Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 26-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
TwistedPair

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezhengxi View Post
your overhead filter is bought from the lfs ?
lee! i see ur interest in the overhead filter! u want to buy? HAHAHA
Old 30-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
Bro how about rethink the option of using a canister? Much better for the planted tank. Easier to hide the pipes inside the tank. Plus you can put one more light if you need. Also less surface agitation and therefore less CO2 wastage.

Anyway with this set up, how do you plan to hide the pump?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
I see your reason for using this set up but this kind of set up not really used in planted tanks. More for keeping big fish. If you really want to you can sell it off mah.

As for the problems, the thing I can see is rotting plants clogging up the pump and also the unnecessary heat if any from the pump.

This is because the water returns to the tank from the top like water fall right?. This will like 'stir in the needed oxygen and remove the CO2' therefore the amount of CO2 that you have to use to achieve the same effect on the plants might be more.
Bro TP, I agree with bro cheetf here. Don't underestimate the amount of heat that can be generated by an internal pump. Especially for smaller tanks. And I have personally experienced plants AND small fish dying and getting clogged in the pump inlet. Moreover, you are using CO2 setup. The OHF return will negate alot of your CO2. Chiller wise, I think depends on what you want to plant. I see you have filled up your tank to the brim. I think it would have been better to brim it up only after your major planting has been done. Easier to plant in low water level rather than full height, esp if you are planting those carpet plants that have to plant individually into the soil. My 2c worth, bro! Thanks for sharing your setup! Pleas update us when you start the planting process. Happy planting!
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
TwistedPair

[QUOTE=Jon-san;8575049]Bro TP, I agree with bro cheetf here. Don't underestimate the amount of heat that can be generated by an internal pump. Especially for smaller tanks. .................QUOTE]

bro.. i think i have suffered due to my inexperience and my stubborness to heed the advice from u guys! i bought 50 tetras! now left with 35+ .. everyday a few tetras will die! *bang head*

now im trying to sell away this OHF filter so as to get money for a canister.. huhhh.. tragic! so no updates. quite a failure on my part..

also! the stupid waterfall tends to push my plants out of the substrate!! bang head again!!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #14
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

[QUOTE=TwistedPair;8596943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Bro TP, I agree with bro cheetf here. Don't underestimate the amount of heat that can be generated by an internal pump. Especially for smaller tanks. .................QUOTE]

bro.. i think i have suffered due to my inexperience and my stubborness to heed the advice from u guys! i bought 50 tetras! now left with 35+ .. everyday a few tetras will die! *bang head*

now im trying to sell away this OHF filter so as to get money for a canister.. huhhh.. tragic! so no updates. quite a failure on my part..

also! the stupid waterfall tends to push my plants out of the substrate!! bang head again!!!!
Bro, why not list your water parameters and stuff with some pics of your tank as well? Will be a lot easier to give targeted advise. The thing with buying tetras is that they tend to die easily when undergoing any transfer. Once they stabilise in the tank and the dying reduces or ends, the remainder more or less will be the lasting ones. Just have to ensure that your water parameters are good. As for the OHF, yea, I think a canister will be a better option, although I think you can still make do with a OHF. Your waterfall is caused by the return of your filtered water from the OHF? If yes, ever considered DIY-ing a suitably sized elbow or even rainbar to re-direct the water flow towards your tank glass or towards your tank center? Main thing is to re-direct the flow away from your tank base, which can stir up quite lot of unwanted particles and gases.

Hope this helps!
Old 15-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
TwistedPair

bro jon-san..

i'll be getting the canister sometime this weekend! will update again this weekend. anyway im also afraid of the heat that is causing my tetras to die. i actually thought of rotating the OHF ard. so that the waterfall hits directly to the side of the tank. however it still doesnt solve the problem of having the pump in the tank.

and i bought FISSIDENS! LOTS OF THEM! tie to bogwood. tie to stone! BAD move again.. the fissidens over time become loose and some already.......hai i dont even want to say it.

in any case i still very budget and not much $$.

PH is 6.6
Nitrate and Ammonia both at 0

Water Hardness and CO2 levels.. no money to buy the test kit - too ex.

but bubble counter is at 1bps but i turn it off at night.
oh and temp is frm 26 to 27degrees with two fans blowing 247 (sometimes put ice pack into the waterfall area) just my lil way to sustain it before i get a chiller $$$$!

pictures..upload this weekend too. because im quite errr about my layout too...
Old 16-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #16
boxedfish
Dragon

go for a canister planted tank set up.. tried and proven by many...
boxedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #17
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedPair View Post
bro jon-san..

i'll be getting the canister sometime this weekend! will update again this weekend. anyway im also afraid of the heat that is causing my tetras to die. i actually thought of rotating the OHF ard. so that the waterfall hits directly to the side of the tank. however it still doesnt solve the problem of having the pump in the tank.

and i bought FISSIDENS! LOTS OF THEM! tie to bogwood. tie to stone! BAD move again.. the fissidens over time become loose and some already.......hai i dont even want to say it.

in any case i still very budget and not much $$.

PH is 6.6
Nitrate and Ammonia both at 0

Water Hardness and CO2 levels.. no money to buy the test kit - too ex.

but bubble counter is at 1bps but i turn it off at night.
oh and temp is frm 26 to 27degrees with two fans blowing 247 (sometimes put ice pack into the waterfall area) just my lil way to sustain it before i get a chiller $$$$!

pictures..upload this weekend too. because im quite errr about my layout too...
What did you tie your fissidens with? Sounds like they are quite loosely tied, unless you have yamatos in your tank? Yamatos destroyed my moss wall... Lol, that said, fishkeeping is alot about learning thru trial and error. What works for one may not work for another, since all tank parameters are never the same. What canister are you getting?
Old 16-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #18
TwistedPair

my fissidens were actually quite securedly tied. i went double cross on them. only some came out. majority are still on the bogwood. the waterfall/current actually caused some to come out. so ya.

the canister im looking at is either the ehiem 2213 or 2215. dont know if i got the model right.

any other cheaper reccomendations? because this two is the most talked about in the forum. i guess?
Old 16-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #19
Bettas4life

Quote:
my fissidens were actually quite securedly tied. i went double cross on them. only some came out. majority are still on the bogwood. the waterfall/current actually caused some to come out. so ya.

the canister im looking at is either the ehiem 2213 or 2215. dont know if i got the model right.

any other cheaper reccomendations? because this two is the most talked about in the forum. i guess?
you gotta choose the one with better flowrate bro. 2213 in 3ft tank is very weak imo. Even when i was using in a 1ft cube, it slowed down after a while
Old 17-08-2011, 01:11 AM   #20
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas4life View Post
you gotta choose the one with better flowrate bro. 2213 in 3ft tank is very weak imo. Even when i was using in a 1ft cube, it slowed down after a while
Quote:

Agree with bro Bettas4life here. Am currently using the 2213 on my 1.5ft and I find it just nice. Personally I woud go for the 2217 for a 3ft. After filling up with medias, flowrate should be just about right. If too strong still can adjust by increasing number of holes on the return rainbar, or by increasing the size of the rainbar holes. Cheaper alternatives I won't be able to recommend since I've only used Eheim and Hagen.