Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 02-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #21
TuNA
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
Thanks for ur info, I was under the impression that Bio-motion was design to be use with the same concept as K1. But now I'm confused with the product itself. Is it better then Bio-homme? Is there a reason to use Bio-motion instead of Bio-homme as bio-homme being more compact would fit better in a canister or sump/IOUS. Or do we "leave space" so that bio-motion can vibrate in those environments. What are the differences between Bio-motion and Bio-homme other then the shape and the floating properties of Bio-motion.
There is still no concrete methodology on how Bio-motion should be used or implemented, we are still on trial test.

I believe pondguru was one of the first to test out this media, and came out the idea of vibrating motion instead of the conventional K1 method of full rotation due to the glass like material which will erode due excessive abrasions.

We have no information on what is the effectiveness level of Bio-motion or how much should be used to achieve effectiveness.
The information printed on the packaging is for Bio-home, not Bio -motion. But the surface area is definitely easily more than 10times of K1 due to it's structural design.

This is a huge advantage as less Bio -motion is required and it saves a lot of tank space as compared to using K1. From my rough gauge, 1L of Bio-motion = 10L of K1 in terms of surface area.

Let's compare the amount of space required in terms of level of effectiveness.
10L of K1, easily takes up one compartment in the sump, whereas 1L of bio-motion can be packed into a 1.5L sized bottle with ample space as no rotation movement is required.

As for the difference between Bio-home and Bio-motion, I believe the manufacturer will have answers to your questions.

Last edited by TuNA; 02-02-2013 at 06:45 PM.
TuNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #22
ilovechilired

my tank is still cloudy.. though can see the white substance on my rays are lesser compared to yesterday..

hope to see it clear up soon
Old 03-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #23
omgAL
Arofanatic

I never face any cloudy water at all.. some more never rinse the medias at all
omgAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #24
kenza
Senior Dragon

Ok here's mine. Did it this morning before going out.

I place it in my 1st comparment of my slump which have strong current from below to top and plenty of bubbies. Which is good for the medias. I also segment them into 2 level, the 1st level has strong current but less bubbies and by using the bio mat, the current become weaker and has more bubbies for better BB.

after

So far so good. Water not cloudy and i yet to take and measure of the water yet. Will check the water parameter tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by kenza; 03-02-2013 at 01:42 PM.
kenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #25
Rein-Biotech Services

Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by w47 View Post
First time trying out the media today.
When i first took it out of the bag, it was rather powdery so do remember to wash it before using.

I was a K1 media user and i prefer this product more as it is said to have 10x more S.A. than the k1 , also it is a vibrating rather than rotating media,thus it only take a much smaller space than the k1 media(It takes 10l of space to run 5l of k1, but it only need 1.5l of space to run 1.25l of the biomotion.) Which means more space for your fishes

However , the disadvantage of this product is that the only information we have is that 1litre of it treats 3k litre of water, which is very vague. It can mean 3000l with one arowana or 3000litre with 10arowana. Thus its very difficult to gauge how much of the media we will need. However, some may argue that the exact value does not matter, all we have to do is to over filter.Even if thats the case , using 10l of the media may still not be enough for a tank with maybe 10 aro. Whereas for the k1 media, it is very clear that 1l of it can treat 5gram of waste.
Another problem that i for see is that the biomotion is a porous media thus over time , it may be clogged up with waste, thus it is important to have some filter wool at the bottom of your diy filter to trap some of the waste.

All these are just my first impression of the media, will update soon once my media are cycled and when i see the results of it.
Oops!!!!

Guys, I think you may have forgotten what we posted on our thread `Trial call....' Lets relook at Bio-Motion again:-

What is BIOMOTION

BIOMOTION is the latest addition to the "Biohome" brand sintered glass filter media product range. It is a unique sintered glass which allows beneficial bacteria to form and colonise at a much faster rate than on plastic media. Unlike other sintered glass filter media, BIOMOTION is very light, and is the first specifically designed sintered glass filter media made to work in a moving bed filter.

