Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Closed Thread

Old 23-02-2018, 04:17 AM   #11
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Paul Scholes makes surprising Liverpool admission

Paul Scholes, usually so blunt and bitter when it comes to Liverpool, has praised Jurgen Klopp’s side enormously.

The former Manchester United midfielder reckons we could win the Champions League because of our phenomenal attack, currently made up of Sadio Mane, Mo Salah and Roberto Firmino.

He’s also suggested United, or any other club, would rather avoid us in the quarters.

“They are so exciting going forward,” he told BT Sport, cited in the Mirror. “But defensively they still have a few problems and you worry about the goalkeeper.

“But you think they could out-score anybody – they have a great chance of winning it.

“The speed and power. You wouldn’t want to play them.”

Scholes’s comments come after Liverpool went to Porto and won 5-0, while United languished to a fortunate 0-0 draw against Sevilla in which they had David de Gea to thank – again.

If it weren’t for the Spanish stopper, they’d be a mid-table outfit!

If Liverpool had him in our ranks the past five years, we’d have won a Premier League title by now, as well.

Scholes is right to suggest that we need someone of this elite capability between the sticks to challenge consistently.

Either Loris Karius proves he can become this player or we aggressively enter the transfer market in the summer and secure someone who can.
Old 23-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #12
elimmel
Senior Dragon

The kit should’ve kept our lucky orange colour leh
Old 23-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #13
NI KI
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimmel View Post
The kit should’ve kept our lucky orange colour leh
for commercial purpose so no choice
Old 23-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #14
NI KI
Arofanatic

Sadio Mane's 🚀 against Porto has been shortlisted for the #UCL Goal of the Week award. 🙌

Vote now @ http://gotw.uefa.com/#/en/

Old 23-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #15
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Young stars join Melwood training after Liverpool beat Manchester United in Europe

Goalscorer Rafa Camacho and midfielder Curtis Jones were among the young players who joined Liverpool training at Mewlood today.

Portuguese youth international Camacho came off the bench at Prenton Park to score a superb second goal on Wednesday as Steven Gerrard's U19s overcame Nicky Butt's United team to take their place in the UEFA Youth League quarter finals.

Liverpool-born Jones has already seen his talents earn a step up to Neil Critchley's U23 team this year.

Piggy-backs looked to be the order of the day at Melwood with Trent Alexander-Arnold hitching a ride from Dom Solanke while Joel Matip tested out Andy Robertson's back.

Nathaniel Clyne continued his progress towards a comeback while Mohamed Salah was all smiles after his exploits around Liverpool earlier in the week.

Ragnar Klavan was also in action and it appears that Klopp's squad is approaching a full bill of health.

Fingers crossed of course!
Old 23-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #16
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Jurgen Klopp's free-scoring Liverpool on the cusp of an Anfield goals century

Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool are on the cusp of completing a memorable century at Anfield on Saturday.

If they find the net against West Ham United it will be their 100th goal of the season.

The visit of David Moyes’ side is the Reds’ 40th match of the campaign in all competitions.

Only twice in the club’s illustrious history have they reached that milestone in fewer games.

The record belongs to John McKenna’s class of 1895/96 who brought up a century inside 30 matches by sticking six past Burton Swifts en route to winning the Second Division title.

But in terms of top-flight football, the only Liverpool team to have got to 100 goals quicker than the current crop was Brendan Rodgers’ title challengers of 2013/14.

In a season without European football, it took the Luis Suarez-inspired Reds just 39 matches. They ended up scoring 110 goals in total.

Suarez’s potent double act with Daniel Sturridge contributed 52 out of Liverpool’s final Premier League tally of 101 which remains the club’s best ever top-flight haul.

With just 11 league matches remaining his term, Klopp’s men are unlikely to surpass that total as only 61 of their 99 goals so far have come in the Premier League.

However, if they maintain the blistering high standards of recent weeks right through until May then this could still be Liverpool’s most prolific campaign on record.

That honour currently belongs to Kenny Dalglish’s double winners of 1985/86 who netted 138 goals over a gruelling run of 63 matches.

Depending on their progress in the Champions League, Klopp’s side could have another 17 games to play.

Scoring another 40 is a big ask but if Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane stay fit and healthy then anything is possible.

Klopp’s lethal front three have 63 goals between them already this term.

Remarkably, in the seven matches since Liverpool sanctioned the sale of Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona, the Reds have scored 18 times.

So far the gamble of not replacing him has paid off, Liverpool have made light of the Brazilian's absence but it's still early days.

Now the challenge is to sustain it.

As well as chasing European glory, there's the small matter of cementing a top-four finish. There is little margin for error. With Manchester United facing Chelsea on Sunday, at least one of Liverpool's rivals will drop points this weekend and they need to cash in against West Ham.

The mood at Melwood is buoyant on the back of that ruthless thrashing of FC Porto.

The training camp in Marbella helped foster the kind of team spirit Klopp cherishes.

The fact that Liverpool had a 10-day break between matches remains a source of frustration as it was the result of a pitiful exit from the FA Cup at the hands of lowly West Brom.

But that can't be undone and Klopp has used the time wisely at a crucial stage of the season.

Rested and refreshed, it's back to business on Saturday. The bold approach won't change and the hope is that the Hammers will feel the full force of the Reds' dazzling firepower.
Old 24-02-2018, 02:23 AM   #17
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Roberto Firmino named Standard Chartered POTM for January

Roberto Firmino has today been announced as Liverpool's Standard Chartered Player of the Month for January.

