Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 30-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #11
bingkla

read on the web its 1 pound to 100gallons of water.
Old 30-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
mediacraze
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBoLxxg View Post
Again the same question, what is the purpose of adding salt to it? Can someone elaborate.
For prevention of dieases
mediacraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #13
bingkla

interesting article on salt...

Question: We have a koi and goldfish pond with a few plants in it. We have heard that we should add salt to the pond, but we are unclear about how much is OK, how much is too much, what it does and whether it will hurt the plants.
Answer: Let's cover the reason why first. The fish's body is saltier than the water in the pond. So, water wants to even out the two different salt levels to one average level. The fish have to expend calories to keep salt in and water out of their body.
They have a slime coat, scales, gills, kidneys and skin all trying to keep the water out, but they are constantly breathing and swallowing water in. This energy could be used for growth, immune system work, etc., if the water were saltier.
If you see a fish that is inflated like a balloon and the scales are all sticking out at right angles from the body, you see a fish that is drowning. It may have any number of diseases or other problems, but by the time you see the scales sticking out, it has kidney or gill failure and it cannot get rid of the water buildup in the body.
In a typical goldfish pond, 1 pound of salt per 100 gallons of water will benefit the fish without harming anything else.
Ten pounds of salt per 100 gallons of water is used as a dip for a few minutes at a time. Koi and goldfish are very tolerant of salt. I once did the wrong math and had 10 times the salt in a salt dip tank and the fish immediately keeled over in the water and could not maintain their balance. I pulled them out after 10 to 30 seconds and placed them in unsalted water and they showed no ill effects.
Raising the salt level in the pond to 3 pounds per 100 gallons over a week or so will potentially get rid of many parasite problems. This practice is often recommended first thing in the spring or when new fish are in quarantine before adding them to the pond.
Keep the salt level at 3 pounds for about three weeks and then slowly decrease it back down to 1 pound or to zero. In a pond with a functioning biological filter, there may be a dip in the population level of the bacteria if the salt is increased too fast. During those few days, the ammonia or nitrite level could spike up to dangerous levels. If you overdose the salt, just remember the old adage: The solution to pollution is dilution.
Most water-garden plants and other animals like frogs, snails and such will not be harmed at all by the 1-pound rate. The 3-pound rate will slow the growth of some plants and may kill some plants that float in the water, but it is not a good algae control method.
The best salt to use is kosher or pickling salt. It must not have any anti-caking ingredients like yellow prussiate of soda that are toxic to fish. Solar and water softener salts are not the best to use.
E-mail questions to Jeff Rugg at jrugg@uiuc.edu
Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #14
scorpio88
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingkla View Post
Hi bros, i have never added this to my pond. Do I need to do this and is it the marine salts type or....many thanks
hi bro,

best to add 0.1% salt to prevent any diseases.
if severe cases, add to 0.3% to 0.5%.
scorpio88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #15
twerked

its good to invest in a salt meter to provide an accurate reading and as to when u should add salt into your pond. there are different views and opinions as to whether there is a need to add salt if everything's okay. it depends on each individual. but for me i chose to maintain it at 0.1%.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
ahpek_lion
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingkla View Post
being indian that will be quite hard ! haha, u mean those in transparent packets that I see....
tell them u want coarse salt....it is those crystallized version

for me i agar agar add 3/4 spoon of salt (those plastic spoon used when u packet chicken rice) per 10liter

Last edited by ahpek_lion; 11-05-2011 at 05:34 PM.
ahpek_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
tangmulong4488
Dragon

no need salt if nothing is wrong...
tangmulong4488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #18
koijunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangmulong4488 View Post
no need salt if nothing is wrong...
It is recommended to have small amount of salt for koi pond even if they are healthy.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #19
kutekoi
Arofanatic

For me, I also agar-agar add around half spoon of salt per 10L of water change.

Read somewhere adding salt helps to facilitate oxygen absorption in the gills of kois. Not sure if any sifus can verify this?
kutekoi is offline   Reply With Quote