Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 22-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
zizou000005

Smile how to prevent pests from growing?

Hi guys,
i know that beside over-feeding to prevent pests from growing in the tank, may i know wad other ways to prevent it too?
Old 22-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
gryphon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizou000005 View Post
Hi guys,
i know that beside over-feeding to prevent pests from growing in the tank, may i know wad other ways to prevent it too?
Remove any food that are leftover after 3hr of feeding
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
jamiex09

Quote:
Hi guys,
It's very difficult to prevent, if u are referring to copepods, especially if u have live plants as well. No matter how hard I try, I still get to see at least a few of them around the tank. I heard from my LFS, if your tank condition is healthy, u will get it and maybe beneficial.
Of course, feeding is one issue too.
As long as they don't harm your shrimps, it's ok to leave it, but it's only not pleasing to the eye if there's too many.
Old 22-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
zizou000005

Default hi

beside removing the food after 3 hours, wad else should i do ?
i am trying to reduce the amt of pests growing inside my tank.
i was thinking of adding 1 tetra fish but afraid it might actually go after my shrimps.
The reason behind the pests growth is the excessive amt of nutrients inside.
I heard that the is a bottle of mosura items which is to break down the nutrients plus if i change water weekly, will it help?
Old 22-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
jamiex09

Quote:
beside removing the food after 3 hours, wad else should i do ?
i am trying to reduce the amt of pests growing inside my tank.
i was thinking of adding 1 tetra fish but afraid it might actually go after my shrimps.
The reason behind the pests growth is the excessive amt of nutrients inside.
I heard that the is a bottle of mosura items which is to break down the nutrients plus if i change water weekly, will it help?
If all yr shrimps are adult size, u can add baby guppies to eat them. Tats Wat I did. But my guppies were only 2 weeks old, they cleared my pests within 3 days, and my baby shrimps as well.
Now my baby guppies are isolated.
Looking for guppy lovers to adopt.
Old 22-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
razor90

i read that tetra are fine with fishes, but then i tried.
10 tetra with my shrimps, the tetras attacked the molted one as when i remove them can feel that is super soft. Then i remove my tetras, now no more problem liao.

I read that mosquito rasbora are fine. But then again best is no fishes with shrimps. Maybe adding 1 tetra or rasbora will be fine as it will not be so aggressive than a group. After clearing the pests liao then faster remove it from the tank.
Old 23-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #7
jamiex09

Another option is moving yr shrimps away to another tank first, then let the fishes clear then put back yr shrimps and remove fishes. Or overhaul the tank, tats big project le.
Old 23-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
monster_88

So far, I think most fishes cannot mix well with shrimps unless there are lots of hiding places in your tank. Even small guppies or tetra will eat shrimplets if they can catch them. The only one that I tried and seem to be safe is otto.