Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 22-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #71
KaLiB

I can't tell what specie of brittle star you have from the picture but if it gets big, its better to remove it. It can prey on fishes if its those type that gets big. If its those that stay small, their generally just harmless scavengers and good for the tank.
Old 22-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #72
ethanleow
Dragon

haa dont worry, everyone makes mistake in setting up tank.. even me too.. sometimes break little things.
ethanleow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #73
Aces
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
I can't tell what specie of brittle star you have from the picture but if it gets big, its better to remove it. It can prey on fishes if its those type that gets big. If its those that stay small, their generally just harmless scavengers and good for the tank.
From searching around the internet, I guess those in the live rock are white banded brittle starfish. I'll definately removing it if it grows too big. But now it's seem harmless. don't see them now, not sure where they are hidden.. Saw 1 or 2 bristleworms too..

Now I just try to ignore the cycling tank as much as possible =p hopefully some coralline algae grow. Currently I on the light for around 2 to 3 hours per day. I bought the wrong test kit those type with the colored strips where u dip into the water.. i think i'll go grab the APL master kit soon.. the aquarium owner intro me the wrong one
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #74
Aces
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanleow View Post
haa dont worry, everyone makes mistake in setting up tank.. even me too.. sometimes break little things.
now the time to test my patience haha.. try to ignore the tank as much as possible.. I'm quite surprised the water is quite clear.. may consider to change the light just to keep some live coral in the future.
Old 22-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #75
allim
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces View Post
now the time to test my patience haha.. try to ignore the tank as much as possible.. I'm quite surprised the water is quite clear.. may consider to change the light just to keep some live coral in the future.
It will be good to read up on the requirements of different coral species before buying them. That will minimise the casuality rate of the corals and save yourself some money.

Things to take note will include:

1. Lighting requirements
2. Position in the tank (top, middle or bottom)
3. Water flow requirements (High, you may want to put it near the outlet of the pump or add another powerhead, low; put it near the bottom)
4. Feeding requirements (non-photosynthetic coral like sun corals need to be fed occassionally)
5. Compatibility of other livestocks like fish in the aquarium
allim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #76
Aces
Arofanatic

-.-; can't id the small crab on the live rock.. Too small and camo brown to take any pic.. Saw one that is 0.5cm.. Hopefully wun harm fishes..
Old 23-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #77
xersion
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces View Post
From searching around the internet, I guess those in the live rock are white banded brittle starfish. I'll definately removing it if it grows too big. But now it's seem harmless. don't see them now, not sure where they are hidden.. Saw 1 or 2 bristleworms too..

Now I just try to ignore the cycling tank as much as possible =p hopefully some coralline algae grow. Currently I on the light for around 2 to 3 hours per day. I bought the wrong test kit those type with the colored strips where u dip into the water.. i think i'll go grab the APL master kit soon.. the aquarium owner intro me the wrong one
got to disappoint you.. coralline algae will not grow at this moment...
xersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #78
Aces
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xersion View Post
got to disappoint you.. coralline algae will not grow at this moment...
Was worried that the crab might be a gorilla crab.. Need further monitor cince it too small to figure out
Old 23-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #79
Aces
Arofanatic

day 3 cycling process.. the starfishes went missing O,O; the 2 small crabs is still around and found a small snails in the glass.. water is clear never check water parameter since i'm rushing out to office.

Mind ask after the cycling process can i intro fishes in this order?

yellow tail blue damsel x 1
after 2 weeks
clownfish x 2

I read somewhere that blue damsel is quite aggressives against other fish but it's one of my fav.. Or should I just keep one damsel.. =s it's one of my fav marine fish.

I may try to take out the crabs at any opportunity since they look abit like gorilla crabs.. =.=;;
Old 23-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #80
ethanleow
Dragon

for such small tank, with damsel, no others. haha.. especially clowns. you can introduce clowns straight away, they are hardy fishes that can tahan slight nitrite too as long as your water parameters are fine..
ethanleow is offline   Reply With Quote