Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Boo Kok Chuon

Default Noob tank set up

Hi bros,

All the while have been into freshwater, but I'm new to marine. Did a basic set up with the following:

1) tank size 2ft x 1.5ft
2) pump and filtration system
3) live rocks
4) 8 pcs assorted damsel, 2 small, 4 mid, 2 big
5) 2 anemone fishes
6) numerous sea snails,
7) a handful of hermit crabs
8) a sponge-like (or coral?) organism (need id for this)

Most livestocks are harvested from a rocky bay in Malaysia (my home and the location of this tank is in JB), so far the maintenance I'm doing is only testing the salinity once every week and adjusting it using aged water.

Need advise from expert bros here on whether what I've been doing is adequate and what should be done.

Also, help me id this animal:
Old 14-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
KaLiB

The organism looks like a sea sponge but I don't know the exact type.

Just some pointers here to help you along:
1) I would advise doing regular water changes like 20% weekly as the bioload is very high for a tank of this size.

2) I would also advise either changing the filtration system(like a canister filter) or to reduce the splashing at the filter outlet(like adding a hose to the outlet to help direct water into the tank). The reason for this is that the splashing caused by the outlet of the overhead filter will result in salt spray. You would find salt crystals forming outside the tank and even on the wall. It can cause damage to electrical devices or any metal objects nearby.

3) Aesthetics wise, you can look into re-arranging the rockwork to form caves instead of just a pile of rocks. It would also be interesting to see your fish swim in and out of the caves.

4) I would also advise adding a powerhead/wavemaker into the tank to help in circulating the water. It would help aerate the water when the water flow is directed along the surface of the water.
Old 25-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
AJbaby

bro, invest in a better tank, better filtration system (sump would be good if no budget) and most important try to choose bigger live rocks than those tiny small pieces for easy and nicer scaping.
Old 25-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
AJbaby

just to add, skimmer is a must for marine reefing
Old 26-10-2011, 01:36 AM   #5
reefer88

A freshwater filteration is not suitable for a marine tank.