Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 11-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
alcohologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttShun View Post
snappers? used to keep them, emperor snappers are pretty
saw a threadfin snapper at pasir ris earlier this week [when i got my coney] but their max size is quite daunting. emperors get even bigger
thanks for the suggestion though, if i come across a smallish specimen of one of the smaller species, i'll probably snap it up. a bluestripe snapper would be very nice, i remember seeing this species in our LFS even, a long time ago.
i'd appreciate it if you guys could keep half an eye out for the fish mentioned here
Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
davidw
Dragon

its difficult to add in another grouper, I only manage to comm 2 or 3 groupers for awhile but eventually both the panthers killed my lyretail... livestock choice has to be carefully planned... IMO yur tank could hold up to 4 to 5 predators... I would want to add a trigger, maybe an eel, a snapper, a wrasse (get a napoleon?)....
davidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
davidw
Dragon

if u can find a big size angel fish or batfish, can be considered as it can hold its own against the other predators...... my wishlist include bumphead parrot (sou mei)
davidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
HuttShun
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcohologist View Post
saw a threadfin snapper at pasir ris earlier this week [when i got my coney] but their max size is quite daunting. emperors get even bigger
thanks for the suggestion though, if i come across a smallish specimen of one of the smaller species, i'll probably snap it up. a bluestripe snapper would be very nice, i remember seeing this species in our LFS even, a long time ago.
i'd appreciate it if you guys could keep half an eye out for the fish mentioned here
hehehe, i love predatory marine fishes, if i have the chance again, will keep lionfish, ray, emperor snapper and maybe panther grouper!

hw abt harlequin sweetlips? they look quite goofy though.
HuttShun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
alcohologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw View Post
its difficult to add in another grouper, I only manage to comm 2 or 3 groupers for awhile but eventually both the panthers killed my lyretail... livestock choice has to be carefully planned... IMO yur tank could hold up to 4 to 5 predators... I would want to add a trigger, maybe an eel, a snapper, a wrasse (get a napoleon?)....
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw View Post
if u can find a big size angel fish or batfish, can be considered as it can hold its own against the other predators...... my wishlist include bumphead parrot (sou mei)
i'm also looking for predators that are easy to feed. angels/batfish/wrasses/sometimes even triggerfish can be finicky or messy eaters. grouper/lionfish types that gulp down chunks of meat would be best. i like big mouthed fish i'm also trying to keep bioload down, perhaps four fish max, and feeding moderately.
whoa, napoleon wrasse? another huge species, and endangered at that
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttShun View Post
hehehe, i love predatory marine fishes, if i have the chance again, will keep lionfish, ray, emperor snapper and maybe panther grouper!

hw abt harlequin sweetlips? they look quite goofy though.
haha i think they are quite cute when young, but get to be huge unattractive monsters.
when this small 65g is decommissioned, i plan to get a FGT for a breeding group of small sharks

found arc-eye hawks at aquamarin! they are within walking distance from me
but the fish are very small, 1-1.5 inches. contemplating growing one out in my sump, should be easy to feed frozen mysis. but not sure how fast they will grow.

Last edited by alcohologist; 11-02-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #16
jake800

just make a community trigger tank...alot of pple do so...you can get a niger,clown,humu-humu,pink tail and many more ..view this web..http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...es.cfm?c=15+44
Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #17
alcohologist

i have nothing against triggers, i am actually very partial to clowns and the various picasso-types. but they do tend to be messy eaters for predators [they chew instead of gulp] plus they need more frequent feedings than fish like bass/eels. if i had some better filtration i'd love to get a clown trigger.
since i'm limiting the amount of fish in the tank, i'd rather they not all be in the same family anyway.
what do you guys think of spiny blue lobsters? will it maim my fish in their sleep?
Old 13-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #18
KaLiB

I think the spiny blue lobster is likely to maim your fish in their sleep. Better to avoid it IMO.
Old 22-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #19
dnsfpl
Dragon

have a 4" Volitan Lionfish in my 2x1x1.5(H) tank

planning to add a tankmate for it

any suggestion?

cheers
dnsfpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #20
Galatea
Arofanatic

get the western blue devil thats newly available !
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote