Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
amiidae

redcross Tap water safe for your fish ? You know Chlorine but what abt Chloramine ?

Most of us will know what is Chlorine but what abt chloramine ?

From a US site

Frequent weekly or bi-weekly water changes are an important part of keeping a fish tank healthy and stable. Over time waste products accumulate. And when water is lost to evaporation, the minerals and waste products are left behind, increasing their concentration over time. Also, the nitrification process (The filter converting ammonia into nitrite into nitrate) will slowly decrease the water's buffering capacity. If the buffering capacity is depleted, the pH can crash very quickly. Water changes help remove the bad stuff, and help replenish the tank water's buffering capacity.

When adding tap water to a tank for water changes, several things should be done to make sure that you don't shock the fish. First of all, the temperature of the replacement water should be close the same temperature as the tank water. Second, and just as important: The water must be chemically safe for the fish.

If you get your tap water from a commercial water system, that water is treated to make sure it's safe for human consumption. The water is cleaned, and filtered. Then, chemicals are added to the water to prevent anything harmful from growing in the water while it's in the pipe leading to your home. Until recently, most water treatment facilities used Chlorine to kill off any organisms in the water. The small dose of chlorine is safe to drink, but many people notice the slight chlorine odor. One problem water treatment plants have with chlorine is that it's unstable, and easily dissipated from the water. This means that the treatment plants need to put in higher levels of chlorine, so that they can be sure that some will remain in the water when it reaches your home.

Recently, water systems have started treating tap water with chloramine instead of chlorine. Chloramine is a combination of chlorine and ammonia. It's much more stable than chlorine. It won't dissipate from the water as easily, and it isn't as likely to combine with other chemicals. But, chloramine isn't as good at killing off the microorganisms in the water as chlorine, so higher levels of chloramine are often used. Typically, water treatment plants use about 1 ppm of chloramine.

All this hard work and chemistry is important to keep people healthy. But, the same chemicals which keep people safe can be VERY toxic to fish. Adding tap water with chlorine or chloramine to a tank can kill off fish quickly. It can also kill off the bio-filter bacteria that keep your tank healthy and happy. So, this water must be made safe for the fish and tank. How do we do this?

Do a search on the Web

or read here to know more LINK

Old 09-11-2005, 11:28 PM   #2
amiidae

By the way, some of you might have observed that the recommended dosage of Nutrafin Aqua Plus to remove Chloramine is double as compared to the dosage used for chlorine.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
BettaFaNatiC
Senior Dragon

Yeap do take note about chloramine... use water conditioners that remove these so far over the years i use aqua plus, so far so good
Old 09-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
OKT's

i have used GENESIS, remove both and so far so good

Old 09-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #5
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiidae
By the way, some of you might have observed that the recommended dosage of Nutrafin Aqua Plus to remove Chloramine is double as compared to the dosage used for chlorine.
Now I ued aged water even though I have added Aqua Plus. So far so good.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #6
amiidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKT's
i have used GENESIS, remove both and so far so good
Ya, that brand do take care of chloramine.

what is the dosage like ? how many ml per L of water ?

Old 09-11-2005, 11:46 PM   #7
amiidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroboy II
Now I ued aged water even though I have added Aqua Plus. So far so good.
do you double the dosage ? and how long did you "aged" the "new" water ?

Old 09-11-2005, 11:48 PM   #8
OKT's

Quote:
Ya, that brand do take care of chloramine.

what is the dosage like ? how many ml per L of water ?
it was recommended by a friend. i find it very good. 1 gallan 1 drop.
it removes chlorine and choramine from tap water an helps fish form their protective coating. ideal both for fresh and saltwater fish. i also saw C328 auntie use it

Old 09-11-2005, 11:51 PM   #9
amiidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKT's
it was recommended by a friend. i find it very good. 1 gallan 1 drop.
it removes chlorine and choramine from tap water an helps fish form their protective coating. ideal both for fresh and saltwater fish. i also saw C328 auntie use it
1 drop per gal !! That's kind of concentrated formula.

How much does it cost per bottle ? and what's the volumn ?

Old 10-11-2005, 12:02 AM   #10
OKT's

Quote:
1 drop per gal !! That's kind of concentrated formula.

How much does it cost per bottle ? and what's the volumn ?
yes bro...this is what is states behind the bottle...and shake well before use

Closed Thread