Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 24-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
fat jester

TFS ur creation sir..Definitely useful in times to come..Salute...
Old 24-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
Xmant
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
sure.........

hhhmmm...., narrow base at the egg chambler is a must to prevent the eggs to get sucked. Broader base egg chambler will result in eggs stuck in top mesh. Thats why I have 2 joint design, where lower joint is small (narrow). I am not sure if a broader base below the lower mesh helps or not.
Thats why the air flow has to be properly controlled. Same thing would happen to narrow base too. The reason of having broader base so that the eggs can be easily tumbled to shake off possible fungus attachment. If the eggs are left to suspend in mid air(water), fungus can be easily attached to the unhatched eggs and resulted in moldy after running it for a few days.

Within a few days, inside the tube will have enough micoscopic growth to provide food for shrimplets and if your design is not fash flow but the eggs are tumbling within a few millimeter, the newly hatched shrimplets can survive and feed inside the hatchery without need for fast removal.[/QUOTE]
From my past experience, shrimplets cant take the upstream flow for long. They died because of the strong current and not the lack of food.

There is another problem with this design. The seed shrimps will attack and eat the eggs. Need to implement another layer to prevent seed shrimps from getting close to the eggs if the tank is infected with seed shrimps at the base section.
Xmant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
silane
Senior Dragon

i dont see seed shrimps is a problem when the eggs are tumbling in between the 2 mesh, unless seed shrimps are placed with eggs. With correct mesh size, seed shrimps r not able to pass through the mesh, and even if it pass through, the eggs are tumbling, i am not sure if a seed shrimp is capable of holding on to a moving egg.

Last edited by silane; 24-05-2012 at 04:14 PM.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
sheng
Dragon

Great idea,thanks for sharing
sheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
magpie
Arofanatic

Hey Silane,

Do you have success in this design for dead pregnant shrimp eggs to hatch from egg to shrimplets. Design is nice, mechanism is well-planned but it must be put to test with success.
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Hey Silane,

Do you have success in this design for dead pregnant shrimp eggs to hatch from egg to shrimplets. Design is nice, mechanism is well-planned but it must be put to test with success.
yes, i designed this years ago to hatch eggs of $500 hinomaru female. Managed to get some Shrimplets.

I have not been using hatchery for long time, this unit was re-create just to show how it looked like after so many requests.
Old 24-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #17
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
No pet bottle involved but cost of tubes and stuff... Maybe I can make and sell at $15 liao. Ok AF members discount, $12 nett. (i'm not so creative nor entreprising actually). Such improvised devices are good for hobbyist. Defray cost, but also remains innovative.

I need to digest the design a bit when I'm free next week. Where can we find such fine nettings you used there?

So far, when I have dead pregnant shrimps, i leave e eggs in a breeding container, where the holes are too wide. Cannot use direct water (outlet) into e container else eggs slips out.
good biz mind. i am just here to share ideas, not into selling the hatchery or the ideas.

years ago, when i have yet to acquire proper mesh, i cut it from fish net. Recently, found a mesh shop and now using plastic mesh.
Old 24-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
Xmant
Dragon

Quote:
i dont see seed shrimps is a problem when the eggs are tumbling in between the 2 mesh, unless seed shrimps are placed with eggs. With correct mesh size, seed shrimps r not able to pass through the mesh, and even if it pass through, the eggs are tumbling, i am not sure if a seed shrimp is capable of holding on to a moving egg.
Had noticed before that my seed shrimps from the other side of the netting had managed to grab hold and consume the eggs. The small base has some flaws which doesn't make it easy to tumble. Although the design looked great, but there are still room for improvement.
Xmant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
magpie
Arofanatic

Thanks for sharing.
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #20
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
good biz mind. i am just here to share ideas, not into selling the hatchery or the ideas.
Li bo patent it hor? But if you see it selling at $15 (or $12), it's not me hor. I don't do such things one. But yes, thank you for sharing, many of us get to learn something new. This keeps the interest, more interesting.

If you hv any idea where to find the mesh, can share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmant View Post
The small base has some flaws which doesn't make it easy to tumble. Although the design looked great, but there are still room for improvement.
Oh yes, you did hv a seed shrimp trap device that you DIY awhile back, which was really awesome too. I'm not so good with creativity, so maybe if you hv some more improvised idea, do share with us too.

I like DIY stuff, but only when e issue really bugs, else it won't occur to get the mind ticking for some ideas.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote