Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 09-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
Dreams

Default How much salt to add?

Just bought some Red Sea salt for my 131 liters tank. May i know how much salt do i have to add into the tank, and how long must i stir it, or do i just wait for it to dissolve on its own?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
KaLiB

The amount of salt to use is measured using either a hydrometer or refractometer. They will give the reading in terms of specific gravity. Marine LFS and some freshwater LFS carry hydrometers. The swing arm type(typically a container with a floating needle within it) is recommended as they are easy to read as compared to the floating type. The target specific gravity is 1.023 to 1.025.

You can either premix the saltwater in a pail and pour it into the tank pail by pail or you can add salt and water directly to the tank and mix in the tank using a powerhead/wavemaker. Please avoid stirring the water in the tank and to add salt to water and not the other way round.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
The amount of salt to use is measured using either a hydrometer or refractometer. They will give the reading in terms of specific gravity. Marine LFS and some freshwater LFS carry hydrometers. The swing arm type(typically a container with a floating needle within it) is recommended as they are easy to read as compared to the floating type. The target specific gravity is 1.023 to 1.025.

You can either premix the saltwater in a pail and pour it into the tank pail by pail or you can add salt and water directly to the tank and mix in the tank using a powerhead/wavemaker. Please avoid stirring the water in the tank and to add salt to water and not the other way round.
I've added like 7kg of salt into my 131liters tank by stirring it.. now the reading on my hydrometer is 1.022. Do i need to add more or is it fine already?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
KaLiB

The target specific gravity is 1.023 to 1.025. 1.022 is slightly low.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
The target specific gravity is 1.023 to 1.025. 1.022 is slightly low.
Is it normal for me to add like 8-10kg of salt into a 3ft tank? Cos i've already added like 7kg and thats like quite alot to me imo.. And there are also tiny little bubble like-things on the glass of my tank, Are those salt or what? I've not activated any equipment yet..
Old 10-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

my 260L tank i added 11kg of red sea coral pro salt. you have activated any equipments? dont tell me you didnt on your filter or any sort of water moving equipments to stir the salt?
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
my 260L tank i added 11kg of red sea coral pro salt. you have activated any equipments? dont tell me you didnt on your filter or any sort of water moving equipments to stir the salt?
Nothing activated yet. Used hand to stir the salt. Getting a canister filter tmr..
Old 10-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams View Post
Nothing activated yet. Used hand to stir the salt. Getting a canister filter tmr..
wow... not sure if the salt will go bad anot. never heard of anyone add salt never turn pump on to mix it one... good luck.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
alcohologist

if possible, run a powerhead/wavemaker in the tank now. it's possible that not all the salt has dissolved.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcohologist View Post
if possible, run a powerhead/wavemaker in the tank now. it's possible that not all the salt has dissolved.
Will running a canister filter work ?