Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 23-07-2006, 08:27 AM   #11
Aroboy II
AFC Member

I am using 2028 and my canister have four side clips. I would fasten 3 and let one loose. Once the water filled and slightly overflow, I will quickly shut the last clip and start the canister. So far so good except need to clean up the overflow water. Although my canister do have the prime but sometimes it doesnt work at all.
Aroboy II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #12
swkoh79

mine is the eheim ecco 2234, do not have the clips... so do not know how to use the overflow method.
Old 23-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #13
cheetf
Dragon

Did you give the tilting method a try?
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #14
swkoh79

Tried last night, worked a bit, but a thin layer of air is still inside.
Old 23-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #15
swkoh79

Does anyone with the same model of cannister experienced this problem before? Care to offer some advice?
Old 23-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #16
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkoh79
Does anyone with the same model of cannister experienced this problem before? Care to offer some advice?
How long have you been using the cannister? All the cannisters have some quantity of air trapped inside unless they have some sort of purging device like Fluva FX5 and the tiny Eden 501. To reduce it, the inlet hose must be completely filled with water. Open the all the valves on the cover. Filled the cannister to the brim and quickly put the cover on. Water will drip out at the side. Close the valves and install the hose. Open the valve and turn on the power. If you use a surface skimmer, it will come back again pretty fast.

There is another method but must perform some diy to the cannister. Please see the sketch. This is using the venturi concept which is adapted by eden 501 to purge the trapped air. When the filtered water rushes pass the elbow, it will pull in air or water from the other end of the air-hose and out together with the filtered water to the tank.
Please attached the air hose firmly and prevent it getting into the impeller!

Last edited by atom; 26-12-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 23-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #17
aqua doctor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkoh79
Tried last night, worked a bit, but a thin layer of air is still inside.
Sometimes the "o-ring" that secures the top won't seal just right the first time or two or three... in this instance i would look for any cracks if none then get some petrolium jelly and liberally lube the O-ring and re-install.
If this is not the case and you've "burped" your canister as described earlier look at the hose connections for leaks/kinks; still nothing?
Start to look at your "impeller" to see if it is functioning properly ie. impeller shaft has no cracks, magnet is free of dirt/hair....
If this still is not showing results than one "last ditch" method would be to turn your filter on and off a few times to see if your flow rate changes for the better. I know it sounds a little strange but when all else fails and i'm ready to buy a new pump it starts to operate properly GOOD LUCK!
Old 23-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #18
cheetf
Dragon

Agreed, sometimes air keep on appearing is because you have a small leak, in this case letting the air come in and not water leaking out.

Check your seals and connections again, sometimes you can hear the air going in if you move the hoses.
Old 23-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #19
swkoh79

I started with part of my outlet exposed outside the water, is this the cause? My cannister is only 1 week old.
Old 23-07-2006, 06:00 PM   #20
cheetf
Dragon

Outlet outside the water should be okay. Some people put the rainbar above the waterline anyway. I think the thing that started the problem was the inlet being exposed to air.

Sometimes what I do is also gently shake the cannister and hear the air coming out. That also helps reduce the amount of air trapped inside. If the amount of air inside increases then it is not normal if your system is completely sealed, meaning there is no way that air can come in (eg via a surface skimmer)