Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 24-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #41
Betta Mania

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesAth View Post
see u guys collection wow
my approval for 422 failed =(
my fronts are so not happy
Bro bring your wife out to a romantic dinner, woo her with soft candles and sweet nothings then let her know hpw much she is the cntre of your world and thus a hobby keeps you out of mischief - the Tiger Woods or Jack Neo kind. She would like that ..no?!?....soooo...the tank will keep you too busy to let naughty thoughts jave a chance to sprout....except thought of her and (the fronts) Worth atry this weekend no????Just my two cents worth to help a bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphone View Post
Wah....2 some more ah....haha...impressed....

My tank is very simple...took away most of the rocks to make room...now waiting for approval for a 6x2.5x2.5
Bro btw love your simple Japanese zen decor - it is true, less sometimes IS more...Less decor.....more FISH...Fronts are so shy that decor gives them a place to hide and when you appear all you see is decor and no fishes
Toying of removing half the coaral rocks but then what do the rest of the bros feel about that. Is decor for caves necessary. Without the decor will it increase the stress of the inhabitants? Views from the venerated seniors in the world of Fronts and African Cichlids - its over to you bros...
Old 24-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #42
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Mania View Post
Bro bring your wife out to a romantic dinner, woo her with soft candles and sweet nothings then let her know hpw much she is the cntre of your world and thus a hobby keeps you out of mischief - the Tiger Woods or Jack Neo kind. She would like that ..no?!?....soooo...the tank will keep you too busy to let naughty thoughts jave a chance to sprout....except thought of her and (the fronts) Worth atry this weekend no????Just my two cents worth to help a bro

Bro btw love your simple Japanese zen decor - it is true, less sometimes IS more...Less decor.....more FISH...Fronts are so shy that decor gives them a place to hide and when you appear all you see is decor and no fishes
Toying of removing half the coaral rocks but then what do the rest of the bros feel about that. Is decor for caves necessary. Without the decor will it increase the stress of the inhabitants? Views from the venerated seniors in the world of Fronts and African Cichlids - its over to you bros...
beatiful tank both of you have and great effort there (: and awesome fishes bro epiphone (: now i dun dare to post mine liao.. hehehe
as for decor, what i have observed and what has been shared with me is that yes, decor are needed so as to make e fishes feel some sense of security.but not too much that they end up hiding alot, then it becomes what u mentioned, see no fish..

so a suggestion which is what some of us adopt, we use boulders with smooth surface. so these boulders allows them some decor yet not so much that u cant see them (: and one of e factor is the smooth surface, so if the fronts dash, even if they brush against e boulders, no injuries. but imagine if your fronts brush against coral rocks?
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #43
Epiphone

Quote:
WAUGH..AWESOME!!!!! Swee swee...puts mine to shame, really pales against yours. Just to show the difference, my BLUE ICE effort... not much to "brag" about but my 2cents worth...hee hee. Hope more of the bros will also post their pics of their tanks and their special pets.
nah...dun say that bro All fronts are unique. Yours are the Burundis and MBlue variants, so they have nice both shapes and metallic blue respectively...Perhapes your tank has too much "white", thus the fish does not show off its colour...Since your base is white, maybe you can get some black slaps of stones/rocks to contra the colour...I believe it will bring out the colour of the Fronts

Quote:
Yup...the key reason why I removed the rest of the "hidding places" other than making space is to avert territory building, especially with the emperors inside...after removing it, realised that the overall tank looks peaceful and more pleasure in watching the Fronts swimming around.....Morale of the story...we are all still learning
Old 24-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #44
Epiphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
beatiful tank both of you have and great effort there (: and awesome fishes bro epiphone (: now i dun dare to post mine liao.. hehehe
as for decor, what i have observed and what has been shared with me is that yes, decor are needed so as to make e fishes feel some sense of security.but not too much that they end up hiding alot, then it becomes what u mentioned, see no fish..

so a suggestion which is what some of us adopt, we use boulders with smooth surface. so these boulders allows them some decor yet not so much that u cant see them (: and one of e factor is the smooth surface, so if the fronts dash, even if they brush against e boulders, no injuries. but imagine if your fronts brush against coral rocks?
Post lah...

