Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 04-01-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
Ah Boy
Arofanatic

Default Newbie queries!!! Algae and NO3

Hi all

I just set up my 3.5ft x 20" x 2.5ft tank during christmas eve and it had been running with live rocks and skimmer since then. As I bought over the whole set-up from a aroreefer, I took over his (1x)leatherand (2x)mushrooms. Plan to have keep mainly fishes with some easy corals...

Specifications:

1. Main tank: 3.5ft x 20" x 2.5ft tank
2. Sump tank: 3 x 1.5 x 1ft (3 compartments)
a. coral chips & 2kg biohome
b. sand (DSB)
c. return comp with pump and skimmer

3. Skimmer: Weipro (something)...can"t remember the model.
4. Lights:1 x 150W MH 14000k (on for 8hrs)
2 x 3ft Dymax NO T5 (from Aquamarin) - seldom on....
5. Chiller: Resun C280 (on together with MH for 8 hrs)

Readings:
PH 8.3
Ammonia: NIL
Nitrite (NO2): NIL
Nitrate(NO3): 10 or 20ppm (using Sera test kit orangy)....colour looks either way...

Questions:
1. Nitrate
I am planning not adding any live stock until before CNY or until NO3 is zero. So how can I reduce my NO3 to zero? I have added the whole bottle of Aquapharm bacteria starter (in tablet form) from holding tank to main tank.

2. Algae

I noticed that my sand bed is turning brownish and green algae starts to invade my liverocks...What should I do??? I read some articles and one of the bro's thread regarding the algae outbreak and many bro recommend the turbo snails and algae blenny. Should I add some snails and algae blenny? Will this vastly affect item 1 above?

Help!!!!!! pardon me for my ignorance cos it seems so difficult to understand a lot of the things.

Please advise if I have missed out any crucial thing in my above set-up.

Will post some pics probably tomorrow

Regards
Wai Yip
Ah Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

For most marine systems, its very difficult to have 0 nitrate. Readings of 10-20ppm is okay.

As for the brown algae, most likely they are diatoms feeding on the silicates from tapwater. No major problem as they will usually disappear when the tank matures.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
KaLiB

Biological controls like lawnmower blennies and snails have limited effects against algae growth. They do consume algae but not to the point they keep the tank very clean. You will still experience having patches of algae in the tank.

As the tank matures, these algaes would slowly go away, it would take time though.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
Ah Boy
Arofanatic

Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
Biological controls like lawnmower blennies and snails have limited effects against algae growth. They do consume algae but not to the point they keep the tank very clean. You will still experience having patches of algae in the tank.

As the tank matures, these algaes would slowly go away, it would take time though.
Hi Shifus....

Does it mean that I can just leave my tank alone, let the tank cycle for another 1 to 2 weeks....then introduce my fishes??? Do I need to cut-short the time period of the MH (currently at 8hrs)???

I really feel like going fish shopping this weekend and introduce some new fishes to my set-up but afraid of an ammonia spike...

Regards
Wai Yip
Old 04-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #5
KaLiB

IMO, since you just took over the setup and re set it up, i would suggest to let it run for another 1-2weeks before adding in any new livestock. This is to play very safe as there could be bb loss and die-offs from the transfer.Its always better to wait than to rush and cause an ammonia spike and begin to regret.

The algae won't go off so soon, could take a few weeks or months.

You can cut it shorter by another 1hr if you choose to do so, anything less than 6hrs photoperiod is unadvisable IMO. I believe quite alot of us here have a tank photoperiod of around 8hrs.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
clkong
Arofanatic

i have similar problem, haven't even cycle for 1 week and can see diatoms liao
can we brush away the brown algae during this period?

Quote:
IMO, since you just took over the setup and re set it up, i would suggest to let it run for another 1-2weeks before adding in any new livestock. This is to play very safe as there could be bb loss and die-offs from the transfer.Its always better to wait than to rush and cause an ammonia spike and begin to regret.

The algae won't go off so soon, could take a few weeks or months.

You can cut it shorter by another 1hr if you choose to do so, anything less than 6hrs photoperiod is unadvisable IMO. I believe quite alot of us here have a tank photoperiod of around 8hrs.
clkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
KaLiB

There's no point in brushing away the algae, it would just grow again. Unless your referring to those growing on the tank walls, then its useful as it keeps the glass clear for your viewing pleasure.

Did you leave the lights on during cycling? If you did, there's no need to switch on the lights during cycling.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
clkong
Arofanatic

yes, 8 hrs initially, then cut down to 4 hrs after the diatoms bloom (now at least not getting worst),

what is the reason for no require of light during cycling, is it due to because since the LR is cured, thus not really necessary?

apologies to Ah Boy, if i have interrupt your thread.

Quote:
There's no point in brushing away the algae, it would just grow again. Unless your referring to those growing on the tank walls, then its useful as it keeps the glass clear for your viewing pleasure.

Did you leave the lights on during cycling? If you did, there's no need to switch on the lights during cycling.
clkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
KaLiB

There's no need to switch on any lights during the cycling period. You don't have any corals in the tank at the moment, so you don't need to leave the lights on. It'll just speed up growth of algae and waste your electricity.

Even if the coralline algae on the LR does bleach, its alright since they would grow again in future.

If you have any further queries, suggest you post a new thread instead of hijacking this thread.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:24 AM   #10
Ah Boy
Arofanatic

Default Snails for blenny to help???

Hi clkong

No Prob....quite informative for me too.....

I have some mushrooms and a leather so got to on my lights...

Should I get 2 snails or blenny to at least help clear some algae...so the tank does not look so awful??? I think the bioload should be ok right for a start...then I can take my own sweet time to slowly choose the fish that I intend to keep. Plan to introduce fish just before CNY so that my tank will be swee swee during CNY.

Regards
Wai Yip

Quote:
There's no need to switch on any lights during the cycling period. You don't have any corals in the tank at the moment, so you don't need to leave the lights on. It'll just speed up growth of algae and waste your electricity.

Even if the coralline algae on the LR does bleach, its alright since they would grow again in future.

If you have any further queries, suggest you post a new thread instead of hijacking this thread.