Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 08-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #21
psych

Hi bro, is the brown tint in your water caused by the tannins from the driftwood or the lighting? I tried using similar extra fine sand for my cories before, but when they started moving over it, the sand kicks up bad and clouds the water, even tiny movements. So I gave up and used sightly larger gravel.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #22
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Readings taken today:

PH: 7.0
Nitrites: 5.0 mg/l
Nitrates: 50.0-100.0 mg/l
Ammonia: 4.0 mg/l

Am wondering if now would be a good time to do a small water change just to dilute the ammonia and nitrite levels a little. However, that would also skew my subsequent readings a little. Anyone any advice?
I personally change up to 90% of the tank's volume during the first week.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #23
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych View Post
Hi bro, is the brown tint in your water caused by the tannins from the driftwood or the lighting? I tried using similar extra fine sand for my cories before, but when they started moving over it, the sand kicks up bad and clouds the water, even tiny movements. So I gave up and used sightly larger gravel.
The brown tint is caused by the driftwood. The colour has gotten a bit strong. Will be doing small water changes to try to dilute it a little. Also changed my HOF from the Colourful to Hagen Aquaclear 50. The filter intake now is located a lot closer to the bottom of the tank. Just got it running though, so still no idea how it will be. Does carbon help to remove the tint? Would it be detrimental to add carbon during this stage of the nitrogen cycle? Any advice appreciated. I don't have much issue with a cloudy tank atm as there aren't any cories in the cycling process. Will see how things turn out after the tank has completed cycling.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #24
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Also changed my HOF from the Colourful to Hagen Aquaclear 50.
Very good HOF. Good move.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #25
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Just took readings today. Wow! Was surprised at the results...

Readings taken today:

PH: 6.5
Nitrites: 5.0 mg/l (actually, it's out of the charts, test kit can only measure up to 5 mg/l)
Ammonia: 0.0 mg/l (or close to 0 mg/l)

Is it normal for ammonia to so suddenly go from 4.0 mg/l (reading taken on 08 May) to 0.0 mg/l today? I only did a small water change yesterday. Approx 10% or lesser. If normal, next step would be looking out for Nitrites to fall. Hmmm, got to read the Nitrogen Cycle later to see what to expect next.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #26
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Just took readings today. Wow! Was surprised at the results...

Readings taken today:

PH: 6.5
Nitrites: 5.0 mg/l (actually, it's out of the charts, test kit can only measure up to 5 mg/l)
Ammonia: 0.0 mg/l (or close to 0 mg/l)

Is it normal for ammonia to so suddenly go from 4.0 mg/l (reading taken on 08 May) to 0.0 mg/l today? I only did a small water change yesterday. Approx 10% or lesser. If normal, next step would be looking out for Nitrites to fall. Hmmm, got to read the Nitrogen Cycle later to see what to expect next.
Yes, it is quite normal. Once Nitrosomonas bacteria is present, they multiply quickly. Your Nitrite will spike next, looks like its happening now. When Nitrite falls to zero, your tank is cycled.

Last edited by JadeIceGreen; 09-05-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #27
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
Yes, it is quite normal. Once Nitrosomonas bacteria is present, they multiply quickly. Your Nitrite will spike next, looks like its happening now. When Nitrite falls to zero, your tank is cycled.
Woot! Yaay! Thanks for the reply, JIG! Looking forward to the next event then. I keep going to the local fish shops every few days to look at cories. Itchy to buy.

On a side note:

Already lost 2 fishes from the first 5 commandos initiated in the early part of the cycle. Sad, but can't be helped. Had to top up another 2 fishes from my soon hock's feeder group. Hope this group can survive until the cycling is complete. Each death saddens me more.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #28
psych

Quote:
The brown tint is caused by the driftwood. The colour has gotten a bit strong. Will be doing small water changes to try to dilute it a little. Also changed my HOF from the Colourful to Hagen Aquaclear 50. The filter intake now is located a lot closer to the bottom of the tank. Just got it running though, so still no idea how it will be. Does carbon help to remove the tint? Would it be detrimental to add carbon during this stage of the nitrogen cycle? Any advice appreciated. I don't have much issue with a cloudy tank atm as there aren't any cories in the cycling process. Will see how things turn out after the tank has completed cycling.
The 2 driftwoods in my tank is starting to take it's toll on the colour of the water too. I have seen countless of reviews that Purigen is very effective in getting rid of tannins. So I prepared that beforehand and added it together with the dw. I added the whole 250ml bottle in my 3ft tank (150L). According to the instructions, 1000ml treats 4000L, so 250ml should treat 1000L. And yet the water is getting darker by the day and the beads are still quite white and so far from exhaustion yet. Not as good as I thought. Tried activated carbon before with not so good results as well. Thing is AC must be replaced quite often so I decided not to use it.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #29
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych View Post
The 2 driftwoods in my tank is starting to take it's toll on the colour of the water too. I have seen countless of reviews that Purigen is very effective in getting rid of tannins. So I prepared that beforehand and added it together with the dw. I added the whole 250ml bottle in my 3ft tank (150L). According to the instructions, 1000ml treats 4000L, so 250ml should treat 1000L. And yet the water is getting darker by the day and the beads are still quite white and so far from exhaustion yet. Not as good as I thought. Tried activated carbon before with not so good results as well. Thing is AC must be replaced quite often so I decided not to use it.
I read about that too. Was planning on using Purigen, but after reading your post, I'm having 2nd thoughts. Any chance you could elaborate more about your experience with Purigen and AC? Like how long you left the media in and how much of the media you used? My tank is only a ~40l tank, so am not too sure what quantity of AC I should use. I currently have a packet of AC that came with my Hagen. Not too sure if I should use it, as I read somewhere that media packaged with filters tend to be of a lower grade. Thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting too!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:45 AM   #30
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Woot! Yaay! Thanks for the reply, JIG! Looking forward to the next event then. I keep going to the local fish shops every few days to look at cories. Itchy to buy.
This is always the fun part of a new aquarium. I hope you get the Corydoras you want! They will be with you for many years.

Quote:
On a side note:

Already lost 2 fishes from the first 5 commandos initiated in the early part of the cycle. Sad, but can't be helped. Had to top up another 2 fishes from my soon hock's feeder group. Hope this group can survive until the cycling is complete. Each death saddens me more.
I would highly encourage using products like Seachem Stability to jump start the cycling of a tank. There is no need to involve any fauna and risk any deaths.