Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 03-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #61
alvloh

My Glosso starting to start a little but some are still going sky high.

Dunno what's this called but some have grown slightly too long for my pleasure...think time to trim some off...

My full tank view after about 2 weeks of planting....

So-far so good....have done some triming for plants that have grown too tall...
Old 03-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #62
alvloh

Glosso should be this pic....pai say....
Old 03-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #63
alvloh

Just to share.

I went to this shop Boon Keng to collect the chiller from Bro Eddie.
The shop is full of plants and are very very beautiful....very green and bright.

The owner "Ah Tan" or Mr Tan is very friendly and taught me alot tips of growing water plant. If got time can go down to have a look and u will sure be amazed by this two 6 feet tank. The plants are very nice but dun come cheap...
Old 04-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #64
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvloh View Post
Just to share.
The shop is full of plants and are very very beautiful....very green and bright.

The owner "Ah Tan" or Mr Tan is very friendly and taught me alot tips of growing water plant. If got time can go down to have a look and u will sure be amazed by this two 6 feet tank. The plants are very nice but dun come cheap...
alvloh, your tank is coming along really nicely! The growth you showed in the pics look promising.

The shop you are referring to is commonly known as "Bioplast" and they have very nice displays and plants indeed!
Alvin Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #65
pinkponk

bro I must say that u are a very brave man, haha I wouldn't have the courage to start my first planted tank on a 6 ft.

I started my first ever planted tank (only 2 ft) 4 mths ago, and planting glosso was a very painful process! I also find it a challenge to keep the glosso short and close to the soil, always have some growing long and ugly. I just rescaped my tank today and replaced my glosso with dwarfed hairgrass.

Anyway your boldness and effort is inspiring, thanks for sharing and keeping us updated! (Meanwhile I'll also work hard on my two tiny 2 ft tanks)
Old 04-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #66
alvloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Koh View Post
alvloh, your tank is coming along really nicely! The growth you showed in the pics look promising.

The shop you are referring to is commonly known as "Bioplast" and they have very nice displays and plants indeed!
Thanks for the encouragement.....
I was inspired by the plants done yup by Tan....next project want to do up a "tree" to put on the right side of my tank... Hope it will work out....
Old 04-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #67
alvloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Koh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkponk View Post
bro I must say that u are a very brave man, haha I wouldn't have the courage to start my first planted tank on a 6 ft.

I started my first ever planted tank (only 2 ft) 4 mths ago, and planting glosso was a very painful process! I also find it a challenge to keep the glosso short and close to the soil, always have some growing long and ugly. I just rescaped my tank today and replaced my glosso with dwarfed hairgrass.

Anyway your boldness and effort is inspiring, thanks for sharing and keeping us updated! (Meanwhile I'll also work hard on my two tiny 2 ft tanks)
Thanks....actually was tempted by my friend's tank during CNY visit ... And my OC agreed.....

Actually I was told smaller tank are harder to maintain....
Share your tanks photo too......It's always nice to see others tank and steal some ideas for scaping....
Old 05-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #68
Heuer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvloh View Post
Just to share.

Ah Tan has one of the best display tanks among all the LFS in SG. Very knowledgable guy. I started planted tank is because i walk past his shop 10 yrs ago.......and was mesmerised by his riccia.....

bought my first tank and chiller from him.

Bro Alvloh, just curious how you disperse the CO2 in such a big tank?
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #69
alvloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
Ah Tan has one of the best display tanks among all the LFS in SG. Very knowledgable guy. I started planted tank is because i walk past his shop 10 yrs ago.......and was mesmerised by his riccia.....

bought my first tank and chiller from him.

Bro Alvloh, just curious how you disperse the CO2 in such a big tank?
Ah Tan had his own custom made canister...diffuser...etc. The external temp is also done by him...very impressive.

As for the CO2, I'm using a diffuser that is connected canister outflow.... I've noticed the CO2 does float to the end of the tank. Thus my glosso is able to generate O2 bubbles...
Old 05-03-2011, 02:35 AM   #70
Sunday
Dragon

I find it odd that you used sand as a base under the the soil. If you wanted the height a bit higher, you could've used organic soil. Those used in gardens are perfectly fine and there are many benefits of using it as an "undercoat" but you must make sure they contain to fertilizers and are purely organic lest you get a lot of dead fishes!

And also, might i suggest next time you put in some soil around the 4 edges of the tank first, then put the sand in the center then cover everything up with the remaining soil so you won't get the weird edges in the front of the tank where you can see both the soil and the sand beneath it. This is a planted tank afterall so you'll want it as beautiful as possible. It's a really beautiful tank and the set up is lovely although i'm with you on the height of the stand. That must be the Michael Jordan of all stands! Would love to see more updates on a fully grown and flourishing tank!

Here's what i was talking about regarding the edges. Look at step 6. This link is for using mineralized soil whereas what i was talking about is just purely organic potting soil as an "undercoat", two different things. Courtesy of aquaticplantcentral.com

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...on-talbot.html
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote