged?
I tried putting it in a filter bag and it floats. And have the constraint of not having enough knowledge or resources to DIY a K1 filter box at the moment, i decided to submerge it leaving some space for it to move, and postioning is at the top most of all the heavy medias.

Had also seek opinion from Wilson, that its possible to submerged too. So decided to carry out this form of experimentation. I would also think of inserting a bubble plate below it to make it move more just to imitate the K1 method.

Surely at this stage i do not have extra medias to try out like what u mentioned a controlled environment, so i would like to be the odd one first to do it. I do look foward to the results and make comparisons with others.

Maybe my method may not work, but then after all this is an experiment to learn. If proven wrong, i shall follow what other did to make the media work right.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #19
berniel

How to use (advise from reinbio tech )

BIOMOTION can be used in canister, overhead, internal (multi chamber), trickle tower and moving bed filters. If you want to DIY, BIOMOTION can be easily moved by a regular aquarium air pump in a small conical style (bottle type) home-made aquarium filter.

This is a trial to try out bio-motion as a versatile media. Reinbiotech is openminded and did not restrict in the ways bio-motion is to be use and tested.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
Nidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniel View Post
How to use (advise from reinbio tech )

BIOMOTION can be used in canister, overhead, internal (multi chamber), trickle tower and moving bed filters. If you want to DIY, BIOMOTION can be easily moved by a regular aquarium air pump in a small conical style (bottle type) home-made aquarium filter.

This is a trial to try out bio-motion as a versatile media. Reinbiotech is openminded and did not restrict in the ways bio-motion is to be use and tested.
Thanks for ur info, I was under the impression that Bio-motion was design to be use with the same concept as K1. But now I'm confused with the product itself. Is it better then Bio-homme? Is there a reason to use Bio-motion instead of Bio-homme as bio-homme being more compact would fit better in a canister or sump/IOUS. Or do we "leave space" so that bio-motion can vibrate in those environments. What are the differences between Bio-motion and Bio-homme other then the shape and the floating properties of Bio-motion.