Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 19-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #101
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Bro Vellius, really interesting stuff there. How far below the surface of the water is the mesh hanging at? Will the agitation of the water cause some of the eggs to roll out, or do they stick well to the surface?
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #102
Velius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Bro Vellius, really interesting stuff there. How far below the surface of the water is the mesh hanging at? Will the agitation of the water cause some of the eggs to roll out, or do they stick well to the surface?
It depends on the plant mass on the mesh. For a small blotch of moss(1st pic), it sinks less than .5 cm underwater, just enough to keep the cory eggs submerged. And when the moss fills the entire mesh, it sinks ~1 cm underwater. I think you want to keep the mesh piece small. I use it on a 2x2" piece. For my 4x2" piece with fissidens which you can barely spot in my pics, it sinks over 1" underwater.

I use the standard 7 hpi (holes per inch) mesh which is just big enough to keep standard cory eggs from dropping out. For smaller cory eggs such as pygmy, using 14 hpi mesh should work, but by putting the eggs on the moss, it prevents the eggs from falling off just as well.

I've never witnessed any eggs being dropped from the agitation on the water surface. The only time I dropped an egg was when I tried taking an unfertilized egg off and tilted the mesh piece by accident.

It's like putting something on a raft in a lake. It won't capsize unless a strong flow hits the top or bottom.
Old 25-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #103
TwistedPair

very interesting bro Velius!

If i can upz you. i up already but i not rep points =( hahaha

i've actually bought a breeder tank haha. should have read ur post first!
Old 28-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #104
Velius

Don't worry about it bro, the standard way works perfectly well too. Hope everything works out for you.