Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 05-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
pandoratis

Default Red/white Ranchu qn

Hi all,

What constitutes a Red/White ranchu?

Must it be purely red and white? Or those orange-ish ranchus are considered red white as well?
pandoratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
Jranchu

IMHO, most LFS classify red white ranchu as having white as part of the color of the ranchu no matter it is orange to red.

I believe the ranchu color range should be yellow then orange then red.

Most red ranchu develop only with good genes and lots of sunlight and algae.

If u buy orangy red white ranchu at say 3 to 4 inch, sometimes the color is more or less fixed so hoping to get red overtime is quite difficult even with using color enhancers.

Color baby ranchus will develop color more as it changes from black to yellow then darkened to orange then red if genes and conditions are good.

Just my observation
Jranchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
pandoratis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jranchu View Post
IMHO, most LFS classify red white ranchu as having white as part of the color of the ranchu no matter it is orange to red.

I believe the ranchu color range should be yellow then orange then red.

Most red ranchu develop only with good genes and lots of sunlight and algae.

If u buy orangy red white ranchu at say 3 to 4 inch, sometimes the color is more or less fixed so hoping to get red overtime is quite difficult even with using color enhancers.

Color baby ranchus will develop color more as it changes from black to yellow then darkened to orange then red if genes and conditions are good.

Just my observation
Right! So to get really pure red white ranchu, should get from young age?
pandoratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
Jranchu

Genetic make up and conditions during growth will determine the final color of ranchu.

If u see baby ranchu and look super red then u should start worrying that will that color fade with time as u do not know whether color enhancer had been used in excess as baby ranchu should not have such coloration naturally.

If choosing larger ranchu , then choose deeper red coloration if possible, as even with fading due to insufficient conditions such as sunlight and algae the color will still not be too pale .

Fading color from first bought to under own care is common if exessive color enhancer is used by farmer. This is from my own limited experience.

Hope it helps.
Jranchu is offline   Reply With Quote