Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 12-08-2011, 03:57 AM   #31
ralliart12

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted View Post
You take reading 3days after your water change or adding of chemicals.
Do I even need to bother taking reading once at the very, very beginning just for "reference"? i.e. to see whether my cycling method is in e right direction?
Old 12-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #32
ZackZhou

Good luck in your adventures in keeping shrimp nevertheless!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #33
Planted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
Do I even need to bother taking reading once at the very, very beginning just for "reference"? i.e. to see whether my cycling method is in e right direction?
No need. if you use the speed cycling, test after a week. If normal cycling, test after a month. Test to find if parameter has been settled down.

NH3: 0ppm
NO2: 0ppm
NO3: less than 10ppm
KH: around 1-4
GH: around 3-6

KH and GH varies with the livestock you wish to keep. check with the shrimps expert to see which is best for sakura/fire red/cherry/snowball and even crs.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #34
globalcookie
Dragon

Spoon Feeding! Infor found in Sticky or using the... internet.

From the link below:
Post #1 talked about cycling with ADA soil.
Post #10 talked abt chlorine or chloramine
Post #26 talked about using 'dirty water' from used filter, where uncountable bacterial is available
http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/show...e-with-ADAsoil

Power of Search, from the internet... Amonia to Nitrite to Nitrate
Quote:
your filter will grow a culture of bacteria that digest ammonia and turn it into Nitrite (which is more toxic than the ammonia in hard water or water with a higher pH), then your filter produces bacteria that digest Nitrite and turn it into relatively harmless Nitrate
(link http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php )

More info on Cycling.... power of the internet again
http://www.reef-fanatics.com/forums/...arium-153.html

Quote:
Ammonia is highly toxic, and its effect on the fish's gills could be compared to shampoo in your eyes...it "burns"! Worse yet, it will also cause permanent damage to the very tissues that allow the fish to breath. This damage is so serious that a significant fraction of fish used to cycle a tank die during the cycling period itself, and even those who do manage to survive the cycle have their life expectancy greatly shortened.
question the necessity of subjecting our poor fish to the "torture" described above.
A growing trend in tank cycling is the method called Fishless Cycling. This method is more humane than the traditional way because, as the name implies, no fish are used.
Fishless cycling? Refer back to first URL where Silane shared about using 'dirty water' from used filter.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #35
BettaCloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Spoon Feeding! Infor found in Sticky or using the... internet.

From the link below:
Post #1 talked about cycling with ADA soil.
Post #10 talked abt chlorine or chloramine
Post #26 talked about using 'dirty water' from used filter, where uncountable bacterial is available
http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/show...e-with-ADAsoil

Power of Search, from the internet... Amonia to Nitrite to Nitrate

(link http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php )

More info on Cycling.... power of the internet again
http://www.reef-fanatics.com/forums/...arium-153.html

Fishless cycling? Refer back to first URL where Silane shared about using 'dirty water' from used filter.
indeed spoonfeed. good gesture for bros who are really busy or lost at the many sticky threads set up to help them.

can't up, it not i will up u for this good gesture.
Old 13-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #36
ralliart12

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted View Post
1)Pour old sea mud under the soil. Dosage to be estimated base on your tank size.
2)Age the water, use conditioner + air pump. After at least a day, pour water into the tank.
3) scoop a tau huey tub of water from the tank, add BT-9 into the tub and stir well. Then add into your tank, ensuring a well spread over the tank.
Qn1: Anything wrong if I do it this way instead?:

Day 1
  1. Apply Mosura Old Sea Mud Powder underneath (according to this post) the GEX "Shrimp & Plants" soil
  2. Fill tank with water (that has already sat for a few days)
  3. Apply SeaChem Prime
  4. Turn on filtration & run for a day or 2

Day 2/day 3
  1. Do a close to 100% WC, & apply some BT-9 directly into the tank (water) & stir?
  2. Continue cycling & WC-ing as per the 1st post on this thread?

Qn2: I supposed I'm not supposed to apply BT-9 directly on day 1 (when I just applied old sea mud powder & SeaChem Prime)?
Old 13-08-2011, 03:37 AM   #37
Jianyuan
Arofanatic

You left your filtrations to run only for the first 2 days?
Jianyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 03:45 AM   #38
ralliart12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jianyuan View Post
You left your filtrations to run only for the first 2 days?
Oops sorry, my sentence is inaccurate; I mean to say, "turn on filtration to run, then after a day or 2...then...". I will, of course, leave the filtration running beyond "a day or 2"
Old 13-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #39
Planted

Thumbs up

Quote:

Day 1
  1. Apply Mosura Old Sea Mud Powder underneath (according to this post) the GEX "Shrimp & Plants" soil
  2. Fill tank with water (that has already sat for a few days)
  3. Apply SeaChem Prime

Day 2/day 3
  1. Do a close to 100% WC, & apply some BT-9 directly into the tank (water) & stir?

Qn2: I supposed I'm not supposed to apply BT-9 directly on day 1 (when I just applied old sea mud powder & SeaChem Prime)?
you had found yourself good guides to follow. just do it and wait for results. All the best now to you!
Old 13-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #40
Planted

Quote:

Day 1
  2. Fill tank with water (that has already sat for a few days) is the water aerated/pump with oxygen?
  3. Apply SeaChem Prime

Day 2/day 3

Let the SeaChem Prime work it out first. Removing other chemical that may be heavy for the beneficial bacteria to handle to prevent it from killing the BB. Then Add Bt-09 BB to water after the water has been stablized or so "assumed" stablized.