Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum > Showcase & Updates

Old 11-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #31
genki
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmike View Post
so its a chiku ray?
Good one..............Ahahaha!
Possible X with baluku also.
genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #32
ciewie

Quote:
no need to worry about ur hand in the tank. u can ask satan_gal n Elindra. they SAW me putting my hands IN tanks of RAYS at the farm before. even when im at home sometimes during WC i will put my hand in the tank to disturb my MM. RAYS WONT STING UNNECESSARILY.
Dont want to put my hand in the tank.... for this tank will ask my house maid to do wc...

Quote:
after another 1-2 wks after the patterns on the ray brighten up will b easier to tell. we dont make ourselves headache.

ciewie: update their pics again in 1-2 wks time.

will update if they still alive. sorry for not confidence. since just saw the female breathing heavily. Is it normal, if the ray breath until the front disc lift up?

so its a chiku ray?
maybe U refer to bachiku ray?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #33
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by genki View Post
Bro, you're walking a thin line there. All it takes is 1 time nia........might work for you but not so for others. Just be careful though!
Life is like a box of chocolates......You never know what you gonna get.
understanding the characteristics n behavior of the ray is very impt. i have to admit so far i only almost got stung once by Elindra's gal when it was still in the farm's tank. other than that i can use a stick to poke my MM n press on it n it dont even bother to move its tail. the most impt thing to look out for when ur hand is near a ray is make sure ur hand is always at the front of the ray n never near the tail. but sometimes when i have my hand in my tank cleaning the sand/glass n my MM or ex Motoro swim pass my hand also no problem. once there is any movement of the tail better move ur hand away fr the ray IMMEDIATELY.
Schmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #34
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by genki View Post
Good one..............Ahahaha!
Possible X with baluku also.
i think that will look nice. n maybe taste nice also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciewie View Post
will update if they still alive. sorry for not confidence. since just saw the female breathing heavily. Is it normal, if the ray breath until the front disc lift up?

maybe U refer to bachiku ray?
u can keep them alive. dont have to worry. sometimes they do that. its ok. as long as not the whole disc is curling up then its fine.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #35
ciewie

Quote:
understanding the characteristics n behavior of the ray is very impt. i have to admit so far i only almost got stung once by Elindra's gal when it was still in the farm's tank. other than that i can use a stick to poke my MM n press on it n it dont even bother to move its tail. the most impt thing to look out for when ur hand is near a ray is make sure ur hand is always at the front of the ray n never near the tail. but sometimes when i have my hand in my tank cleaning the sand/glass n my MM or ex Motoro swim pass my hand also no problem. once there is any movement of the tail better move ur hand away fr the ray IMMEDIATELY.
for e.eel not afraid, but for this poison sting has to consider twice. is the shred stinger also poison?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #36
ciewie

Quote:
i think that will look nice. n maybe taste nice also.

u can keep them alive. dont have to worry. sometimes they do that. its ok. as long as not the whole disc is curling up then its fine.
Yup, the marine ray also taste nice......... taste it b4 at newton. yum yum.

thanks for cheering me. afraid tomorrow the ray already go to ray heaven liauw.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #37
Spire

seems like a pair of nice yepezi pups to me
Old 11-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #38
genki
Dragon

Quote:
for e.eel not afraid, but for this poison sting has to consider twice. is the shred stinger also poison?
FYI..........The entire spine is covered with a thin layer of skin called the integumentary sheath, in which venom is concentrated.[1] The venom contains the enzymes 5-nucleotidase and phosphodiesterase which breakdown and kill cells; and the neurotransmitter serotonin which provokes smooth-muscle contractions.[2] This gives them their common name of stingrays (a compound of "sting" and "ray"),[3] but the name can also be used to refer to any poisonous ray.

http://www.answers.com/topic/stingray
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...=353605&page=2
Old 11-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #39
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
the sting that sheds off will turn white. that is not poisonous anymore. its the layer of "skin" on the sting that contains the poison.

Quote:
Yup, the marine ray also taste nice......... taste it b4 at newton. yum yum.

thanks for cheering me. afraid tomorrow the ray already go to ray heaven liauw.
no need to worry as long as u take gd care of ur water.

i think i found the identity of ur ray.

what u got might b Potamotrygon orbignyi (also Potamotrygon reticulata which i was telling satan_gal)
http://fishbase.se/Summary/speciesSu...me=Reticulatus

extracted fr http://stingraysource.com/StingraySo...reticulata.htm:
However, R.S Rosa recently hypothesized that P. Reticulata is synonymous with Potamotrygon Orbignyi, and should be classified as such. Hobbyists have noted some morphological differences in what seems to be 2 separate sub-species, such as the tail structure varying from one specimen to the next. It is near impossible to use these physical characteristics in home aquaria as defining parameters in the variations, due to shipping damage of the tail structure. Other defining characteristics in the variations have been noted as well, including the pattern and coloration on the underside of one P. Reticulata, while this characteristic is unfound in some other varieties of P. Reticulata.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #40
genki
Dragon

Quote:
the sting that sheds off will turn white. that is not poisonous anymore. its the layer of "skin" on the sting that contains the poison.

Agree!

no need to worry as long as u take gd care of ur water.

i think i found the identity of ur ray.

what u got might b Potamotrygon orbignyi (also Potamotrygon reticulata which i was telling satan_gal)
http://fishbase.se/Summary/speciesSu...me=Reticulatus

extracted fr http://stingraysource.com/StingraySo...reticulata.htm:
However, R.S Rosa recently hypothesized that P. Reticulata is synonymous with Potamotrygon Orbignyi, and should be classified as such. Hobbyists have noted some morphological differences in what seems to be 2 separate sub-species, such as the tail structure varying from one specimen to the next. It is near impossible to use these physical characteristics in home aquaria as defining parameters in the variations, due to shipping damage of the tail structure. Other defining characteristics in the variations have been noted as well, including the pattern and coloration on the underside of one P. Reticulata, while this characteristic is unfound in some other varieties of P. Reticulata.
Tonight lessons on stingray species by Schmike......LoL!
Thanks for the info!