Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 26-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #1
fireopal

Default Nutrafin C02 system

hi..
bought the above mentioned set for my set up today..
understand thats its pretty easy to use and install..

any comments on the pdt?
Old 26-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
Barra21

not too bad design on the bottle. But have to change the contents every 2 weeks or so. oh yeah. try to use aged water with antichlorine/chloramine for the culture. It'll kick start the culture much faster.
Old 26-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
shawnchen89
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra21 View Post
not too bad design on the bottle. But have to change the contents every 2 weeks or so. oh yeah. try to use aged water with antichlorine/chloramine for the culture. It'll kick start the culture much faster.

two weeks?
that's a bit fast rite?
mine lasts abt a month leh.... and slightly warmer water will kickstart oso...
shawnchen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #4
fireopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnchen89 View Post
two weeks?
that's a bit fast rite?
mine lasts abt a month leh.... and slightly warmer water will kickstart oso...
hmm.
i think they write on the packaging that it lasts for 30 days approx..
anyway..
there doesnt seems to be any valve or anything to control flow of C02... hope it doesnt cause sudden explosion of C02~
Old 26-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
Barra21

ha bro. it really depends on ur mix of ur culture. percentages of yeast vs sugar.
I stated 2 weeks as i used to do DIY myself and dun want to overstate the duration the co2 (yeast culture) can last. some cultures can last from 15 days all the way up to more than 30 days. it really depends on the concentration. As the yeasts break down the sugars, byproducts like alcohol will be produced and this inturn will kill off the yeast. The growth has 4 stages. It starts with the Lag phase where the growth(co2 production is slow as the yeast are slowly acclimatising to the conditions), exponential growth phase (increasing co2 production) , plateau phase(peak of co2 production) and decline phase (yeasts start to die off and co2 rate goes down slowly) . so on packaging it states 30 days, yes but might not be optimum production already.
Hope this helps
Old 26-03-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
fattyfish

Talking

you bought this? hahaha

I bought the set because i n00b. but remember dont need to buy the refill packs (~$9). Just use this formula given to me by a fellow arofanatic bro...

3-4 tablespoon of sugar,
1/2-3/4 teaspoon of yeast,
1 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate

Essentially those are the exact same ingredients in those packets saves you a lot of money.

Currently my little bottle is good for a month.

Just me 2 cents worth, cheers!
Old 27-03-2007, 12:00 AM   #7
Barra21

Anyway, what does the sodium bicarb do? I only used yeast and sugar. ha. And i use more sugar and less yeast. i feel it'll help the culture start slowly and not have a massive co2 explosion. haha.
Old 27-03-2007, 12:19 AM   #8
fireopal

Quote:
Anyway, what does the sodium bicarb do? I only used yeast and sugar. ha. And i use more sugar and less yeast. i feel it'll help the culture start slowly and not have a massive co2 explosion. haha.
hmm..i think sodium bicarb acts as a buffer?
Old 27-03-2007, 12:24 AM   #9
Salphur

Quote:
Hi,
the sodium bicarbonate stabilises the CO2 mixture and lengthens the period of CO2 production. That means the more sodium bicarbonate added.. the slower the C02 production and it lasts for a longer while ( but no point, as C02 production will be slow and plants can't get enough -> algae problems). This is also dependent on the amount of sugar and yeast added as well.

Cheers!
Old 27-03-2007, 12:31 AM   #10
fireopal

oic..
thanks for sharing..
so once no more bubbles coming up..
its time to change the contents of the canister?