Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 15-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
bluesurfer

Default how to make diy co2?

anyone here can teach me how to produce diy co2??i have the bottle used to buy those mixtyre from lfs but stop din that cos its expensive...like 10-20 a mths to buy those mixture...so wanna ask how to make co2 with diy mixture...

how in a clear state of mind now so hope u understand what i m trying to say...lol...
Old 16-09-2007, 12:51 AM   #2
Suiguayme

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurfer View Post
anyone here can teach me how to produce diy co2??i have the bottle used to buy those mixtyre from lfs but stop din that cos its expensive...like 10-20 a mths to buy those mixture...so wanna ask how to make co2 with diy mixture...

how in a clear state of mind now so hope u understand what i m trying to say...lol...
Well I remember my science teacher said if you take a straw and blow into a container of water, you're releasing your CO2 into the water as a dissolved form. It might be true. I mean that's how aquarium air pumps function right? It puts dissolved oxygen into the water. So putting bubbles of CO2 may be the same thing, only injecting your carbon dioxide into it. Why don't you give it a try?
Old 16-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #3
plausible

siguayme the co2 in the tank would not be sufficient for the plants if you use that method

Last edited by plausible; 16-09-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 16-09-2007, 01:19 AM   #4
jkfish

Quote:

check out this thread for answers:http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh....php?t=255207:)
Old 16-09-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
bengy

Quote:

bro... if you are really in planted... i suggest you spend a little more to get a CO2 tank.. long term it will be less hassle and give more constant supply of co2. 1 tank full can last for months depends on your bps.. and duration of dosing..

if tight budget, get a second hand set...

anyway you can do a search online for CO2 making... the concoction is imp to give longest lasting dose of CO2... ingredients mainly include yeast and sugar... fermenting of sugar gives of CO2 but make sure it doesn't explode the bottle you using. use a flipper of reactor.. dun use ceremic diffussor..

last time a bro here diy, use coke bottle and use the ceremic diffusor.. you know la ceremic diffussor needs presure to sqeeze co2 through end up with an exploded bottle, lots of cleaning up and a stench
Old 16-09-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
plausible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengy View Post
bro... if you are really in planted... i suggest you spend a little more to get a CO2 tank.. long term it will be less hassle and give more constant supply of co2. 1 tank full can last for months depends on your bps.. and duration of dosing..

if tight budget, get a second hand set...

anyway you can do a search online for CO2 making... the concoction is imp to give longest lasting dose of CO2... ingredients mainly include yeast and sugar... fermenting of sugar gives of CO2 but make sure it doesn't explode the bottle you using. use a flipper of reactor.. dun use ceremic diffussor..

last time a bro here diy, use coke bottle and use the ceremic diffusor.. you know la ceremic diffussor needs presure to sqeeze co2 through end up with an exploded bottle, lots of cleaning up and a stench
yeah agree get a small capacity co2 tank if your is only a small tank
Old 16-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
coryfav
Dragon

Yah, how big/small is your tank, that you're planning to DIY the co2 for?

Actually, I don't quite understand your second sentence.
coryfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
albino
Arofanatic

These are some of the website I come across when I am doing my DIY Co2. Hope they can help you.

http://members.aol.com/nwwise01/DIY_co2.html

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh....php?t=255207:

http://bowheads.org/forums/archive/i...hp/t-1660.html

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/DIY-Yeast-CO2/7

Cheers...
albino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
Suiguayme

Quote:
Originally Posted by plausible View Post
siguayme the co2 in the tank would not be sufficient for the plants if you use that method
Sowwy, me sowwy.
Old 16-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
bluesurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfav View Post
Yah, how big/small is your tank, that you're planning to DIY the co2 for?

Actually, I don't quite understand your second sentence.
its for my 2ft tank...last time my bro try planted tank so he got himself frm a lfs a plastic bottle and a multi level kind of slide for the bubbles to slowly float up(don really noe how to describe) den every mth he have to buy a mixture of powder from lfs to produce co2...so instead of doin that i thought of using a diy mixtyre to produce my own co2...but mixing sugar with yeast izit safe for the fish tank? will any unwanted substance flow into the tank together with co2?