Yes..smooth boulders are better options as the Fronts sometimes will just chase and snip at each other...more like play rather than aggressions, thus a smooth surface will prevent injury.
Old 24-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #45
Betta Mania

Exclamation

Quote:
........"so a suggestion which is what some of us adopt, we use boulders with smooth surface. so these boulders allows them some decor yet not so much that u cant see them (: and one of e factor is the smooth surface, so if the fronts dash, even if they brush against e boulders, no injuries. but imagine if your fronts brush against coral rocks?"
Hmmmm!..truly food for thought, sorry for my naivety are frontosas always so skittish and shy?..do they get used to their owners and environments?
I read about fronts being like puppy dogs coming up to owners for food confused: This is what puts me into a quandary...if they become accustomed then they will not dash, however if they never settle down or settle in then some adjustments must be made. Please understand this is asked out of sincere ignorance being new to fronts and not to test anyones knowledge

Personally I am puzzled and frustrated by their behaviour and wonder how they cannot be like my Malawis and Tanganikans - they currently take frozen bloodworms or dry flakes from my fingers like kois. Can any bro help with this question..many thanks
Old 24-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #46
Epiphone

Quote:
Hmmmm!..truly food for thought, sorry for my naivety are frontosas always so skittish and shy?..do they get used to their owners and environments?
I read about fronts being like puppy dogs coming up to owners for food confused: This is what puts me into a quandary...if they become accustomed then they will not dash, however if they never settle down or settle in then some adjustments must be made. Please understand this is asked out of sincere ignorance being new to fronts and not to test anyones knowledge

Personally I am puzzled and frustrated by their behaviour and wonder how they cannot be like my Malawis and Tanganikans - they currently take frozen bloodworms or dry flakes from my fingers like kois. Can any bro help with this question..many thanks
If you do some google about Front, their natural habitat is at least 60metres below water level and at that depth, they do get to see much human....As for those in the tanks, although they are bred, their nature is still shy, unlike the Malawis and other specis of Tangan...if you are do not have any sudden movement, they will not dash..Generally, they are very shy and calm fishes..
Old 24-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #47
Young Man
Senior Dragon

betta mania: just as what epiphone has mentioned. being shy or what some would call skittish is their nature. especially wildcaughts.. so they may get used to the environment or you, the owner.but, when something unfamiliar comes rounds, it can still spook them and cause a dash..
as for e puppy like behaviour, it is mostly observed in Mblues.
but if your fronts can take food from your fingers, that's good (:
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #48
Betta Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphone View Post
If you do some google about Front, their natural habitat is at least 60metres below water level and at that depth, they do get to see much human....As for those in the tanks, although they are bred, their nature is still shy, unlike the Malawis and other specis of Tangan...if you are do not have any sudden movement, they will not dash..Generally, they are very shy and calm fishes..
Bro, tks ofr the reply. appreciate the effort for a reply. I go to a website called Frontasia.com and the othe African Cichlid .com to glean some very useful info, perhaps you could also benefit from those sites and find them useful as I did.

From my limited knowledge and what I read, Fronts can be likepuppies that come up to the owner to accept food directly from them. I certainly would love that as I am as mentioned got my Malawis to do. Really satisfying feeling.
Old 24-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #49
Epiphone

Quote:
Bro, tks ofr the reply. appreciate the effort for a reply. I go to a website called Frontasia.com and the othe African Cichlid .com to glean some very useful info, perhaps you could also benefit from those sites and find them useful as I did.

From my limited knowledge and what I read, Fronts can be likepuppies that come up to the owner to accept food directly from them. I certainly would love that as I am as mentioned got my Malawis to do. Really satisfying feeling.
No worries. Yup...over the years, learnt alot from the bros here as well as read from web. Wrt to feeding, the wild caught ones are normally the very shy ones and it will take a long time for them to get used to you. However, those F1 are easier to accustomed to you as well as the Mblues and Burundis. I guess their variants does have some effects. I used to have a bunch of young F1 Mobas and they defy all shyness and always eat from my clippers, so if you train them from young, then end result may be different. As for my tank, I usually use the plastic spoon to tab lightly on the glass, followed by food, so over time, the F1 are less shy to come forward, but being fronts, any sudden
movement will still cause them to dash....just some food for thoughts
Old 25-08-2010, 02:26 AM   #50
Betta Mania

Exclamation

Quote:
betta mania: just as what epiphone has mentioned. being shy or what some would call skittish is their nature. especially wildcaughts.. so they may get used to the environment or you, the owner.but, when something unfamiliar comes rounds, it can still spook them and cause a dash..
as for e puppy like behaviour, it is mostly observed in Mblues.but if your fronts can take food from your fingers, that's good (:
Thanks bro for your patience and willingnesss to teach a newbie like me. I am struggling still to classsify and recognize the different strains of Fronts. I can see the physical difference a little now in terms of their black stripes or the whiteness or the amount of blue hue but to tell the strains that is another question. I know I have 2 mobas from Germany and 1 Mbwe but as for the rest????............Please assist if you can to simplify this for me. many thanks