Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography

Old 04-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Carcinogenic
Arofanatic

Default Carcinogenic's Tank

Thought I play a part and share my hobby here too....
So my friend gave me a 522, and I decided to paint it baby blue, you'll see the effect in the vid link.
Point was to get an Aro, which I did, and make him the centre of focus. He really is now because he jumped on day 1, I created a thread in Aro Discussion folder asking for advise. Anyway all seems well now.
Started off with him, a Classic BBXB (I call him POSEIDON, Water god), a Fire Eel (EEL, cant think of something good), a Channa Pleurophthalma (COLONEL, fella has got 3 crabs on his body), a P13 Leo (VACUUM, from the way he eats), I think thats his breed, and a normal Pleco (SUCKER). So all was well and peaceful, Colonel would tail Poseidon everywhere and they were best of friends, the other 3 seemed happy on their own.

TBC....
Carcinogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Carcinogenic
Arofanatic

I thought the tank too bare but didnt wanna overcrowd it so maybe add a few other fishes in? I loved Channas so that was where I was headed. Would not add another Aro for the fact I would want Poseidon to not be injured again. So I went ahead and bought a Channa Pulchra (GT, he was scooting around like lightning), put him in the tank but he was half the size of COLONEL who often bullied him, no choice took him out first.
Went ahead yesterday to search for more Channas, ended with a Channa Marulioides (EMPEROR, his breed is aka Emperor Channa), and a Channa Marulius (GUARDSMAN, because of his colouration), I do suspect he is a Channa Argus though, will find that out next few days.
Added EMPEROR into the tank but he was soon bullied by COLONEL who seemed really aggressive and territorial, tore a little of EMPEROR's finnage. No choice had to take COLONEL out to allow EMPEROR a chance to stake claim to the tank. I figured he would not be so meek if it was his tank, plan was to introduce COLONEL back in later. Whilst in isolation, he tried to jump out of his iso tank and injured himself also, haiz. Finnage heals fast so I'm not too worried.
All this while.... They avoided POSEIDON, and in return he bochup them, left them to their domestic issues.
With that mentality in mind, this morning I just dumped COLONEL, GUARDSMAN and GT all at once into the tank. Only gave the meeker EMPEROR the early advantage. Of course I dumped a whole lot of Tilapia, frogs and shrimps just before that so none would attack the other out of hunger.
All seems fine now... Poseidon still got a bochup attitude, only concerned with his frogs, he basically walloped all the frogs first. Only Guardsman keeps trying to jump out of the tank, making so much noise hitting the cover.
Hope it all stay well this way.... Max I will add is another ray and one more Channa.
Here is the vid this morning, a tad messy at the moment but I dont dare open the cover to clean just yet.

http://youtu.be/cD0hTb1RzG8

Last edited by Carcinogenic; 04-12-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Carcinogenic
Arofanatic

Should be adding white tiles to the base soon I guess...

Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 AM   #4
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Your channa seems more at ease inside the tank than your Aro?
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
Carcinogenic
Arofanatic

Maybe just in this vid... I'm guessing either because of live feeders, prior to this vid he gobbled almost all the frogs, could be lookong for more... Or because of Guardsman.
Btw Poseidon and Guardsman fought... Poseidon lost a scale, sh*t... Guardsman now hiding one corner with tattered dorsal. I need to get some proper hidouts for them.
I'm really intrigued at their behaviour... As mentioned Colonel bullied Emperor when I first put the latter in, he would nose Emperor from below all the time. After reintroducing Colonel back in, roles are reversed but Emperor isnt violent. In fact Colonel now tails both Poseidon and Emperor.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
Carcinogenic
Arofanatic

Emperor settling down well.... Guardsman gotta come out, can see he is too stressed with Poseidon's pressence.
Been a learning experience thus far.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
lichloathe

Interesting share...
can't wait for more updates...
but by mixing so many different types of channa in same tank,
aren't you afraid of world war 3 breaking out?
lichloathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Yujieyeo
Arofanatic

Saw two pumps, you're on two sets of OHF?
Yujieyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
Carcinogenic
Arofanatic

One set but used 2 Evo4 pumps to get faster filtration flow. OCD also, like symmetric look. It was a semi DIY project. I have connected an overflow which runs to another 422 also, the water will only go thru wool and pumped back into this main tank. But the 422 allows me to add vitamins, WC with anti chlorine etc seperately. Technically more water volume too I guess. Should there be a blackout, the overflow has an air escape so it will leave the main tank with 1.5ft deep water. The 422 wont overflow that much also, just small prevention.
Anyway I took Guardsman out, way too territorial. Gonna insert another 2 pleuros tmr, gotta stop naming them, getting confusing.
The pleuro n emperor are best friends now, i guess because they are "pack fish". Interestingly though they seem wary of a tiny peacock channa i added in. Both camps avoid one another. As long as no fights, i'm happy. Let them settle in, cant wait to find a right combi and leave the tank alone too.

Last edited by Carcinogenic; 09-12-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
desmondpeh
Senior Dragon

Best to remove the tiny peacock channa as dwarf channa won't survive in this comm bro.
desmondpeh is offline   Reply With Quote