Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 10-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #31
arorules

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC View Post
any pix of the Sakai koi, wat's so special abt this type of koi?
sakai is a very famous farm in Japan which rbeeds the top quality kois and won many competitions. so the bloodline is very good. thats why such koi commands a higher price tag
Old 10-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #32
aroflim

Quote:
Originally Posted by arorules View Post
sakai is a very famous farm in Japan which rbeeds the top quality kois and won many competitions. so the bloodline is very good. thats why such koi commands a higher price tag
You are keeping Koi instead of guppy now?
Old 10-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #33
arorules

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroflim View Post
You are keeping Koi instead of guppy now?

nope. i kept koi before i even started keeping guppies because i have a pond. but my dad does e koi keeping. i stop keeping guppies already due to time constraint. just have a tank of endler for fun only.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #34
Showa

Quote:
any pix of the Sakai koi, wat's so special abt this type of koi?
just go google image and search sakai koi sakai is considered one of the best nishikigoi breeders out there mainly dealing in Gosanke.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #35
TRIX
Senior Dragon

Quote:
wanna learn more abt koi, start to fall in love with the fish

how many type of kinds?
how to see gd & bad, expensive & cheap?
can keep them in fgt instead in pond? wat's the pron & con?
where to buy those smaller ones, i always go nippon koi, i guess not all farm would sell smaller pc.

hope to get some advises fr bros here.

cheers
Wahaha..bro, from plecos to kois, you really very giant..you have my contact, call me when you happen to lunch at my place
TRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #36
aroflim

Quote:
wanna learn more abt koi, start to fall in love with the fish

how many type of kinds?
how to see gd & bad, expensive & cheap?
can keep them in fgt instead in pond? wat's the pron & con?
where to buy those smaller ones, i always go nippon koi, i guess not all farm would sell smaller pc.

hope to get some advises fr bros here.

cheers
First, familiarize yourself with the main types of Kois. Just Google to find out. Then go visit koi farms to decide what you like.

Next, know your limits and constraints. Don't aim for growing large Kois if your pond is small or if you intend to keep them in fibreglass tank. You will waste your money paying a lot for jumbo bloodline only to get disappointed when they fail to reach your goal due to environment constraint.

Don't try to collect all the different types of kois. Focus on no more than 3 types. The big three are Kohaku (white base with red markings) Sange (White base with large red pattern and small black markings and Showa (basically black base with large red and white pattern). Start with these three, you won't go wrong.

Needless to say, water is most important. A well managed filtration system decide how well your kois will turn out.

Nippon Koi farm has lots of small kois. Talk to the boss Ah Seng, learn from him.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #37
DMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIX View Post
Wahaha..bro, from plecos to kois, you really very giant..you have my contact, call me when you happen to lunch at my place
i always like to keep giant fishesonly if i have a pond
Old 30-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #38
monsterplaco

well i hope this tip on breeding helps
When ever the rainy season comes i will turn off the fountain in the koi pond and let algae grow and by the time the season is over there would be baby koi's and i think that the baby's are light sensitive so make sure that you have sufficient floating plants for them
Old 30-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #39
Jay1970

I just started keeping koi. Literally started this week. already bought about 15 small to medium koi till yesterday. Today, after reading about koi here, I made my way to Nippon Koi Farm today and came home a very happy guy... brought home 8 small koi. The guy (Steve) who served me was very helpful. Got 4 black and white ones, 2 tricolor ones, 1 silver and 1 green. I am dying to get one of the orange and white one but have to wait till end of next month cause the tag on it was about $250... maybe will get myself a x-mas gift.
Old 30-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #40
Showa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1970 View Post
I just started keeping koi. Literally started this week. already bought about 15 small to medium koi till yesterday. Today, after reading about koi here, I made my way to Nippon Koi Farm today and came home a very happy guy... brought home 8 small koi. The guy (Steve) who served me was very helpful. Got 4 black and white ones, 2 tricolor ones, 1 silver and 1 green. I am dying to get one of the orange and white one but have to wait till end of next month cause the tag on it was about $250... maybe will get myself a x-mas gift.
I guess the red and white one with a $250 price tag is the new batch of kois from japan Maruyama Koi Farm.. All good quality kois!