Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 28-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
instinctloh

Default Lights Question

Hi,

Just wondering since plants need lights, then does it matters when comes to types of lights?

For instance different types of color lights and types of tubes.

Can we use normal flourscent tube or we have to buy from the aquarium shop?

Thanks
Old 28-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
larlee

For the purpose of DIY, normal lights we use at home is able to do for aquarium. EG. PL lights, flourscent etc not sure for T5

so long as you can get the right spectrum, you are fine.
Old 29-05-2008, 01:47 AM   #3
bbpippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by instinctloh View Post
Hi,

Just wondering since plants need lights, then does it matters when comes to types of lights?

For instance different types of color lights and types of tubes.

Can we use normal flourscent tube or we have to buy from the aquarium shop?

Thanks
yes it matters . wattage/lumens/kelvins are all factors to consider when getting a lighting set. different plants will make sure of different light spectrums to photosynthesize.
Good light sets will give you a good CRI, (colour rendering index) this will give you a rough guide of the tube's light spectrum.

Getting a good light system from the aquarium might be useful as they would be better versed in your questions as compared to a hardware shop.
But of cos if you noe what youre looking for and the price is cheaper in a hardware shop, then go for it by all means.

hope it helps.
Old 29-05-2008, 02:36 AM   #4
bengy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbpippen View Post
yes it matters . wattage/lumens/kelvins are all factors to consider when getting a lighting set. different plants will make sure of different light spectrums to photosynthesize.
Good light sets will give you a good CRI, (colour rendering index) this will give you a rough guide of the tube's light spectrum.

Getting a good light system from the aquarium might be useful as they would be better versed in your questions as compared to a hardware shop.
But of cos if you noe what youre looking for and the price is cheaper in a hardware shop, then go for it by all means.

hope it helps.

true i support you.... bt becareful if you dunno wiring ask for advises...

important thing to take note is that planted tanks need daylight

light temp is about 6500k to 8000k

depth of water also plays a part..

1ft height FL or PL or T5
1.5ft height PL or T5
2 ft and above MH

note i mentioned is water depth not height of tank... cause when you do planted some space will be used for gravel...
Old 29-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
bbpippen

i using 10k tube =X
Old 29-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
CatOhCat

1000K temp will make ur tank look a bit blue like those marine tank. I think 7200 is the best temp + colour.
Old 29-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
the_r0ck

Generally 6500k to 8000k should be fine. Nothing wrong with using any rating out of that range, but it is usually recommended to go for it. There isn't much of a price difference anyway.
Old 30-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #8
bbpippen

yup just major diff is the 10k is considerably hotter.
Plants wise seems ok, they look healthy.
Old 30-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
bengy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbpippen View Post
yup just major diff is the 10k is considerably hotter.
Plants wise seems ok, they look healthy.
wad plants you keeping? my friend and i personal had a test out for 10k tubes.. didn't work out for us.. plants keep dying.. find it too blue.. once we reduce the K to daylight which is 6500k, plants did better...
Old 30-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
bbpippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengy View Post
wad plants you keeping? my friend and i personal had a test out for 10k tubes.. didn't work out for us.. plants keep dying.. find it too blue.. once we reduce the K to daylight which is 6500k, plants did better...
im keeping us fissidens, spiky, flame, mini-taiwan moss, downoi, HC, mini-nana- tiger lotus,Pellie, riccia and some other unidentified ones.

alot of pearling observed, but i know that pearling doesnt mean healthy plants, but i judge based on their colours, the green is not dull kind, its more of a glowish bright green for some plants indicating healthiness