Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 23-02-2005, 07:22 AM   #11
Nanami

adding baking soda buffers the mixture so that it doesn't run out that fast and also to control the bubbling rate it'll not affect your tank's kh. i personally think it's advisable to add so that the mixture wont go haywire(ie produce a lot of co2 in the first few days then after that the mixture just dies )
hmmm but when the water comes out from the sump it'll be gone since it's sort of like a waterfall(?) at the output area? since there's surface agitation the co2 will be gone... perhaps it's more advisable to have another powerhead at a more remote area in the tank where there's not that much surface agitation so as to prevent co2 loss
Old 23-02-2005, 07:30 AM   #12
tango2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanami
adding baking soda buffers the mixture so that it doesn't run out that fast and also to control the bubbling rate it'll not affect your tank's kh. i personally think it's advisable to add so that the mixture wont go haywire(ie produce a lot of co2 in the first few days then after that the mixture just dies )
hmmm but when the water comes out from the sump it'll be gone since it's sort of like a waterfall(?) at the output area? since there's surface agitation the co2 will be gone... perhaps it's more advisable to have another powerhead at a more remote area in the tank where there's not that much surface agitation so as to prevent co2 loss
The output in actually 3 inches below the water line, and I can also point the outlet 180 degrees in different directions. So maybe I can point in downwards a little.
Old 23-02-2005, 07:37 AM   #13
Nanami

that'd be good! do update on how your plants fared with the extra co2 hmmmm just an afterthought would it be better if you used 3 2-litre bottles instead? just a thought heh heh being greedy
Old 23-02-2005, 07:45 AM   #14
tango2201

Quote:
that'd be good! do update on how your plants fared with the extra co2 hmmmm just an afterthought would it be better if you used 3 2-litre bottles instead? just a thought heh heh being greedy
Haha! I'll try 2 first, I'm a newbie with the DIY co2, can't be greedy yet BTW, how much should baking soda should I add in each bottle? Thanks for all your help bro!
Old 23-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #15
Nanami

hmmmm with 2 litres i'm not too sure how much to add but i usually add twice as much soda compared to yeast.... hmmm maybe try 1 teaspoon soda and 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of yeast....just try this as a start first and monitor the co2 output then from there you adjust the proportions of your mixture. have to keep trying to find the right proportion.... all the other bros are still sleeping perhaps you'll have some more help by then btw i'm a girl
Old 23-02-2005, 07:54 AM   #16
Nanami

level teaspoon, forgot to add

useful link: diy co2
Old 23-02-2005, 07:59 AM   #17
tango2201

Quote:
hmmmm with 2 litres i'm not too sure how much to add but i usually add twice as much soda compared to yeast.... hmmm maybe try 1 teaspoon soda and 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of yeast....just try this as a start first and monitor the co2 output then from there you adjust the proportions of your mixture. have to keep trying to find the right proportion.... all the other bros are still sleeping perhaps you'll have some more help by then btw i'm a girl
Oh! Thanks Sissss!!!!!
Old 23-02-2005, 08:12 AM   #18
Nanami

no prob bro! hope someone will come in later to correct me if i'm wrong
Old 23-02-2005, 10:52 AM   #19
tango2201

i jsut found a 3.79 liter bottle, should I use that instead of (2) 2 liter bottles?
Old 23-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #20
simcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango2201
i jsut found a 3.79 liter bottle, should I use that instead of (2) 2 liter bottles?
If you really into planted tanks...investing in a co2 cylinder is much worth it

will help reduce your maintance chore of mixing the yeast every month.

Honestly DIY CO2 for such 3ft/4ft tank i assume is a chore.... and can easily result in instable co2 level.....ended up in cloudy water or algae bloom(unstable Ph also) too much of a chore to me(fighting to keep water paramenters stable)....i gave in and burn a hole in my pocket.

Now i got more time to sit in front of my tanks and stare lolz. My only maintance now is to feed and change water. So far so good my 2ft with 1.5l co2 cylinder last for 4-5mths at 2bps.