Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 10-10-2005, 12:54 AM   #11
bluezing

ok noted...

but to overkill by..er...7 times is abit...er....
Old 10-10-2005, 12:57 AM   #12
Little_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezing
thanks alot sherman... its been a long time since i saw u
told u before i will go into marine rite? hehehe...

thks monsterz for replying too...

how abt red sea brand for salt? good?

No no no. Dont buy Red Sea... I regretted buying it... Go for coral life, marine evironment or aquamedic sea salt... Much better.
But for price wise, go for coral life..
Old 10-10-2005, 01:00 AM   #13
KaLiB

Coralife is cheap and good, Redsea has a solubility problem.

There's always this little bit of salt left that refuses to dissolve whenever i use Redsea salt. So i have switched to using coralife too.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:05 AM   #14
Little_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
Coralife is cheap and good, Redsea has a solubility problem.

There's always this little bit of salt left that refuses to dissolve whenever i use Redsea salt. So i have switched to using coralife too.
Yah. faced the same prb... I found that it seem to affect my Po4 reading as well... Seems to increase by a bit. Dont know if mine's an isolated case.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:26 AM   #15
KaLiB

There's a possibility that the salt contains phosphates and nitrates. I am not surprised if there's small amounts of it present in the salt.

Anyone else who uses redsea salt can confirm this? I used to be a user of redsea salt but i have never done any tests on the water after mixing with salt so i can't comment on this.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:41 AM   #16
bluezing

wow! im glad i asked abt the brand of salt. and i thought it was kinda wierd question to ask initially..LOL.

coralife it shall be then!
Old 10-10-2005, 09:51 AM   #17
bluezing

few more question guys...

can i try sea fan? i love sea fan! adds that natural touch to the marine world.

how abt zoos? i love its luminous colour~

and how abt the lighting period? if mine is a fowlr tank,i dun have to on the light for long periods rite?

and we know that if the light is on for long periods, it will cause algae to grow. in planted tanks, there is the usage of co2 to counter this prob. how abt marine tanks?

hahaha...haven even start cycling and im already thinking of these ~
Old 10-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #18
KaLiB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezing
few more question guys...

can i try sea fan? i love sea fan! adds that natural touch to the marine world.
Though they look good, IMO don't try them yet. They are challenging to keep. Furthermore, they require feeding in order to be sustained.

Quote:
how abt zoos? i love its luminous colour~
Zoos are easy corals to keep, relatively hardy go for it so long as you have done your homework on them.

Quote:
and how abt the lighting period? if mine is a fowlr tank,i dun have to on the light for long periods rite?
Depending on the hobbyist, for FOWLR, lighting period isn't critical. You can lightup your tank for maybe 8hrs a day or less. Some FOWLR hobbyists over at Reefcentral.com don't even have a lighting period, they just on the lights when they wish to view the fish but this has drawbacks like coralline algae on the rocks all bleaching.

Quote:
and we know that if the light is on for long periods, it will cause algae to grow. in planted tanks, there is the usage of co2 to counter this prob. how abt marine tanks?
Algae in marine tank can be combated using both natural and aritifical means.
Here are some ways that comes to my mind at the moment:
1. Natural
- DSB/Plenum, controls nitrates
- Macroalgae refugium, exports nutrients via regular harvesting & competes with algae in the maintank for nutrients
- Livestock like astrea snail, lawnmower blenny, tangs, directly attack the algae problem by consuming algae
- Dense media like dense pieces of LR or biohome, encourages dentrification to control nitrates

2. Artificial
- RO/DI water, eliminates unwanted nutrients from tapwater
- Phosphate removal media, removes phosphates which is a fuel for nuisance algae growth
- Manual removal of algae, directly removes algae
- Protein skimmer, removes dissolved organics

Do more research on the possible methods i've mentioned and see what is your plan to tackle the algae problem(I believe each reefer will have his/her own plan to fight algae problems). Its good that your asking questions, this shows your trying to find out more which is good. The more you know, the more prepared you are and the less likely you will fail.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:31 PM   #19
bluezing

thanks alot kalib for the valuable info.

i am reading up at wetwebmedia.com too!

cant wait to start man!!! hehehe
Old 10-10-2005, 11:36 PM   #20
KaLiB

You can readup the articles and threads in reefcentral.com as well, there's a wealth of information there that will help you out.