The Brazil forward narrowly edged out Mohamed Salah to claim the first accolade of 2018 after scoring three goals in six appearances.

It’s the second time in his Reds career Firmino has won the award, having also scooped it for his performances in January 2016.

Upon being presented with the trophy at Melwood, he told Liverpoolfc.com: “I am very happy to receive this prize for being the Player of the Month and I hope to win more awards during this season. I am very happy for the fans voting for me.”

Firmino's three goals during January were all of breathtaking quality, with delicate chips against Manchester City and West Bromwich Albion being followed by a stunning piece of improvisation in the 3-0 victory at Huddersfield Town.

When asked which one he enjoyed most, the No.9 replied: “My favourite one was against Manchester City. Particularly because of the game that the team played, the whole performance that we achieved on that day to win the match.”

Salah, who has won the award four times already in 2017-18, finished just behind Firmino in the January poll, while Andy Robertson claimed third place.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Emre Can completed the top five.

Liverpool’s Standard Chartered Player of the Month awards 2017-18

August: Mohamed Salah
September: Mohamed Salah
October: Dejan Lovren
November: Mohamed Salah
December: Mohamed Salah
January: Roberto Firmino
Old 24-02-2018, 02:25 AM   #18
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Elijah Dixon-Bonner signs professional contract

Liverpool FC can confirm that Elijah Dixon-Bonner has signed his first professional contract with the club.

The 17-year-old, who has previously captained England at U16 level, initially joined the Reds' Academy from Arsenal in 2015.

Having subsequently risen through the ranks, he has featured prominently for Steven Gerrard's U18s team this term, catching the eye with a number of dynamic performances in central midfield.

On putting pen to paper at the club's Kirkby youth base today, Dixon-Bonner told Liverpoolfc.com: "It's a dream come true for me, really.

"You always dream of being a professional footballer when you're a kid so for it to finally come true is an amazing feeling.

"And [to do it] for the club that I've supported since I was born, it's a great feeling for me and my family."

Pressed on his aims for the future, Dixon-Bonner added: "I've already been working hard but I want to work even harder to get to the first team and show everyone what I can do on the big stage.

"I'm aiming to keep improving as a player, developing and hopefully I can turn into a very good player."
Old 24-02-2018, 02:27 AM   #19
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Klopp's update on LFC squad fitness latest ahead of West Ham

Jürgen Klopp expects to have the luxury of a fully fit squad to select from for Saturday’s Premier League clash with West Ham United at Anfield.

The boss reported no major concerns for Liverpool ahead of the contest with the Hammers as they get set to return to action 10 days on from their last outing.

Asked if there were any injury doubts during his pre-match press conference at Melwood, Klopp said: “Not really in this moment.

“Little things always; little stomach [problem] here and there, but should be OK. Nobody said today to me that they are still out, but we had one or two players with little issues. Stomach-wise, they should be OK, hopefully.

“[Nobody is a real doubt] in the moment, no.”
Old 24-02-2018, 02:32 AM   #20
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default 'They are ready' - Boss on Academy players training at Melwood

Jürgen Klopp’s confidence in the ability of Liverpool’s youngsters helped inform his decision to allow several members of the U23s squad leave the club on loan in January.

Harry Wilson, Ovie Ejaria and Ryan Kent were among the group of Reds to make temporary moves last month in order to gain regular first-team experience.

Those departures have provided a pathway for some of the club’s youth-team talent to step up and train with Klopp’s senior squad at Melwood on occasion, with 17-year-old duo Curtis Jones and Rafael Camacho the latest to do so on Thursday this week.

And Klopp has explained that prospects such as Jones and Camacho have the requisite quality to train alongside the club’s first-teamers.

“We gave the next generation pretty much on loan, with Ovie, Harry, Ryan. Maybe I forgot a few but they are now out there and they try to make the next step [and that] means there is the next generation who are still here,” the boss said on Friday.

“Yes of course I want to see them as often [as possible]. I knew obviously about Rafa before, I knew about Curtis before and a few others [such as] Liam Millar.

“Steven has a nice team together, Critch as well, so it’s good but for Critch it’s a little bit more difficult now because we pretty much gave half of his team on loan.

“It’s not too easy but it gives other players the opportunity to play. Conor Masterson is quite often with us, or was, so we know the boys and giving them the opportunity is always nice.

“If we did have injuries now - we don’t have too much in the moment - then we need them as well for a proper training session, but you only can use them if they are ready for that, if the level doesn’t drop when they are in. It’s not like this and it’s nice to see them.

“They are close and it’s good, good for all of us, and I’m very positive about that.”

Klopp went on to speak of his delight at watching the Reds’ U19s’ side defeat Manchester United in Wednesday’s UEFA Youth League last-16 tie.

“I loved the result of the U19s when I saw it was a quite difficult game against United,” he continued.

“They had their chances as well but football is still a results game and we won it so it’s good. I of course gave my compliments to Stevie. I like his desire, how he’s doing the job - it’s really cool and he has a good bunch of players together there, so that’s all in a good way.

“I’m happy about that of course but it was never in doubt. Like I said, we gave the boys on loan because we had the next generation here so now they can step up.”
Closed Thread