Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 24-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Samuel

Default driftwood lowering ph?

Hi all experts,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out? I read that drift wood lowers your PH. but i have had small drift wood in my tank for a month and my water PH is still 8, and it didn’t get any lower.

The seller in the fish store told me that I needed to remove the wood because drift wood maintains the PH level. Can any body help me out I need to lower my PH. also he told me the medication to lower PH doesn’t really work.
Old 26-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
khchan
Dragon

Try sera super peat
khchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Samuel

i search the google for the brand but is it a kind of soil?
Old 26-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
khchan
Dragon

Put them into a media bag and leave them inside your filter.
khchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Samuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by khchan View Post
Put them into a media bag and leave them inside your filter.
i am using ehem 2213, inside already have media in the plastic container.
Old 26-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
Royston
Dragon

Please do not just depend on diftwood to lower your ph as it is very unstable. Get peat or products that will give a stable ph e.g. Ada soil, sera super peat etc. Else try to play with the hardness of the water if you have alot of time & adjust the ph of the tank to your desire point with off the shelf liquid aquarium products.

You do not have to put them in the filter just have them in contact in a location with good water circulation (e.g outflow, inlet).

P.S. If you already have media in the filter can always swap it out, be more flexible & read up more online.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
aia414
Arofanatic

check if its the substrate that is causing the high ph, i kena once before due to it and ended up digging up everything and start all over using a different brand.
aia414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
Samuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston View Post
Please do not just depend on diftwood to lower your ph as it is very unstable. Get peat or products that will give a stable ph e.g. Ada soil, sera super peat etc. Else try to play with the hardness of the water if you have alot of time & adjust the ph of the tank to your desire point with off the shelf liquid aquarium products.

You do not have to put them in the filter just have them in contact in a location with good water circulation (e.g outflow, inlet).

P.S. If you already have media in the filter can always swap it out, be more flexible & read up more online.
placed a small diftwood with plants glued on it and currently using ada soil. i have a ph powder but i am not sure how do i use it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aia414 View Post
check if its the substrate that is causing the high ph, i kena once before due to it and ended up digging up everything and start all over using a different brand.
bro i am using ada soil
Old 29-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
canopy
Dragon

my 2 cents... you are missing a lower pH buffer. Probably peat will help to lower it. However, if your tank is newly setup, you dun have to worry as time goes by, the pH will eventually drop. Ketapan leaves is the cheapest method to lower pH. Best of all you need to practice more patience. Take out any CC or oyster shell for the time being to let the pH drop first.
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
chern
Arofanatic

hi guys, where has a good selection of DW? Im trying to look for those thicker more solid ones. TIA! pm me if have lobang!
chern is offline   Reply With Quote