Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 27-01-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
Spakase

Default Beginner's Reference - New Tank Syndrome

For someone new to fishkeeping, or wish to learn more how to set up an aquarium safely, here is a reference guide on the Nitrogen Cycle which is very comprehensive.

For a tank to be fully cycled with ammonia and nitrite totally absent from the tank (zero), it would take 40 days.
After 30 days, nitrite will be falling, hence one month to one and half month is the normal time for a complete tank cycling.

The tank cycling time can be reduced by the mixing of old filter material in the new filter. The addition of beneficial bacteria can also help speed up the cycling process.

Nevertheless, when starting a new tank, it is advisable to monitor ammonia, nitrite and ph very closely and ensure that your fishes are not exposed to toxic levels of ammonia and/or nitrite.

Do pose any questions if you are in doubt or need clarification on any of the points.

Last edited by Spakase; 27-01-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 27-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
ranmaru1987
Dragon

hi.. i would like to add on some remedies if there are already fishes in the tank and there is an ammonia or nitrite spike..

Ammonia spike remedy
- Lower tank pH. This may be the best and most effective remedy as ammonia is not deadly at low pH levels. But do take note to lower it slowly. Try not to lower by more than 0.3 a day.
- Lower tank temperature. Like pH, ammonia is less deadly at lower temperatures.
- Do a water change to dilute the amount of ammonia in tank. Preferably not more than 30% as too much may be dangerous. Remember to add anti chlorine if not chlorine will kill any BB in the tank and whole cycle will restart.
- If ammonia rises to too high and dangerous levels, add amquel. I recommend this product as it does not remove ammonia but instead converts it into non toxic for, thus allowing cycling process to continue.
- Reduce feeding

Nitrite spike remedy
- Do a water change to dilute the amount of nitrite in tank. Preferably not more than 30% as too much may be dangerous. Remember to add anti chlorine if not chlorine will kill any BB in the tank and whole cycle will restart.
- Reduce feeding.
- Add salt to 0.3%. The chloride in salt(sodium chloride) reduces the toxicity of nitrite to fishes.
- Increase aeration.

Always test your water regularly during cycling process. This way u can catch anything that goes wrong and remedy it before it becomes a disaster. If u have fishes in the tank and it is undergoing cycling, feed sparingly, do more frequent wc, do not introduce any more fishes till tank is fully cycled. If tank is fully cycled, introduce fishes slowly instead of dumping them all in at once.
ranmaru1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Spakase

Here's a thread on ammonia and it's toxic range.
Old 15-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
angelo
Senior Dragon

My suggestion.

- Do not perform water change during tank cycling. With water change, longer cycling duration.
- To reduce the toxicity of nitrite to livestocks during tank cycling and not to slow down the BB growth and multiplying rate. Add ~0.1% salt is more than enough.

Why 0.3%?
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
bench

do the 40days and 30 days rule apply to all sizes of tank? i got a 850 litres tank, with commercial BB, no wc, and small fishes to cycle, can i speed up the time needed?
Old 29-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
Spakase

The standard time to cycle a tank can be reduced. It is best to continue to measure ph, ammonia and nitrite throughout the cycle period just to ensure that it is complete.
Old 18-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
yeezermac

Thanks for the tips! Very helpful!
Old 12-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #8
findkenny

Default Diatoms

I got a newly set up planted tank. After a few days I noticed what appears to be diatoms bloom! any remedy?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
findkenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by findkenny View Post
I got a newly set up planted tank. After a few days I noticed what appears to be diatoms bloom! any remedy?
btw... i threw in some yamato shrimps. doesnt seem to work.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
hanks9800
Dragon

Hi sifu, today is the 5th day of my 6ft sump tank water cycling. I'm using Biozyme Formula 100 and there are 4 TFB in the tank. But there is still no nitrite buildup. Am I doing it correctly? Thanks.

PH - 7.18
Ammonia - 0.5 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm
hanks9800 is offline   Reply With Quote