Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 20-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
snort
Arofanatic

Always check the fish stocks before payment, make it a routine. Treat it as a lesson.
Old 21-12-2009, 02:05 AM   #12
Ovarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonpeng_lee View Post
if i were u..
1. i would have open my eyes BIG BIG when selecting the fishes..
2. i would never mix the new and the old batch together all at the first time.. i
3. i would have QT the new batch for 5-8 days before mixing into the first batch.. u never know your first or second batch have got more parasites
4. i would have removed the 3 bad finrotted altums and treat separately
5. if i would have to keep altums, i would have prepared an additional 1 or 2 more QT time

Well.. treat this lesson as a good learning curve either in selecting the fishes you want to keep and the QT regime that all must practice and goes through in fish keeping
1. They wrap the altum with double bag and you can;t see through even if you open your eye big.

2. 3. 4. 5 Not everyone has many tanks to do quarantine.

The question is why are they selling sick fish in the first place?

Old 21-12-2009, 02:32 AM   #13
Ovarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by armageddon View Post
ya bro. do not push blame 100% to LFS. like all bros whom have said.

FYI, i know of this bro whom is extremely experienced in keeping altums few years back. got a batch from him. what he mentioned about fin root is, altums having fin rot is "part and parcel" and depending on how serious and how well conditioned u have in ur tank and also how u do treatment. he taught me some method of it and he say so far his purchase always only have 10% max casualty rates due to fin rots. his altums survived with me for almost 1 year last time before they kenna disease and die off.

so do take note. in doubts just post and ask. but do a search before u post as well. there are tonnes of resources online and from pass years posting on illlness etc...
The fish batch of altum i brought from another LFS has NO finrot. May be you can accept sick fish but i don't. The problem is the display bag they show has 5 Altum wrapped with one plastic bag. You can see through clearly that they are healthy with no finrot. When they pack for you, it was wrapped with double plastic bag which can't see clearly.

The question is why are they selling sick Altum in the first place. Shouldn;t they catch only the healthy one for you since we are not able to choose or see? Why didn;t they ask whether i can accept sick altum. The conclusion is they are just dishonest or simply don't care.

Old 21-12-2009, 02:46 AM   #14
Ovarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Pope View Post
Abit unfair to call the mentioned LFS "unscrupulous" as you always have the right to see the fishes before paying, which u didn't.

Believe only your eyes. Choose with caution the next time.
Is it fair to me when you can't see, choose and even check. Display healthy fish but sell sick fish is like "Hang Goat Head But Sell Dog Meat"

Old 21-12-2009, 03:50 AM   #15
Natureman
Dragon

You have the right to inspect the fishes before payment. you could have asked them to pack in one bag first or get them to remove the second bag amd then check the fishes for any sickness. I think this lfs just want to do one time business with you and passed you those sick altums.
Old 21-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
joonpeng_lee
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovarp View Post
1. They wrap the altum with double bag and you can;t see through even if you open your eye big.

2. 3. 4. 5 Not everyone has many tanks to do quarantine.

The question is why are they selling sick fish in the first place?
i tink there are some lfs that do put sick fish and or stunt fish for display or sale... really got to open eyes big big and know what you are buying
Old 21-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #17
nicktc
Senior Dragon

I think everyone agrees with you that our LFS could do better.

But why did you buy when you can’t see the fish properly?

If you can’t even see the condition of the fishes, then how sure are you that those fishes inside are altums?

I cannot comprehend how a person who cannot accept sick fishes will pay for fishes that he can’t even see clearly?
Old 21-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #18
Grand Pope
Dragon

Quote:
Is it fair to me when you can't see, choose and even check. Display healthy fish but sell sick fish is like "Hang Goat Head But Sell Dog Meat"
Quote:
Well then u should have insisted on checking the fishes before paying. You will always have the right not to buy if they don't even let you check what you are actually buying.

Then again, anything you wish to buy before making payment you would have check it out 1st right? Unless you telling me you don't.
Old 21-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #19
situs-sk2
Dragon

Quote:
In this Altum season, I have brought 5 pcs of Altum from one of the LFS initially. They are chosen by me from the tank and all doing well for this first week. The next week, I saw some healthy Altums display in bag in another LFS. As I am looking for smaller one, I request to view and choose the Altum which are kept inside a restricted zone. The LFS replied that no viewing and selection is allowed. Believe that they have healthy Altum as what they have show in the display bag. I brought 10 pcs of Altum and they are pack 5 pcs per bag. When I released these Altum in the tank, I was horrified to see 3 new Altum are with bad finrot. The finrot is so bad that you will never choose no matter what. Eventually, all Altum are infested by finrot and they die one by one. In the end, 10 Altum form the 2nd batch and 1 from the 1st batch die. 4 Altum from the 1st batch eventually recovered and survive till now.

Just to share my experience for that no one get cheat in the future.

lols...i think my friend and myself have the similar experience and i know the LFS which u refering. Just learnt from lesson lor, once bitten twice shy.

Rather pay more to have the selection of AA next time
there are so many LFS carry AA when season come, we shall move on
Old 22-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #20
armageddon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
The fish batch of altum i brought from another LFS has NO finrot. May be you can accept sick fish but i don't. The problem is the display bag they show has 5 Altum wrapped with one plastic bag. You can see through clearly that they are healthy with no finrot. When they pack for you, it was wrapped with double plastic bag which can't see clearly.

The question is why are they selling sick Altum in the first place. Shouldn;t they catch only the healthy one for you since we are not able to choose or see? Why didn;t they ask whether i can accept sick altum. The conclusion is they are just dishonest or simply don't care.
bro, case is very clear already.
1. not advisable to straight away put 1st batch with 2nd batch.
2. everyone agrees LFS can do better so this is pretty much down on u already as LFS we can't control but urself u can control
3. take it as a lesson. be it how hard u are angry with, end of day the LFS would not even know it. so why let them "cheat" ur money and ur mood in fish keeping? dun be silly.
4. nothing is perfect.
Closed Thread

Tags
altum