Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Closed Thread

Old 17-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
|JTBC|
Dragon

I no expert but just wondering is it possible for the following reasons ?? :
Faster flowrate is good for mechanical filtration - to remove solid waste/unsightful particles;
Slower flowrate is better for bio-filtration - to provide adequate time for the BBs to do the jobs.
If so, the best of all is to have a system with control of flow for bio or mech filtration.
Old 17-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
hengyi86

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
I personally having a estimated of 2 x flow rate for my current setup.

It use to be about 4 x the flow rate but found that the there are always trances of NH4 and N02 present in the water.

As I was using two pumps, I changed one of it to a lower flow rate and added a wave maker to help circulate the water.

I found that with a lower/slower flow rate, the NH4 and NO2 became zero (tested a month ago) except after heavy heavy feeding of squid and MP where there will be a rise in these two readings...

There seems to be little or no poo poo at the bottom of the tank also.

So... please advise is my setup right? Thanks....

Hey stoner interesting useful info.meaning the BB in the biohomme works more efficiently when the flow rate is slow? anyone can confirm?

Old 17-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #13
luvwenz

i am using 4000l/h for my 5ft OHF, i feel its pretty decent thou the overturn rate is over what many bros suggested. also think about the FlowRate which it has to bring up to the tank for those with sump and shorter distance for those bros with OHF... so far there has been no spikes in all my NH...blahblah readings... very stable all along unless i add a new fish/water. =) but it clears up very fast.

Old 18-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #14
Koji™
Account Disabled

In short, fast flowrate good for mechincal filtration while slow flowrate is good for biological filtration. That's one reason why I got slower rate flow in my house filtration system and yes... the dirt is unsightly in there and need much longer time for them to be "suck" away.
Old 18-02-2010, 03:39 AM   #15
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
I personally having a estimated of 2 x flow rate for my current setup.

It use to be about 4 x the flow rate but found that the there are always trances of NH4 and N02 present in the water.

As I was using two pumps, I changed one of it to a lower flow rate and added a wave maker to help circulate the water.

I found that with a lower/slower flow rate, the NH4 and NO2 became zero (tested a month ago) except after heavy heavy feeding of squid and MP where there will be a rise in these two readings...

There seems to be little or no poo poo at the bottom of the tank also.

So... please advise is my setup right? Thanks....
It simply means that your biofiltration is not sufficient for higher flowrate.
The rise in total ammonia during heavy feeding is called transient ammonia spike. This can be reduced by spreading the feeding....Instead of 1 heavy feeding per day, change to 3 feeding instead.

Old 18-02-2010, 04:25 AM   #16
stoner
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
It simply means that your biofiltration is not sufficient for higher flowrate.
The rise in total ammonia during heavy feeding is called transient ammonia spike. This can be reduced by spreading the feeding....Instead of 1 heavy feeding per day, change to 3 feeding instead.
OK... noted and understand.

Current 6 x 2.5 x 2.5ft is supported via a small 3 x 2 x 1.5ft sump. A new 5 x 2 x 2ft sump is on the way...

Thanks for your advise...
Old 18-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #17
canopy
Dragon

so bro Mod atom, can let us know why the sump pump is 4X the tank volume? really interested to know Is it a bad idea to have 10X?
Old 18-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
stoner
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyi86 View Post
Hey stoner interesting useful info.meaning the BB in the biohomme works more efficiently when the flow rate is slow? anyone can confirm?
He...he... I only have 1kg + inside my sump.... the rest of 10 over kg are cheapo CC ....
Old 18-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #19
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopy View Post
so bro Mod atom, can let us know why the sump pump is 4X the tank volume? really interested to know Is it a bad idea to have 10X?
4x is just nothing more than a guide. You can have 10x but you must have large sump with sufficient biomedia to compensate for the reduced retention period. I prefer high turnover. 6 to 8x will be nice.

An exaggerated example:

The water speeding pass a chamber containing CR at 1000 l/hr, can remove 4 mg/l of ammonia.
When the velocity increases to 2000 l/hr, the chamber can remove 2 mg/l of ammonia.
To compensate for the losses, the water has to pass 2 chambers in order to remove 4 mg/l of ammonia.

Old 18-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #20
shagy382

I use a x12 flowrate with a 1000/hr pump using OHF and a 1300/hr canister for my 3 feet tank. Its an overkill but it keeps the water clean and my puffer seems to be okay with it

Im thinking of just getting one good canister like FX5 instead of running two at the same time

Closed Thread