Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > AquaMedics Board & Pet Loss

Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
francis

Default Arowana Not Eating for weeks

Hi Bros,

My Aro not been eating for weeks already... once a few days will eat only 1 piece of MP or 1 SW and stop eating again... Change water regularly... Any possible that something is wrong with the fish throat or mouth? It used to eat alot... Very responsive everytime i thrown the MP or SW into the tank. Out of sudden one day it stop eating and behave this way... Now everytime it eats, it would eat and spit out a few times untill the food become smaller or softer then it will swallow it and then stop eating again. Fish still look healthy & swim healthily though... Please help....
Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Dwight Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis View Post
Hi Bros,

My Aro not been eating for weeks already... once a few days will eat only 1 piece of MP or 1 SW and stop eating again... Change water regularly... Any possible that something is wrong with the fish throat or mouth? It used to eat alot... Very responsive everytime i thrown the MP or SW into the tank. Out of sudden one day it stop eating and behave this way... Now everytime it eats, it would eat and spit out a few times untill the food become smaller or softer then it will swallow it and then stop eating again. Fish still look healthy & swim healthily though... Please help....
Hi bro you might want to try other food like small frogs? My aro also was on a hunger strike for 2 weeks, dash immediately to the mp but don't want to swallow. I tried small frogs and it enjoyed them. I think it's most likely bored of the current food. Nevertheless, check your water parameters.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
itchy
Endangered Dragon

What's your water perimeters like?
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
whippet
Arofanatic

Quote:
Hi Bros,

Bro, its very common to hear aros fasting for weeks or even months. Like what the other bros suggested, maybe feed it with something different and check your water parameters.
Hopefully, you can troubleshoot the problem and your aro will start eating soon.
whippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Quote:
Hi Bros,

how big is your aro & when did you bag it home? aros do go on some starvation thing for some time. my 22" goldie did not eat anything for some 3 weeks the last time. yes, no injury & nothing.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
AlvinLeong
Dragon

How big is your aro? Do a check on your water parameters.

If your aro is an adult fish, it is normal for them to starve once in a while up to few months. Mine straved for 3 months. Only maybe once every 2 weeks eat a small piece of MP. Still damn big size and healthy. Now back to normal feeding.

If the water parameters are fine, DO NOT start adding this chemical that chemical into the water...... just do everything as per normal. WC and feed other tankmates.

The aro will start eating when it feel like doing so.
AlvinLeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
francis

Thank you all bros advice...

Aro about 10-11 inches
Brought back Jan this year
Was very active & eat alot at first then out of sudden 1 day stop eating...
Water perimeters ok... only regular WC... Not much chemical added...
I tried MP, SW, Crickets, Feeders fish & shrimps, small worms... Not yet try froggy...
Happy happy eat one of the above & spit out, eat & spit out again a few times before finally eat it... sometimes spit out liao dun eat...
So i thought something wrong with it's mouth or throat????
Generally Aro look healthy... swim here & there... Body still ok... But just dun eat...
All bros should understand, once our Aro stop eating, we also no appetite to eat...
Anyway, thanks for advise... I will continue to monitor...
Old 11-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
RedFan123

Bro, understand your anxious thoughts over your aro not feeding. Fellow bros advices are sound and attainable. Be patient and your aro will start eating again when it decided to come out of the starvation mode.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Quote:
Thank you all bros advice...

Aro about 10-11 inches
Brought back Jan this year
Was very active & eat alot at first then out of sudden 1 day stop eating...
Water perimeters ok... only regular WC... Not much chemical added...
I tried MP, SW, Crickets, Feeders fish & shrimps, small worms... Not yet try froggy...
Happy happy eat one of the above & spit out, eat & spit out again a few times before finally eat it... sometimes spit out liao dun eat...
So i thought something wrong with it's mouth or throat????
Generally Aro look healthy... swim here & there... Body still ok... But just dun eat...
All bros should understand, once our Aro stop eating, we also no appetite to eat...
Anyway, thanks for advise... I will continue to monitor...

my last rtg went through almost the same phase of yours. at 11" & one year with me, it suddenly stopped feeding. i tried every type of feed. nothing works. just maintain good water parameters & wc.

i continued tempting it to eat each passing day. remove uneaten food after 5 minutes. for 2 weeks straight it went without food.

suddenly, one fine day, it began to feed eat.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
harrysoo
Dragon

need not worry too much as aro sometmes go on fasting mode without apparent reason, just maintain your water parameter, just for info, my 22" chilli went on hunger strike for close to 3 mth.
harrysoo is offline   Reply With Quote