Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 07-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by domvonn View Post
Bro , the tank setup is not exactly ideal for marine .the cab does not look strong enough, it may last for a while before the wood warp and give way .
You can remove the cover and measure the glass thickness .
there's still some wood attached to the glass after removing the cover. its about 2cm after measuring it with a ruler. The supplier said some people uses that tank to keep those plant that requires lots of soil etc and it still can withstand the weight, so she said for marine tank shouldn't be a problem.. lol im confused.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
I agree with EvolutionZ. You shouldn't use that tank for marine. Its better to bite the bullet and do it right from the start rather than start off with an unsuitable setup. You would have a lot less headache and be able to enjoy the hobby a lot more.

I'm afraid using less sand and liverocks isn't going to help as saltwater is heavier than freshwater. The extra pressure exerted by saltwater on the tank walls might cause the walls to warp. I've observed this in my old 2x1x1 tank where the wall running along the length of the tank is bent outwards due to the pressure. There is a danger of the tank leaking or giving way over time. I'm also not sure if the cabinet can take the extra weight from the saltwater tank.
My tank is slightly curved at the front. and at the corners. will the extra pressure make it worst?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
domvonn
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams View Post
there's still some wood attached to the glass after removing the cover. its about 2cm after measuring it with a ruler. The supplier said some people uses that tank to keep those plant that requires lots of soil etc and it still can withstand the weight, so she said for marine tank shouldn't be a problem.. lol im confused.
ok bro where did u get the tank from ?
domvonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
KaLiB

Whether the extra pressure from the saltwater would affect your tank or not depends on how thick are the tank walls as well as the type of bracing used. This is what I'm concerned about as there is a real danger of the tank giving way over time.

When fully filled, pressure is applied to all the walls of the tank including the base. Most of the pressure on the walls will come from the saltwater rather than from the rocks & sand. Hence IMO, the statement that the tank being able to take the weight of the soil in a planted tank is not very accurate in determining it's suitability for marine aquaria. The effect of the weight of saltwater on the walls is not fully taken into account here.

Apart from custom built tanks or nano tanks, most tanks are made with freshwater aquarium in mind and not saltwater aquarium. Freshwater tanks are not designed to withstand pressure from saltwater. Saltwater tanks require thicker glass/acrylic to withstand the added pressure. There is a real danger of the tank bursting or leaking under the extra pressure over time if the walls are not thick enough or the bracing is insufficient.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
Dreams

Quote:
ok bro where did u get the tank from ?
Got it from OTF aquarium farm at pasir ris farm way 3
Old 07-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
Whether the extra pressure from the saltwater would affect your tank or not depends on how thick are the tank walls as well as the type of bracing used. This is what I'm concerned about as there is a real danger of the tank giving way over time.

When fully filled, pressure is applied to all the walls of the tank including the base. Most of the pressure on the walls will come from the saltwater rather than from the rocks & sand. Hence IMO, the statement that the tank being able to take the weight of the soil in a planted tank is not very accurate in determining it's suitability for marine aquaria. The effect of the weight of saltwater on the walls is not fully taken into account here.

Apart from custom built tanks or nano tanks, most tanks are made with freshwater aquarium in mind and not saltwater aquarium. Freshwater tanks are not designed to withstand pressure from saltwater. Saltwater tanks require thicker glass/acrylic to withstand the added pressure. There is a real danger of the tank bursting or leaking under the extra pressure over time if the walls are not thick enough or the bracing is insufficient.
I think the glass thickness is 8mm thick if im not wrong...
Is it enough? I think its not 100% glass also, its mixed with some plastic and glass if im not wrong. product from china.. here's the tank description.
http://www.yuemei.net.cn/product/products.asp?cp=170
Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
domvonn
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams View Post
Got it from OTF aquarium farm at pasir ris farm way 3
OTF is a FWater based farm ah....
Bro really not safe.
domvonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
Dreams

Quote:
OTF is a FWater based farm ah....
Bro really not safe.
But they told me can use for marine sia.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
joshua02
Arofanatic

Bro saw that one of the bro in SGreef club is giving away a 4ft set up FOC. Probably u can consider since its free. Take a look at that.
joshua02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #20
Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua02 View Post
Bro saw that one of the bro in SGreef club is giving away a 4ft set up FOC. Probably u can consider since its free. Take a look at that.
Can i have the link pls?