Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 22-11-2008, 01:52 AM   #1
ThoughTs

Default did something stupid, shrimps dying [PESTICIDE FROM NEW PLANT]

Really a bad day, in the middle of my exams, as I have finished one of my "hell" module, decided to go LFS relax buy some stuff before continue studying

bought some plants, introduced into the tank, go to the washroom and come back, my shrimps like very excited swimming around, especially the shrimplets, so many of them which i usually dont see as they r hiding..

then I realised the are swimming weirdly, more like twitching and then motionless and let the current carry them.. and I realised disaster!!! snail poison??

did a 50% WC, they still twitching and dying one by one, really a very very heart breaking sight.. gotta wait till tomorrow to see the full damage my stupidity had caused me..

and to think its the middle of my exams.. i really feel vv distressed now.. my studying desk is directly next to my tank..

but well.. hope some bros will be able to benefit and learn from my painful mistake..
Old 22-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
dennal

sad to hear that ... next time better wash b4 put any new plant in ur tank.. dun think to much. shrimp die can buy more.. study hard fail exam need to retake and gpa drop this is worst than shrimp die...
Old 22-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
Patrique

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennal View Post
sad to hear that ... next time better wash b4 put any new plant in ur tank.. dun think to much. shrimp die can buy more.. study hard fail exam need to retake and gpa drop this is worst than shrimp die...
agree.. u can always start your setup again, not as costly as being distracted during your exam period... prioritize bro! all the best for your exams and your shrimp tank!
Old 22-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
ghim

Dont get too worried with your shrimps for now. Study well and you will be rewarded in future
Old 22-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
chocolate
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghim View Post
Dont get too worried with your shrimps for now. Study well and you will be rewarded in future
agreed....good results will determine u to get more shrimps in future
chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
Leong68
Endangered Dragon

sad to hear that, bro
Leong68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
silane
Senior Dragon

soak a few days may also have problem, it depends on how concentrate the pesticide was and how much you can get rid of them.

since we cannot quantify how much or none pesticide the plant has in the first place, we better soak them as long as possible, or else you may spent even longer time to fix your tank.

Add activate carbon into your filter and add Old Sea Mud powder into your tank to remove residual toxic. But these will not beat water changes, but if you change too much water and too sudeen, further damage can cause to your shrimps.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
soak a few days may also have problem, it depends on how concentrate the pesticide was and how much you can get rid of them.

Add activate carbon into your filter and add Old Sea Mud powder into your tank to remove residual toxic.
Bro, in that case, would it be advisible to drain the water used for new plants, and add in carbon and old sea mud powder?

From this incident, it also set me wondering, dw and rocks sold at lfs are potentially at higher risk since most of them are left along the corridor of lfs, which exposed them to more hazzards.

For large dw, how would you suggest cleaning it of parasite and potential foreign toxins? Large dw are not easy to soak in hot water like small dw.

One man's lost is many others gain. With this topic, it set many of us thinking harder and reducing risk of such innocent mistakes.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Bro, in that case, would it be advisible to drain the water used for new plants, and add in carbon and old sea mud powder?

From this incident, it also set me wondering, dw and rocks sold at lfs are potentially at higher risk since most of them are left along the corridor of lfs, which exposed them to more hazzards.

For large dw, how would you suggest cleaning it of parasite and potential foreign toxins? Large dw are not easy to soak in hot water like small dw.

One man's lost is many others gain. With this topic, it set many of us thinking harder and reducing risk of such innocent mistakes.
Those dw and rock has less risk then plants that are intentionally soak with pesticide, unless health agency has done fumigation in the vincity where the dw and rock are placed.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
globalcookie
Dragon

I was just thinking, since the dw and rocks are left outside, it is exposed to many possible polution, including pesticides, dirt from e ground, etc. Good thing I don't have to get any plants, dw or rocks for now.

From this topic, I realised the simple soaking and draining may not be sufficient. Have been lucky so far, but won't take risk when I set up a big tank next time.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote