Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #31
spgohjc

Bro, how do you intend to cool your tank?
It might hold SW but to be frank, the overall design is meant more for FW or planted tank. No offence. Just be watchful over the installation. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #32
Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgohjc View Post
Bro, how do you intend to cool your tank?
It might hold SW but to be frank, the overall design is meant more for FW or planted tank. No offence. Just be watchful over the installation. Good luck.
Maybe im planning to invest on a chiller.. it depends. Right now i've bought some styrofoam to place it underneath the tank to even out the pressure.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #33
KaLiB

You can find eheim canister filters at FW LFS. For the east side, you can try mainland fish farm at pasir ris.

I also highly recommend that you readup on this thread started by deep_end. It will help you a lot in understanding the basics of marine aquaria.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #34
Dreams

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
You can find eheim canister filters at FW LFS. For the east side, you can try mainland fish farm at pasir ris.

I also highly recommend that you readup on this thread started by deep_end. It will help you a lot in understanding the basics of marine aquaria.
Thanks, i've read that before.. I just wanna keep things simple and not so complicated when keeping marine fish. Which type of canister filter would u recommend?
Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #35
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams View Post
Thanks, i've read that before.. I just wanna keep things simple and not so complicated when keeping marine fish. Which type of canister filter would u recommend?
The thing is, marine is not like freshwater. Marine is complicated and not simple at all. More complicated when you go into corals and SPS.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #36
KaLiB

Eheim canister filters come with specifications as to what tank size they are designed for, you would just need to pick a model that is suited to your tank size. You can pick one that is over rated for your tank size.

I'm afraid the what EvolutionZ said is true, the hard truth about marine fishkeeping is that it isn't as simple and straight forward like freshwater. It is a totally different game altogether and it requires a lot of research and understanding on the part of the hobbyist. Rushing into this hobby without doing sufficient planning and research is almost a sure way to fail, I have been there and done that. Even worse, you might end up having to fix problem after problem later on and spending more than necessary. From the threads you have posted, it seems to me you do not have a good grasp of the basics. If you have any questions, its better to ask them here in this thread before getting too far ahead.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #37
Dreams

Quote:
Eheim canister filters come with specifications as to what tank size they are designed for, you would just need to pick a model that is suited to your tank size. You can pick one that is over rated for your tank size.

I'm afraid the what EvolutionZ said is true, the hard truth about marine fishkeeping is that it isn't as simple and straight forward like freshwater. It is a totally different game altogether and it requires a lot of research and understanding on the part of the hobbyist. Rushing into this hobby without doing sufficient planning and research is almost a sure way to fail, I have been there and done that. Even worse, you might end up having to fix problem after problem later on and spending more than necessary. From the threads you have posted, it seems to me you do not have a good grasp of the basics. If you have any questions, its better to ask them here in this thread before getting too far ahead.
There's a guy selling a sump and a skimz overflow for 70. If I get that, do I need to get any extra pump or what?

Aim and achieve.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #38
KaLiB

You would need to take measurements of your tank and check that the skimz overflow box can fit onto your tank otherwise its a wasted investment. Is the tank against a wall? If it is, you would need to shift the tank until you can fit the overflow box. Putting it on the side of the tank is generally a bad idea as it will then occupy the space and prevent you from putting any lights(apart from hanging them down from the ceiling/rack).

If the sump does not come with a return pump, you would need to buy a return pump yourself. Again, I'll recommend Eheim pumps. Something in the 3000 to 4000l/hr range would be sufficient. I'm using the Universal 1262 for my 4x2x2 for the last 9years and it is still going strong. You would also most likely have to buy PVC pipes and redo the piping.

Be prepared to spend many hours installing the sump, overflow box and doing the piping.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #39
Dreams

Quote:
You would need to take measurements of your tank and check that the skimz overflow box can fit onto your tank otherwise its a wasted investment. Is the tank against a wall? If it is, you would need to shift the tank until you can fit the overflow box. Putting it on the side of the tank is generally a bad idea as it will then occupy the space and prevent you from putting any lights(apart from hanging them down from the ceiling/rack).

If the sump does not come with a return pump, you would need to buy a return pump yourself. Again, I'll recommend Eheim pumps. Something in the 3000 to 4000l/hr range would be sufficient. I'm using the Universal 1262 for my 4x2x2 for the last 9years and it is still going strong. You would also most likely have to buy PVC pipes and redo the piping.

Be prepared to spend many hours installing the sump, overflow box and doing the piping.
Lets say if I m ready to spend all on a sump. And the extra equipment thats being used on the sump. How much would it cost and what are the stuffs I should get? How much is the overflow thing and all the pumps needed for the sump??

Aim and achieve.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #40
KaLiB

Before we get any further ahead, are you planning to fill the tank to the brim afterall? The overflow box will not work if the tank is partially filled. I don't think it is a good idea to fill this tank to the brim.