How to use

BIOMOTION can be used in canister, overhead, internal (multi chamber), trickle tower and moving bed filters. If you want to DIY, BIOMOTION can be easily moved by a regular aquarium air pump in a small conical style (bottle type) home-made aquarium filter.

Watch “How to make an excellent moving bed filter" using BIOMOTION by Tyne Valley Aquatics - http://youtu.be/dIoOfgZnqFo

In a pond filter chamber or the sump of a large aquarium filter, a larger air pump or small powerhead pump should be used to move the media. Bio Motion is biological media and especially if used as static media, good mechanical filtration like filter wool to remove any heavy muck particles should always be used to avoid clogging of the smaller holes.

Like all Biohome brand sintered glass media, BIOMOTION will last a long time. With excessive movement the lifespan will shorten and to minimise wear in aquaria we would suggest leaving not more than 20% of volume space in the filter chamber.

Approx 200ml of BIOMOTION can be used to treat 100 litres of water. It can act as a main or secondary bio-filter. BIOMOTION used in moving bed filters requires NO cleaning.

How it works

BIOMOTION is made of sintered glass (silica) a natural surface on which beneficial bacteria can form and colonise at a much faster rate than on plastic media. It normally takes BIOMOTION around 21-42 DAYS to colonise, compared to plastics’ 6-20 WEEKS.

The available surface area for colonisation of bacteria of BIOMOTION is 10x-50x greater than plastic media and with use this actually INCREASES as the outer surface wears and the inner surfaces are exposed giving a massive inner structure for the colonisation of new bacteria, this process will continue through its working life which can be extended indefinitely by the addition of new media to compensate for any wear over a period of years.
Facebook:- www.facebook.com/reinbiotech
We are also in Youtube, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram
Rein-Biotech Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
ilovechilired

my water is starting to clear now!!! though still abit cloudy but definitely more clear now

hopefully it will clear up soon.. running since thu evening
Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
Rein-Biotech Services

Arofanatic

The white substance in the pellets before you use is BIOEARTH. This is the same natural water conditioner you can get in LFS. If you do not like them, you can wash them away. But the powder will help condition the water plus a host of benefits. It will make the water cloudy for a while up to 2 3 days, depending on how `dirty' the water and how fast it can settle in the chambers.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8Ie...tEdllJM28/edit

The yellow packet we used to put BIO-MOTION is from BIOHOME as this new product does not have any packaging yet. Please do not use the instructions there.

Last edited by Rein-Biotech Services; 04-02-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #28
Rein-Biotech Services

Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovechilired View Post
my water is starting to clear now!!! though still abit cloudy but definitely more clear now

hopefully it will clear up soon.. running since thu evening
Yes it will. Bioearth found in Bio-Motion helps to condition the water and makes it close to nature.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #29
Xiaochew

Bro where can get some of the media. Tks
Xiaochew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #30
gan77
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rein-Biotech Services View Post
Thanks to all bros that have participated in the trial call. We apologise for some that are not selected. There will be more trials to come in the near future

In the meantime, here are the bros who will be getting the samples. This thread is set up to allow all of them to share their experiences, images, demos, the positives and negatives. Please feel free to contribute. As we speak, samples are already being collected and probably some bros starting their experiments now

Here are the list of bros that has been selected. At their own time, they will add their comments here:-

Steven C
ilovechilired - collected
berniel
martin
sbtanpatrick
Yuna
alanng
Chee
gan77 - Collected
henree
aquatalk - collected
macky
Cichlid_Fan
berlinjs
omgAL - collected
Kenza - collected
Myst90
Zhuoyuting
striker78
w47 - collected
arocomm
Tuna - collected
radiolite22
itchy
Thanks Boss Wilson for the free sample. Will post regularly on the progress.
Btw, nice meeting you...
gan77 is offline   Reply With Quote