Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 25-08-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
JosephIgnatius

Question what cause Ph lvl to go up or down ?

how isit possible of water with ph of 7+ to either drop or went up ? do fish waste bring the Ph up or down ? im really comfuse about this Ph thing n how can i maintian at the right Ph level...
Old 25-08-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
nefish
Dragon

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...=333129&page=5 You can read from this link. Coral chips do helps to buffer PH.
nefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 03:44 AM   #3
KeeHuat
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephIgnatius View Post
how isit possible of water with ph of 7+ to either drop or went up ? do fish waste bring the Ph up or down ? im really comfuse about this Ph thing n how can i maintian at the right Ph level...
All waste, uneaten food, decaying plants, dead guppies will make the PH drop. When the guppies start dying, it will be a vicious drop as the remaining guppies will be poisoned and then die, and this will affect the rest and so on. I have ever lost about 100+ adult guppies in a tank many years ago when I wasn't aware of the dangers of overfeeding and overstocking. Then I was removing the dead guppies, changing the water. After a while, more would die and I would repeat the same thing again and again. In the end, I only had about 10 guppies that survived. I tried using all the PH up and PH down solutions but it didn't helped. Learnt a really big lession then.
KeeHuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
JosephIgnatius

hi bro nefish, by coral chips you mean those sea shell that can be found on the beach ?
Old 25-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
cartoon
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephIgnatius View Post
hi bro nefish, by coral chips you mean those sea shell that can be found on the beach ?
coral chips looks like white stone. u can ask at any lfs, i think they should have. they comes in diff. size. n packets no need to buy too big a pkt as a small packet will b sufficient 4 a 2ft tank.
cartoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
JosephIgnatius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeHuat View Post
All waste, uneaten food, decaying plants, dead guppies will make the PH drop. When the guppies start dying, it will be a vicious drop as the remaining guppies will be poisoned and then die, and this will affect the rest and so on. I have ever lost about 100+ adult guppies in a tank many years ago when I wasn't aware of the dangers of overfeeding and overstocking. Then I was removing the dead guppies, changing the water. After a while, more would die and I would repeat the same thing again and again. In the end, I only had about 10 guppies that survived. I tried using all the PH up and PH down solutions but it didn't helped. Learnt a really big lession then.
OMG... sad for you lost bro keehuat ... i think i know whats happpening to my tank already... i have a area in the tank which is thickly plated, when fish die in there most of the time i dint notice, until i saw floting ones. n when i start to dig through those plant then i notice those rotten away fishes. BTW is there any cure for the rest of the still sirviving fishes ???
Old 25-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #7
JosephIgnatius

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoon View Post
coral chips looks like white stone. u can ask at any lfs, i think they should have. they comes in diff. size. n packets no need to buy too big a pkt as a small packet will b sufficient 4 a 2ft tank.
lolz ... oic ... thks bro cartoon for the notice . i always though the always mention coral chips was those sea shell from the beach ... my bad my bad ... hahaa
Old 26-08-2008, 01:43 AM   #8
nefish
Dragon

Quote:
BTW is there any cure for the rest of the still sirviving fishes ???
You got to do more regular water change. Make sure the perimeter r correct. PH,NH,KH,...etc

sea shells can be bought at LFS too, seen ppl using. Not try yet, not safe to use those at the beach.
nefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
exotic_idiot
Dragon

Didn't know we got to use coral shells for guppies? Care to care more anyone using it for the moment? I only know there's people using it for Tanganyikan Cichlids to increase the water PH level.
exotic_idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 12:53 AM   #10
cartoon
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
Didn't know we got to use coral shells for guppies? Care to care more anyone using it for the moment? I only know there's people using it for Tanganyikan Cichlids to increase the water PH level.
For me, i need to maintain my ph above ph7 for my so call platinium gold albino through learning (abt 5-6 pairs sacrified). i think not all guppy need coral chips, itz all depend. actually it would't increase the ph, it buffer the ph.
cartoon is offline   Reply With Quote